Regular Backup: TI stops when files are in usage

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Hermann Rauscher, Feb 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermann Rauscher

Hermann Rauscher Registered Member

Please excuse my sometimes "weird" English, but my native language is German.

I bought True Image 9.0 to make daily backups from files stored on different computers to a USB hard drive, which is connected to one of my computers. The computers are attached within a cable LAN (not wireless).

The scheduled backup works, but stops when a file is in use (e.g. the file is being worked on one computer) and asks what to do (Ignore, Repeat, Cancel).

Since I want the backup work "automatically" during night time, I would like to always Ignore those files and want the backup to continue (without manually choosing "Ignore").

I could not find any help in the manual.

Can anybody tell me what to do?

I am using True Image 9.0 (German version) Build 2.293 on a WIN 2000 platform.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Hermann

2. Hermann Rauscher

Anybody with the same problem out here?

Is here anybody who has the same problem (when a file which is supposed to be backupped is currently used, the Backup stops until manually "ignore" is chosen, which is very annoying, since the backup does not continue automatically)?

Or does it work with your version of True Image?

Or is it just an easy setting (which I could not find in the manual) that makes True Image skip those files automatically (without my manually action)?

Thanks for your help or your contribution!

Regards

Hermann

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: Anybody with the same problem out here?

Hello Hermann,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

As far as I can understand, you use Acronis True Image 9.0 to create a file-based backups of the files and folders residing in a shared folders on a several computers connected to your local network saving the resulting images to the external USB hard drive connected to the computer which is in your local network as well.

If that's the case then please be aware that when Acronis True Image 9.0 creates a disk\partition image or a file-based backup it uses a special method of "snapshot" image creation which allows it to create an image of all the data residing on a source disk\partition or in a source folder including files and folders that are currently in use by another application(s). However, this method can be used on the local computer only (computer which has the application installed) and so when Acronis True Image 9.0 creates a file-based backup of the files and folders residing in a shared folder it uses an alternative approach based on the file system structure. In case of using an alternative approach there is no way to backup files and folders that are currently in-use by another application(s) without receiving the error message you mentioned above.

The only workaround I can suggest you is to install Acronis True Image 9.0 on each computer you want to perform the backup operations on and schedule the corresponding tasks on each machine separately.

Please be aware that according to Acronis software licensing policy, you should purchase one copy of Acronis program per every computer where it will be used.

If my assumption is not correct then please provide us with the more detailed information on the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  4. Hermann Rauscher

Thanks so far, but...

Yes, exactly. I am mostly using True Image for daily backups of several folders stored on different computers. True Image is installed on one of the computers. All machines are part of a LAN.

Actually it does not bother me that files which are currently in use are not backupped, so when the error message appears I chose "ignore" then.

The problem is that when True Image finds a file in use, it stops the whole backup process until I make my decision what to do. Usually my backups are done overnight, so the next morning I find True Image only 10% through the backup process waiting for my action, which is not very helpful as you can imagine.

I would appreciate to find a way to tell True Image in advance that every time it finds a file in use, it just ignores it and continues the backup process without me having to chose "ignore" by hand.

I do not really want to do this, since my "solution" of the problem sounds so easy.

Can you tell me if there is a way to just skip files in use by changing a setting somewhere?

Thanks for your help and your patience!

Regards

Hermann Rauscher

---
    please excuse my sometimes "weird" English, my native language is German.

5. Acronis Support

Re: Thanks so far, but...

Hello Hermann,

I'm afraid that it will be not possible to exclude files that are currently in use during the backup process automatically. The reason is that you cannot identify what files are going to be used at the moment when the backup process is running.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

6. Hermann Rauscher

Hello Kirill,

from my point of view it is definitely not necessary to identify those files before the backup process. True Image actually identifies those files during the backup process and asks for user action. After choosing "Ignorieren" (ignore) True Image skips those files and continues the backup process.

Why is it not possible to skip the question what to do by just being able to tell True Image to always skip files in use, so the process will continue?

Would not that be a really easy feature to include?

Regards

Hermann

7. Acronis Support

Hello Hermann,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I had forwarded your suggestion to implement such a feature. Our Development Team will certainly consider it and probably it will be implemented in future.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

8. Horst M?ller

Horst M?ller Registered Member

Hello, I have exactly the same problem.
    I use TI 9.1 to backup several files from some network shares onto a seperate computer. Like Herrmann I searched for an option like "always skip if file is in use" or something. This would be very helpfull, because TrueImage always waits for user interaction and doesn´t continue with the backup, so at the morning I often see that a major part of the backup has not been processed.

An option how TI should handels such errors would be very helpfull, because it is better so skip a handfull of files then miss 20, 50 or 80% of the whole backup because TI waits for a user click.

Hope to get such a function in one of the next releases.

Greets
    Horst Müller

9. Horst M?ller

Hello,
    I know that my reply was written a long time after the last posting in this thread, but getting no answer is a bit weak for a support team.

The isue described by Herman and me is huge problem for us, because all my full backups at the weekends are interrupted because of a missing file or a file in use.

I like TrueImage, because it offers several options with all the competitors don´t offer. But if this isue won´t be solved soon, I have to buy another software, because incomplete backups are the very worst case for me.

Hope to get an answer soon.

Greets from Germany.

Horst Müller

10. Horst M?ller

11. Horst M?ller

The problem isn´t solved yet, so *UP*

12. Horst M?ller

I have just updated to the latest Version of TU Wks 9.1 Build 3832
    There ist a new option "Ignore all bad sectors".

Why is there not an additional option "autoskip, if file in use" or "Ignore Files in use"?

I really like TU, but if this issue isn´t solved soon, I have to get another product, because every 3rd or 4th backup is interrupted because of files in use.

Can the support team please write a few words and tell me, if this is possible or not?

Regards

13. Acronis Support

Hello Horst Müller,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that the behavior described by Hermann Rauscher is related to the Home version of Acronis True Image and this is not the issue of Acronis True Image Home version as such. As Alexey described in post #3 this is a normal behavior of Acronis True Image Home version. Please also be aware that the suggestion to implement such a feature was made to Acronis Development Team will certainly consider it and probably it will be implemented in future.

Since you are using Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation I can suggest that you install Acronis True Image Agent on the remote computer and using Acronis True Image Management Console connect to that remote computer and perform the backup procedure. This way you will be able to backup files/folders on the remote computer including files and folders that are currently in use by another application(s). You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.