ReHIPS

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by MrBrian, May 24, 2014.

1. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

2. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

ReHIPS has been stable since very first release. Because ReHIPS uses internal Windows security mechanisms it is very stable.

ReHIPS betas are essentially refinement of features, fixing language, adjustment of settings, etc.

ReCrypt does things a little differently than what most users would expect - based upon prior experience with other vendors' betas.

3. guest

guest Guest

it is in beta at the moment, so don't expect a non-beta link. and they are smart enough to not let obsolete versions available to people.

4. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Excellent description and breakdown. I've been following ReHIPS discussion for a while now because I appreciate the concept and use of internal mechanisms.

Do you know if ReHIPS utilizes much hooking, whether that be kernel-mode hooks or user-mode hooks? Or do the developers try to avoid that?

5. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

No hooking - except for a few ReHIPS GUI User-Mode hooks.

6. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

There's a couple of hooks for the GUI - that's it. fixer stated as much...

7. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

From what fixer said I think it must be only a few - a handful at most - which ain't nothin' compared to everything else that runs on Windows.

8. guest

guest Guest

yes, it is what he said; it is why ReHIPS is a top notch app, that try to avoid to weaken the OS.

9. jacemace

jacemace Registered Member

Hi, just started using this thanks to wilders and malwaretips - really like it, but big problems have started occurring - it blocks firefox from connecting to the internet, which is the only browser I use. It does not block iexplore, which I don't use. Firefox started out set as allow restricted by rehips, I have set it to allow. When firefox was set as allow restricted, a rehips floating widget would appear, and if I accidentally clicked the widget, windows would become inoperable - the login screen colour would appear in the background, and nothing would function - I would unplug the computer and remove the battery. But that is not a problem, as I have set firefox to allow parent and allow executed and allow network access. The problem is rehips won't allow firefox to connect, it may be firefox addons, I'm not sure. What can be done? Will delete or update help? I will have to uninstall rehips, if firefox continues not to impeded by rehips. Here is a picture of the settings for firefox in rehips.

edit - so, just when you write something, the occurrence changes - now rehips is blocking internet explorer - I don't use it anyway.

I've added other screenshots of firefox settings, which I didn't see before. Not sure how to configure these.https://i.imgur.com/ObU1Kr4.png https://i.imgur.com/MdQjPJk.png

https://i.imgur.com/3L2AI0f.png

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  10. jacemace

Yes, this is rehips 1.2 - would like to try rehips 2.2.0 - Malwaretips says you can you get 2.2.0 from the request page only.
    I would like firefox to connect to the internet - it only does this when rehips 1.2 is disabled.
    I have looked at rehips log file and have now found it stopped cleanmem. I can not find cleanmem in the unbound applications list.

For now though, I would like firefox to connect to the internet with rehips 1.2 enabled, not disabled. Rehips did not start out blocking firefox from connecting to the internet, but now it does.
    As said, I would also like to try rehips 2.2.0, instead of 1.2.

Thanks for the reply SHvFl.

11. jacemace

12. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Click the RE-hips checkbox allow network to allow network traffic - and make sure your firewall rules allows FF to connect.

13. jacemace

I am using rehips 2.2 now - instead of 1.2. In rehips 2.2 what is the difference between pro and free?

14. guest

guest Guest

if you are using Chrome or any multi-processes browser , ReHIPS will tell you are on a demo, and the browser will not load.

15. guest

guest Guest

indeed, but hard to do :D

16. guest

guest Guest

Is it "more secure" to start isolated applications on a separate desktop?

17. jacemace

I don't use internet explorer often, but I tested it in rehips - iexplore.exe is set in rehips by default to run isolated. Rehips has a message that says - "for your security this program was started in an isolated environment on a seperate desktop..." The floating widget is called the desktop selector. You can choose to click the top left, or top right square - red is the default tone for the isolated desktop, and grey for the standard desktop - the squares switch sides in the desktop selector widget, depending what screen you are on, isolated or standard. the rehips widget will disappear once you close the isolated program, but sometimes is stuck for a second or so, and delays disappearing.

I am running rehips with - avast, comodo, spyshelter, appguard, zemana antimalware - working good. I was running webroot complete, but it was interfering with and blocking comodo firewall and hips, and I couldn't get webroot to exclude comodo in any settings - so I never ran rehips with webroot. There are posts in the rehips forum that says rehips runs fine with webroot. I was also using hitmanpro alert and ruiware winantiransom, but I also uninstalled those before trying rehips, because they were really affecting the computer, and blocking a lot of things they shouldn't, and really slowing the computer down. A rehips forum post says hitmanpro alert doesn't work well with rehips - some have guessed because hitmanpro alert doesn't like rehips injections.

A question about rehips - how long should I use the learning mode?

Thanks.

18. guest

guest Guest

You have way too much HIPS-like products , they may create underlying conflicts (because drivers) not forcibly visible to you. REHIPS + Appguard is more than enough, i used this combo for a while and it is already very strong.
    Comodo and Spyshelter (both having an HIPS) should be removed if you choose to keep ReHIPS.

even if you dont keep ReHIPS, don't use both of them at same time

19. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

Given I have still yet to install rehips, does it still work if you dont isolate? it sounds more like a sandbox alternative than a hips program.

20. jacemace

Thanks for posting on running too many hips. Will run comodo firewall and no spyshelter

Rehips starts maximized - is there a way to start it minimized. It also starts showing the registration page showing in front of it - is there a way to start it without the registration page?

21. jacemace

I have now checked the box in log settings under pop-up called program terminated - it is not ticked by default. Now rehips shows me what processes it is terminating. It is terminating svchost and taskeng from microsoft. Is this usual for rehips?

22. jacemace

Rehips is not using the settings that I apply - it says it is terminating taskeng.exe by microsoft.

23. jacemace

I think rehips is telling me things are terminated - meaning they are closed. I closed winrar, and rehips says it is terminated. I'm not sure of the difference between rehips terminating something, and the computer user.

24. jacemace

you are right, it has no real use, and is annoying - I will change back the option.

25. jacemace

is there any way to start rehips minimized - if not I will uninstall it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.