Reïnstall WXP SP2 and PG configuration.

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Image, Mar 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Image

Image Registered Member

When i want to do a complete reinstall for my windows xp sp2 and install PG how should i set up the PG configuration in order to make sure all program's that will be instalated on the pc afterwards will work fine and that PG is doing it's job correctly.

Further do i still need several spyware killers now that i will use PG.

I'm not so good in this register subject allthough i see very well the benefits of this program, but to fully understand everything is something else.

Hope to hear from anybody.

Thanks in advance.

2. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

I would, and recently did, do the reinstall by what is considered the most safe and secure method. Gather all of your Cd's and download all programs/utilities/drivers that you do not have a CD for and burn them to one. Then physically disconnect your computer from the Internet, unplug the phone line Ethernet (LAN) connection or turn off any wireless routers connected tot he Internet, and only then reinstall Windows. Next setup all of your programs, with PG being one of the last ones installed. This way, with PG in learning mode, you only have to go through and run your programs for PG to automatically set the needed permissions for each program.

If by spyware killers you are talking about; SpyBot S&D, AdAware, and other similar apps, then I would say yes/no. I consider them another tool in my security strategy, and only rely on them to help keep my computer free of spyware.

I do not understand what you mean by "register subject", since PG does not work with or directly protect the registry. However it does indirectly protect the registry, by the action of alerting you when something unexpected is wanting to run or do one of the actions/functions that PG watches and protects. Blocking such will prevent any spyware from running an being able to install its self and possibly make registry changes/additions/deletions.

I hope I have explained things clearly, and wishing you the best with the reinstall.

3. Learner

Learner Registered Member

1. Uninstall PG, AV and Firewall.
    2. Make sure Ethernet AND Phone jacks are disconnected.
    3. Re-install OS, use the long version, the short version isn't reliable. Installing OS use phone connection for verification, then unplug.

4. Make any security settings here with OS, like logging activity and errors.
    5. If you use MS Visual Studio.NET this programs is next. Then rest of MS software.
    6. Then do updates for MS, don't update soundcard drivers, they actually can screw up your the rest of your installs bad.
    7. Install the rest of programs, except for Soundcard drivers, Firewall, AV and PG.
    8. Run program like Spybot and/or Ad-Aware and clean if needed.
    9. Install AV... do a scan
    10. Install Firewall
    11. Install PG and re-boot put PG in learner mode and click all Global protection options.
    12. Re-start computer twice
    13. Turn off PG and Firewall and AV and update or install soundcard drivers. Restart.
    14. Turn PG and Firewall and AV back on. Restart.
    15. Run programs that you are normally going to run, except for games. Also, run AV scans, Spybot scans, Ad-Aware scans, also run Diskdefrag. Don't run programs like Yahoo, AIM, or sharing files programs.
    16. Take PG out of learning mode and run programs like Yahoo, AIM and sharing files type programs if used... DON'T add these programs to protection list, because they are not secure programs.

17. Turn on Block new and changed applications setting.
    18. Tweaking is needed here..

remove rundll.exe from Proctection and Security list.
    if MS installer program is in this list remove it as well
    services.exe unclick Install drivers and service box

Hope this helps.

When ever you do an update turn off Firewall and PG until, update is complete.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.