Registry Mechanic Annual Renewal

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by twl845, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for a registry cleaner post, forgive me if it isn't. I want to pass along some info about PC Registry Mechanic's renewal practice. Last year I purchased the product and used it until a few months ago when I decided I didn't like it and uninstalled it. Tonight I received 3 e-mails from the company in effect informing me that my subscription had been renewed for another year and my visa account had been charged with the $29.95. Where in the small print did it say that they could automatically renew my subscription? I'm pretty good about reading the small print and I didn't see it. Well, I navigated around the links starting from the link in one of the e-mails, and found a sign in page. Lucky I save everything, so I logged in and in affect hopefully canceled the transaction and told them to make sure I do not receive any future renewals. I won't know how I made out until I can access my Visa account tomorrow. I just wanted to make anyone with a PC product to be aware.

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I ran in to the same problem, and not just with PCTools. Cancelling the card was easier (in the long run) than cancelling the transactions. Good luck!!!

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Thanks for the warning, I didn't know this about Registry Mechanic. I put it on my blacklist. A company with such practices doesn't deserve my attention.

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I don't know if I will see my account credited, but I will look at this as a lesson. From now on I will save every invoice even after I uninstall a software, and upon uninstalling I will contact the company and cancel my account if there is one. Now I'm worried about Spysweeper. I uninstalled it a while ago but my copy is good until November. Will they automatically re-register me for another year? :eek:

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: It is not a fine print at all. If you click to its web site, then products > purchase>renew, there is one line stipulates as such: enable to renew one more year unless cancelled and save. You MUST uncheck it (it will renew by default). That is the trade off being able to purchase it online(sort of convenience). If you have bought it in BOX, ther will be no such headache. I am very surprised that PCTools is still using this tactic which has been banned in some countries. Watch out to see what they are going to pull under your feet if you are using their free AV and FW. :mad:

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Quite expensive too, $30 a year for a registry cleaner ? That's the average price of many softwares. You can buy another software for that amount each year.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

mcaffee has the same policy for there antivirus
    i hate it when companies do that
    lodore

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Try Ace Utilities.
    I paid for it once.No renewal necessary.:thumb:

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Perman, I purchased Registry Mechanic on a promo sent to me from PCWorld magazine. Slick.:shifty:

10. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: your credit company will act on it upon your request. Thank you for the info. PcTools likes to con people's $$ in this unfashionable way, no wonder I have seen plenty of cracked copies of Registry Mechanic ( my friend owns one, feeling very high, he says.) :eek:

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That,s radiculous. Its, simple cheating, nothing else. I really wish a bad end for such companies along with all their bad practices.
    Such a practice must be banned by law.

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Perman, I called my Visa bank this morning hoping to get the charge blocked before it was posted. I was told I have to contact the company (which I did) and if they refuse to credit my account, then I can file a protest. But the charge has to be posted first. As I said, I cancelled my account last night, and I verified that they in fact canceled the account. The question I still have is, did they cancel it after the charge, meaning I'm stuck this time but there won't be a next time, or did they cancel the transaction too. I also sent them a letter via their e-mail and have had no response yet.

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I use Regsupreme Pro. Excellent registry cleaner and the only e-mails I've gotten are to inform me of free upgrades.

Pete

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Pete, So do I. That's why I uninstalled Registery Mechanic.:)

15. DCM

DCM Registered Member

I just uninstalled it too. Any company that does business in this manner must not be able to make it with quality and good service.

16. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Just straight up Registry Mechanic is a terrible piece of software.

That's right Registry Mechanic is a terrible POS.

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I just received an e-mail acknowledgement from PCTools canceling my account and notifying my the $29.95 will be credited to my account on my next Visa bill. I guess it pays to jump on it as soon as you get the bill. That scheme just cost them more than $29.95.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.