REGSEEKER Corrupted Windows Media player 11 (Vista)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JazzyJD, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JazzyJD

JazzyJD Registered Member

Ran regseeker and cleaned up some reg keys, and wmp 11 on vista home premium stopped displaying video. I have all necessary codecs (ffdshow, haali media splitter, divx, xivd, etc). I'm trying to find a way to restore the registry file that regseeker corrupted which is :

Hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\MediaPlayer\player\extention\types

I can't navigate to the key or alter it in any way. I first discovered it was corrupt while trying to install the Vista Codec Package and I got this error:

"Error 1402: you are unable to access Hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\MediaPlayer\player\extention\types"

Any tips, suggestions, or info to head me in the right direction concerning this problem would be appreciated. Thanks

2. munckman

munckman Registered Member

JazzyJD,

Trying to "Restore" the registry entries that you allowed RegSeeker to remove would be a good first step.;) If that fails to get you back, you could try a reinstall of wmp 11 on vista home premium which should get you going again.

Then, if wmp 11 is functional, you could try the Codec install and see where you are.

3. JazzyJD

I've tried restoring the backup registry files already, the problem continues. I've also tried reinstalling vista SP1 to see if it re-writes wmp files but that didn't work either.

How would I go about re-installing wmp 11 on vista? Wmp 11 is a part of the OS, you can't uninstall it and there is no current download of wmp 11 for vista on the Microsoft website since wmp 11 comes packaged in the OS. The only available download for wmp 11 is for xp. When I tried to install it on my system, it said the version I was trying to install is older than the version on my computer...

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Jazzy,

Rt clk the codec pack's installer, "run as administrator."

S

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Perhaps dial-a-fix?

6. JazzyJD

I've tried running the codec package as an administrator already as well, still get the same error.

Dial a fix doesnt support vista yet.

7. GlobalForce

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  8. JazzyJD

No, I had no prior problems with video display until I ran regseeker. I noticed my problem the day I ran regseeker for the first time. I can't link anything else to the issue because I hadn't installed and new software or done anything unusual outside of running regseeker in days...

Thanks for the advice with registry cleaners. I'm slowly realizing they are pretty pointless and now first hand, that they can be damaging to your OS.

I guess I'll try repairing windows and hope that in its repair function that it rewrites the necessary wmp files and fixes my problem. I'm sort of confused on how to go about it though. On most message boards they suggest to run the vista setup on the dvd AFTER vista has booted up, not to boot the computer from cd. From there go through the setup as if you were installing windows for the first time and this repairs vista? There is no "repair" function on the disc that I can see. I'm just worried about going through this installation and losing my files.

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5499/27930408uz5.jpg

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5593/44956113id2.jpg

To me, this means everything will be re-written and I'll lose my files.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  9. GlobalForce

Doubting you'll need this page, go with this one if you can. Cataloged here http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html are a few Vista/WMP 11 specific note's. I recall reading setting's should remain intact. If skeptical, burn off what's important and hope for the best. As time permit's you'll want to investigate imaging application's while learning to lay off "automated" reg cleaning.

S

10. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

Not really a problem.
    Considering the fact that there are other better (and FREE) alternatives out there with more/improved functionality.

Just use CCCP or download a media player with built-in codecs (Zoom Player, MPlayer, VLC, K-Lite, etc)

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have never used them myself. In my opinion, for whatever that's worth, for them to be effective, safe and foolproof means that whoever wrote the reg cleaner needs to know as much about the registry and windows as Microsoft, something that seems highly unlikely to me...

Anyway, is there any way you can do a standard system restore type recovery of things? If there is a restore point prior to the reg cleanup, then it might restore things to where they were.

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

@JazzyJD,
    For future reference, you can download WMP 11 from FileHippo, then use Windows Update to apply any/all patches.

Note: I have used CrapCleaner since 2004 (version 1.16) without an incident and never needed to use any Registry backup created by the program. Opinions on this software range from - the name Crap aptly applies - to - the greatest thing since sliced bread. You'll be the judge.

13. GlobalForce

PS - If there's ever an issue caused by a particular entry in your registry, favor stability and learn to edit manually.

Using Regedit to edit the Windows Vista registry - http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1151313

Can't use Window's recovery because of a bad registry entry? Boot Linux - http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

========================

*For onlooker's working with a pre-installed copy of Vista .... http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ndows-vista-repair-disk-if-you-dont-have-one/

S

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  14. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.