Registry Mechanic 5 vs. Ccleaner

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Dec 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have Ccleaner already and it seems to do its job well enough. But recently I came across a free version of Registry Mechanic 5 from PC Tools. Is RM5 a quality product, or at least, better than Ccleaner? I am wondering if I should go ahead and get the free version of RM5.

2. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: CCleaner comprises of internet tracks cleaner and registry cleaner, and performs above average; ie, a good freeware. Whereas Registry Mechanic is primarily a registry cleanner. I used v.5, now v.6, a remarkable registry washer, stable and reliable. Therefore it is very tough to compare these two apps. Since CCleaner is freeware, while Registry Mechanic is a paidware, if you are ok w/ your money pocket, my humble suggestion is to purchase RM for registry cleaning and CCleaner for internet tracks washing only( its registry cleaning cability is not that reliable yet). Season's Greetings.

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

This is RM 5, which I suppose is last year's version. But it is offered for free. I guess I could still use Ccleaner to clean what RM 5 does not? I have been doing some searching around the net and the good reviews/bad reviews fall about 50/50. But the bad reviews compare RM5 to JVC PowerTools and other top notch programs that were offered at the same price of $29.99. Maybe for freeware it's not that bad?

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/downloads/2164197/registry-mechanic50

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Using any registry cleaner is a very trick task. You have to test it for a bit longer time to see whether its deletion(errors) would damage your pc system. I use winxp sp2, and used v.5 until v.6 upgrage recently. I have never encountered any sort of problem, IMO, it is effective and safe. Since it is free, I would use it by all means. As to J-c power tools, my experience w/it is that it is a bit aggressive than RM, and could find much more errors, some are boarderline items, caution is warranted here. CCleaner is freeware as well ,I would use its internet cleaner only, again exercise some caution re its registry function. Good Luck.

5. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Registry Mechanic is a reliable, stable app that has stood the test of time.
    Will it clean everything?? No, no single reg cleaner will clean every issue on any one PC. Is it better than CCleaner reg cleaning applet? I think so.
    I paid retail for RegMech Ver.5 (now Ver.6) $29.95USD If I coulda got it for free, I would have grabbed it.

I use RegMech along w/ JV-16 2006 and TuneUp 2006. These three apps used judiciously keep my registry clean.

hth,

...screamer

6. Basic

Basic Registered Member

Hello acr1965,:)

I have been using registry mechanic 5.0 from the site you posted along with ccleaner slim for about a month now with no adverse effects. To my eyes they make a good combination. Ccleaner for cleaning internet and temp files and registry mechanic for cleaning the registry.

Now keep in mind that registry mechanic is a lot more aggressive registry cleaner than ccleaner. On first run through it found right around 618 invalid entries and ccleaner was only showing 67 invalid entries. However when just before cleaning regisrty mechanic does a backup so if anything goes wrong you can restore the backup. So far I have not had to do any restoring from the backups so thats good and my computer has been rebooting into the operating system after cleanings which is even better.

Had that happen once used a registry cleaner, I forget which one, cleaned the registry and rebooted and nothing but a dos error message stating something to the affect of it could not find the OS. Had reinstall the OS to fix it. That is when I was using win98se. It was a learning experience. Now I have backup images and a neat piece of software called rollback rx so I can recover my system a lot quicker if I mess it up.

Anyway back to the subject registry mechanic and ccleaner slim have been good for my peticular system and setup, at least to my knowledge. Can't say how it will be for your system and setup though. You will have to try and see.

My current OS is Windows XP Home with SP2.

Merry Christmas!

J. W.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.