Registry error

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by new_girl, Dec 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new_girl

new_girl Registered Member

New here so not sure where to post this question.

I was looking in My Documents, saw a file (it had a registry icon on the front of it), didnt know what it was, tried to open it and all of a sudden I realized I had actually added it to the registry. I think - I dont know for sure - it is from a CC Cleaner scan for registry issues as I had named it oct2scan. I looked up how to access the registry and tried to delete it but it says not all values can be deleted. Have I created a real problem for myself and how will I know if I messed something up?

I am on Windows Vista Home - and yes, I am blonde:oops: .

Thank you.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The only way to know for sure what that registry file will effect is to look inside it to see what it contains.

You can safely view that file if you simply rename it from oct2scan.reg to oct2scan.txt, and then click on it again to open it in Notepad. Or, open Notepad first and browse your way to the oct2scan.reg file directly. Either way, you need to open the registry file in Notepad to see what is inside.

3. new_girl

new_girl Registered Member

Thanks so much for replying - and so quickly. Ok I renamed it, opened with notepad (didnt know I could do that so thanks for teaching me that too), it appears to have something to do with itunes - which I have been trying to delete forever from my computer because Kaspersky keeps reporting problems when it scans. I did run CCleaner and it cleared a whole bunch of registry items.

So should I be concerned or need to take further steps?

Thanks again - appreciate your fast help.

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

From your description, it was likely startup and/or services entries for itunes, which would be things you'd have previously cleaned out in your attempts to remove itunes from your system. So, I'd say you are probably okay. However, you could post the contents of that file here in a post and someone could confirm this for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.