RegRun -- what the heck is it?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Oct 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I read a lot of good things about regrun so I paid their site a visit. I'm confused. It seems to me like this program is a rather undefinable mixture -- sort of like a combination lawn-mower + can-opener + bicycle pump.

This impression seemed to be validated when I search on *regrun* in this forum. Postings on that topic were spread all over the place.

No offense -- I'm talking on the lightside, not criticizing. I mean... if root & paul & fanJ et alia like regrun, it's gotta be good. It was because of their comments that I got interested in the 1st place.

So here are my 2 allocated newbie questions......

#1 Is regrun an AV or an AT or what?

#2 Since I am just an average fellow [not on anybody's hit list that I know of] why wouldn't the standard version suffice?

Regards.........bellgamin

2. root

root Registered Member

Did you see the writeup here?
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/regrungold.html
    I don't know that its important to call it an AT or AV or whatever. It is a registry utility tool that can add immensly to the security of you computer.
    I really like the control it gives you over what gets loaded at bootup and the file protection you get with watchdog.
    I think for most people, it is not necessary to get the Gold version, but that depends on whether you want one or two of the features only offered in the Gold version.
    For me, it is simply one of the programs I will not do without. Once you get used to using it and enjoying the file protection it gives you, you no more want to be without it, that you would want to be without your AV.
    I only use about half of the features on a regular basis, but I know some that really enjoy some of the features I don't use.
    I do believe there is something in the program for everyone that has security concerns. I think the best thing to do is try it and see how it feels.

3. bellgamin

Thanks, root. I re-read the Wilder's review, & archived the link.
    I just can't afford to have any more security programs competing for the system resources on my tiny, outdated box.

Ergo, I am at the stage where regrun has GOT to take something else's place.

Namely, in the following group, SOMEBODY has to bite the dust: Which do you think should go -- my AT or my AV or Pest Patrol or Outpost or NIS FileCheck or Regrun standard?

BTGLW........bellgamin

4. root

root Registered Member

Hi. I would think that RegRun would take the place of File check and then some. I have never used File Check, so I don't know, though.
    Doesn't seem like Watchdog takes a lot of resources, but I know to some, a little is a lot.
    You can use RegRun without running watchdog resident. You do not get the same file swapping or changing detection, but the program would still be worth having.
    There is a trial version, so you can look at it.

5. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

If you're running a good Antivirus and a good Antitrojan, and providing you run Ad-Aware and/or Spybot on a regular basis, Pest Patrol and NIS FileCheck can certainly be disposed of, if you're contemplating installing RegRun gold.

6. Hi,

This is FanJ.

I see not any reason nor need to get rid of NIS File Check !!!
    Sorry, I don't see the point......
    Why?
    You run NIS File Check on demand (so in case you might not have enough "resources" close for example, for the time during the running of NIS File Check, RegRun.).

Cheers, Jan.

Note by FanJ:
    Hi, just to make sure: this was indeed a posting by me.

7. root

root Registered Member

That makes sense to me Jan. Like I said, I have never used File Check, so I don't know anything about it. :)

8. bellgamin

Forgive me. FanJ is of course totally correct that NIS FileCheck is on demand, ergo systems resources is not an issue. I included it in my questions as to "what should I drop?" only because I was wondering if regrun provides equivalent protection to NIS FC. Does it?

Tony -- I just don't have the gold for the gold [or even for the pro] -- I'm a "standard" fella from head to toe, software-wise & most everything else-wise. Erp. :rolleyes:

9. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Bellgamin,

No problem (Of course!), and sorry on my part that I didn't make a bit more explanation (I was off home).

RegRun and NFC (NISFileCheck) give you different kind of protection.
    NFC runs indeed only on demand.
    NFC checkes only whether there were changes (change, new, delete) in files since the last time you ran NFC.

RegRun runs all the time (unless -of course- you close it down). It checks at certain intervals: default (if I remember me well) every 10 minutes, but you could also set it for example to do its checking every 10 seconds.
    RegRun's primary task (if I may say so, but it is able to do a lot of things) is to check the registry.

So there you have the main difference between the two:
    NFC for checking files;
    RegRun for checking the registry.

But I have to add that you can also set RegRun to check for changes in files!
    However you have to add every file yourself to RegRun to let it be checked for, while in NFC you tell it simply to add for example all the .exe files at your C drive to be checked for.
    And NFC encrypts its database with Blowfish while at the moment RegRun doesn't do that (it could certainly well be that Dmitry will add that feature somewhere in the future!).

So, if you can afford to have both, they give you both their own important way of protection.
    (I have both, and I love them both!).

I hope this helps a little bit more than my original posting ;)

Cheers, Jan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.