ReHIPS

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by MrBrian, May 24, 2014.

1. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

how did you get into the beta?

the message on their website makes it sound like the beta has actually ended and launch is imminent, not very nice to hear its actually just a closed shop product and not ready for release yet.

also what about this older 1.x version?

they have gone all the way from 1.x to 2.x just as a closed beta?

2. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

then dont advertise it, make videos etc. if it isnt ready.

3. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

ReHIPS is still a very young product. ReCrypt is trying to develop interest in their product - almost in the same manner as Excubits.

ReCrypt was giving away beta tester licenses for over a year, but very few people - like only a handful - ever responded. So, I suppose they decided for this beta testing cycle to just go with the most committed testers.

ReHIPS does work as it now stands - so, in terms of protecting the system, it will do that.

During beta testing us testers bombarded ReCrypt with a very long list of suggested improvements - especially in the area of usability.

Admittedly, the development is slow because there are only 3 developers and they are committed to quality.

So when I say it isn't ready yet, I am recommending to wait until the next stable release so one can benefit from usability improvements that are forthcoming.

With ReHIPS, if used as it is intended to be used, there is no absolute need to add multiple additional security products - but you can do that if you so choose. All that I have needed is a good adblocker - like Adguard.

4. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

@hjlbx
    Thanks for the enlightenment. It's good to know there's out there a very powerful and robust security solution for the competitive future.

5. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

ReHIPS has to be used in a very specific way for maximum security. It takes some time to get used to it. Us beta testers did our best to make suggestions for further improved usability.

We all just have to wait. I would rather wait months for a sold stable than get a partially improved one that requires weekly fixes.

6. guest

guest Guest

i was selected like the others because i tried the older versions and reported my experience to them. for the current beta they wanted their beta-testers used to the product and with some experiences in testing security products. I guess they try to avoid some so-called "testers" that just want a free license and do nothing in return^^

it was for the last version, not the current one.

no, it was released , but few people heard of it or cared; except the few of us which became beta testers

yep the open beta was for previous version.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2016
  7. guest

guest Guest

Exactly

8. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

according to malware tips 2.1 stable was released but then pulled for a unknown reason, very strange actions from this company.

The opening is still there on my laptop as it has no HIPS, but if they dont get a move on I may just buy an extra ESET license and use that instead.

I always laugh when those who dont need to wait tell others to wait for something they already have.

9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Can you guys perhaps post some screenshots?

10. Rasheed187

I'm not sure, I've watched some of the videos and I was not impressed. I did notice it used separate desktops for containment. But it's hard to beat Sandboxie, I also prefer to use virtualization.

11. Rasheed187

12. Rasheed187

Thanks for the info, the developers do seem to have a lot of knowledge about Windows internals. But like I said, it's hard to beat Sandboxie. But anyway, I think we're going off topic now, so let us all discuss this stuff in the ReHIPS thread.

13. guest

guest Guest

they are changing many things , the soft itself will be far improved and their marketing system , will be changed too. So it is better to make people wait than giving them something outdated.

if you look for another HIPS, ESET one is not the best choice , i rather go with Comodo.

so do i , i laugh to impatient people preferring to use a unfinished product instead of waiting a polished one :D

"patience is a virtue"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2016
  14. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

It can run programs in its own sandbox.

15. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

ReHIPS can run programs inside an isolated container. Isolated container = Limited User Account with additional resrouce\file system access\privilege restrictions. So, in essence, each ReHIPS Isolated Environment is a hardened Limited User Account.

This is best way to describe it.

16. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

comodo is very poor, cripples the system as is very bloated and heavy.

ESET is poor if relying on ootb config I agree, but is good enough with custom rules I add.

17. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

what happens when 2.2 is done and then devs think, "oh lets make more changes and not release"
    then same for 2.3
    and so on?

18. guest

guest Guest

sorry i don't know the future and honestly i don't care, i'm just using what i have at disposition. :D

19. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

ReCrypt has road-map for ReHIPS.

Developers are perfectionists - so they won't release until they are satisfied that each release is ready. They will not give ETA.

Us beta testers bombarded ReCrypt with a large "To Do" list - so I wouldn't expect 2.2.0 stable to be released quickly... most everything that was recommended was for better usability and more optimal user experience. ReCrypt takes that sort of thing seriously - and it's nice to see a development team, for once, who is so very focused on providing the user with a good experience.

20. guest

guest Guest

yes lol , bombarded isn't even strong enough to describe it :p

21. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

3 beta testers handed them a 1 kg bowl of cooked rice. Now they have to sort through every single grain.

Confucius say: "Be patient..."

22. Rehips is Chrome Sandbox mechanisms plus Anti-Execution made applicable (useable) for general purpose. Looking at some of the beta testers, e.g. someone familiar with Sandboxie and (hassle) of using windows internal security (guest) and someone with an explicit signature "highest protection with lowest hassle wins" (hjlbx) curtainly sets the standard high of what to expect. I am very curious on how easy it is to use Rehips and to "train" Rehips in protecting an application.

23. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

@Windows_Security

If anything, using ReHIPS is somewhat of an altered desktop experience - so I have done my best to make recommendations to minimize the initial user "discombobulation..."

24. guest

guest Guest

If you are familiar with any basic HIPS and the "parent/child" thingy of programs , it is not difficult to handle. Then after you can edit the said programs' rule via its Access privileges (Rights, integrity levels, etc...), objects permissions (folders, registry, etc...) and other variables (file access, username, etc...) to fit your needs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.