Registry Question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by QAR, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QAR

QAR Guest

I'm using Windows ME as an OS. When running "scanregw /restore", the backup file I created about 2 mos ago does not appear in the list of files for backup. How can I get to the file I created? The file is located on my hard drive.

Thanks for your help.

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi QAR,

Look for this folder: c:\windows\sysbckup and see if you can find a file called rb***.cab (where *** will be numbers) that matches the time of creation for the backup you made.

Regards,

Pieter

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

When you created this reg back-up....did you accomplish it via regedit and give it a name with a .reg extension or did you use the below procedure ?

1. Click Start, click Run, type scanregw, and then click OK.
    2. When you receive a prompt to back up the registry, click Yes.
    3. When you receive the "Backup complete" message, click OK.

If you used the scanregw procedure and IF you normally boot everyday or have re-booted more than a 1/2 dozen times in 2 months....you possibly will not have that back-up.

Just as an FYI in case:

How to Back Up the Registry in Windows 98 and Windows Millennium Edition

"Windows makes and stores a backup of the registry when you start your computer successfully each day. By default, five previous copies or the registry are stored.

NOTE: When you back up the registry, the Rb0x.cab file is created in the Windows\Sysbckup folder (where x is a number from 0 to 5). Each time you back up the registry, the oldest Rb0x.cab file is overwritten. Windows Registry Checker backs up the System.dat, User.dat, System.ini, and Win.ini files, as well as registry configuration information (including user account information, protocol bindings, software program settings, and user preferences)."

4. QAR

QAR Guest

I used the run:regedit "export registry" method to create the backup file. What I would like (or trying to do) is use this file to create the restore file. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for all the help so far. I do appreciate it!

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You take the exported reg file that you saved and now import that reg file back in to the registry....BUT....I would first like to ask why your wanting to go back to a month old registry....were you infected with malware or something ?

6. QAR

QAR Guest

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

I've tried importing the export file back into the registry. It will only correct entries that have been modified or have been deleted.

However, it's not able to delete entries made by other software installations or restore the registry to match the export file.

It all started after downloading Apple QuickTime and now trying to get rid of it. QuickTime will screw more with the system registry files and all things pertaining to non-Apple media software than you'll ever dream of. If that program is not a candidate for virus of the year, I don't know what is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.