RegSeeker, CrapCleaner

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    There have been posts about RegSeeker and other cleaning tools and utilities recently. Most of the users claim they have never run into any problem with it. My personal experience is as follows:
    After running RegSeeker and having allowed it to clean what it thought was surplus, I had to reconfigure Acrobat 7.0. It also removed some of the SpywareBlaster keys.
    On the other hand, people warned from using CrapCleaner except to empty temporary files and such, because it's been known to break down some applications with certain users. Now, Murphy takes his hold here, this did not happen.
    My question is:
    If registry utilities rules are so 'loosely' built, what is the chance of one damaging his computer more than cleaning it? And comparing very very different experiences from user to user, how is one to decide on what utility to use. Apparentlly, it's a trial-and-error process, because if these applications are in the end tailored to one's particular needs, then one must go through the painful experience of broken keys until he/she gets finally satisifed with a product. Or at least live in quiet, thinking since no alerts pop up and everything works ok on the surface, that the utility is good.
    So what to do?
    Personally, I also use RegSupreme and this one (hopefully) does it job without ruining stuff. What should I opt for?
    Mrk

2. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Any one you use..If you do not know what the key is for..don't delete or clean it :'( ..with that said..I use regseeker..used it yesterday on a friends PC with winxp sp2. It found and I let it clean 1259 entires..that was after I uninstalled the standard AOL and Netscape and other programs that come installed standard on eMachine PC. He also had that Acrobat 7.0 reader and the Acrobat 7.0 Photo thingie and regseeker did not break the application.

But back to your problem....regseeker by DEFAULT backs up all you do delete... that file area backups within regseeker is so easy to find..and all you have to do is reverse the process..so in my opinion..I surely would not have gone through the steps you did to prove to myself that Acrobat 7.0 was whacked out by RegSeeker..just replace the keys back. ;)

Here is another interesting thread for you..

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=474602#post474602

3. AvianFlux

AvianFlux Registered Member

RegSeeker has been a dear friend from the day I began using it.

It's never caused any problems that I'm aware of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.