RegSeeker- Anyone use??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JerryM, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

How is this program, and is it risky for an average user?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

It does make a backup of what it deletes.

I use it mainly for it's reg search function which finds all entries at once instead of one at a time.

But problems can occur with any reg cleaner which is why I use imaging software as my main backup.

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

One of my must have programs.

4. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Yes...RegSeeker is very risky for average pc user. It's one of the most agressive registry cleaner and it really goes deep into the registry. :blink: :gack:

I only use this for finding and deleting some left-overs that was confirmed to be "left behinds" by past uninstalled programs, and I am not tempted to touch the other things it finds. You must be very sure in selecting what to delete or else some of your installed programs features will be gone and you have to re-installed them again. :doubt:

I uses EasyCleaner 2 for cleaning the registry, I think this is not as aggressive like the others. :cool:

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Oops. Didn't catch the average user part. I guess the average user shouldn't use any registry cleaner.

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I had a very bad,bad experience with RegSeeker; in the early days(one year ago),due to limited $$$ resource and freeware of this app, i used it. Guess what had happened? my PC went into coma, no movement at all. I have to reformat(i did not have FD-ISR or TI at that time) ;very painful indeed. I would suggest you NOT to use it. If you feel like to try it, besure having a good backup vehicle handy. Good luck. BTW, Why not try heavy weight registry cleaner such as registry mechanic (just cost you little hard earned $$$, very reliable indeed). I firmly believe that very PC user should have a good reg cleaner even an average user. If your PC is not undergone routine cleanup, after a while the massive cluster may make your baby(PC) suffer an irreversible STOKE.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, All. I have it on my computer, and used it once, but then became cautious about doing anything with the registry. I do not think I will use it again.

I guess that I tend to think that my first computer, 1999 - 2004, never had any registry cleaner or such. I am not sure why it got along so well, but it did. I think I will realize my limitations and stay away from the registry.

Thanks, again.
    Jerry

8. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

I have used it. Thinking back now it found something like 300-400 entries. I deleted them all without any problem.

The thing is though, I never noticed any improvement at all in the running of the computer. So I thought why bother risking screwing things up for no benefit.

9. mikisu

mikisu Registered Member

Have used it for years,without any problems at all.

Seems to be one of the better cleaners.

The current version has two categories of delete risk,red and green,plus the backup.

Of course,some argue that the registry has hundreds of thousands of entries current and obsolete,which are in any case by passed if not in use, thereby the speed cant be affected in any case.

So the whole exercise could be of limited use,except for the removal of malicious entries, as SpikeyB has mentioned.

Like filling a small sand bucket at the beach.

As for me ,it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling thinking my registry is nice and clean,some sort of good housekeeping instinct.Must see my shrink:D.

PS another excellent cleaner recommended by StevieO is also very nice

http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm. Ignore the Site Advisor banner-its clean!

Mike

10. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Have not had any issues with Regseeker on W2K or XP boxes. Haven't hosed one yet. ;)

11. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have RegSeeker but only use the tweak function to remove the short cut arrows on desktop icons.It makes it look a bit neater. see screen shot

Attached Files:

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It would be interesting to run a test that showed the improvement in the running of a computer before and after using such a program.
    My own thinking is close to yours, especially since I do not know how to do much on a computer. I especially do not know how to do anything with the registry, and if I had to fix it I would be lost.

Jerry

13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Somebody mentioned a payware - registry mechanic. Imo & ime stay from that. Again imo & ime it's a pos program. RegSeeker is superior in every way.

14. mikisu

mikisu Registered Member

Have to agree-have just finished testing the latest version.

It seems very aggressive and you dont know what is being deleted-you just have to trust them.

Dont like blaming unfairly,but have had problems since,maybe due to another reason.

Mike

15. Leonard Chowns

Leonard Chowns Registered Member

Yes I use Regseeker? But you must be very very careful? It and I caused a Crash and Had to Restore. Always leave Backup deletions ON. Lenny

16. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If you use RegSeeker for periodical cleaning of registry, than RegSeeker is a dangerous registry cleaner for less-knowledgeable users.

I ditched RegSeeker, because its solution for ignoring registries is too amateuristic.

17. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks to All.
    Obviously it is not for me.

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.