Registry Cleaners - Who's Your Top Pick?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DasFox, Dec 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Ok I know somewhere down the road we had somewhat a discussion on reg cleaners.

1. I like to use them and I've never had any problems, but then I'm experienced.

2. I don't use them for speeding up the system, that's total crap!

3. I simply use them to clean out dead, left over clutter, because I believe in keeping the registry as free of clutter as possible, also great for cleaning out malware, virus entries too.

Personally JV16 Power Tools is what I've stuck to, but I'm starting to see the quality of the application over the past few years degrade, at least from a GUI perspective, it's buggy at times, so it makes me wonder about the under workings of the registry cleaning if it's still doing as good a job as when it began.

So I'm checking out some of the old names I've used in the past, along with some new ones. Granted some of these new ones I know of, I would never touch, but here's a list of a few names I've gathered.

Advanced Registry Fix
    Advanced System Care PRO
    Advanced System Optimizer 3 ( This thing looks awesome for many other apps included!)
    CCleaner
    JV16 Power Tools 2009
    PC-Kitchen
    RegClean
    Registry Clean Expert
    Registry Cure
    Registry Easy
    Registry Genius
    Registry Mechanic
    Registry First Aid
    Registrar Registry Manager
    RegSWEEP
    TweakNow

So the BIG question is, anyone seeing anything at the level of quality like JV16?

Also let's not get into a registry cleaning flame, we've been there done that, everyone has their pros and cons on the subject and I'm not a newbie, I'm an IT Tech, so please keep the personal flames and thoughts to yourself, I'm simply looking for something that might be as good as JV16. And yes I've used many of the ones listed above, I just want to hear some feedback on them is all.

THANKS

2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

My best Registry cleaner is a System Image Restore. Problem solved and no after effects.

3. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

yes an image restore is perfect..but it has to be done like every week[in a dvd-rw,.just to save in extra discs] ,to keep the sytem updated and clean...
    about registry cleaners,i think ccleaner is the safest.
    heard good comments about glary utilities.

4. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Please STICK to the TOPIC next time.

THANKS

5. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

In all honesty I don't understand why people want to clean the registry so bad. Unless you are having a error there is really no point. It's not like its going to speed up your computer.

6. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

The topic is Registry Cleaners. By default a Re-image does that. So this is on topic.

7. Sully

Sully Registered Member

IMHO the only advantage any registry cleaner will give you is to either look for known values that might cause performance loss or something -- or finding broken links (orphans) that are no longer needed. I don't see what else a canned piece of software can do for a machine that is as unique as a GUID.

So I don't have a top pick perse, but I have tried many of them, and not seen much in way of performance increase.

Sul.

8. acuariano

i think is needed specially when you uninstall programs like nero,eset,
    that leaves traces all around the sysstem..
    norton,etc..

9. acuariano

forgot that programs like antispyware can find infections in the registry,,and they have to remove those keys...and to make sure the leftovers..

10. Mister_Al

Mister_Al Registered Member

I use a program called WinTools.net. So far I haven't had any problems because of it.

Alan

11. sflorack

sflorack Registered Member

In my experience, CCleaner is the best. Although it's not as thorough as TuneUp, Registry First Aid or ASO, I've NEVER had a problem with the changes it's made.

12. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

TuneUp Utilities & CCleaner

13. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

It scans deeper than CCleaner without any apparent ill effect. However, Avira does flag something in Glary Utilities as a virus.

14. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

TuneUp seemed pretty bloated the last time I tried it.

I've never heard of Glary Utilities or WinTools.net.

CCleaner is a very light registry cleaner, definitely not thorough at all.

15. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I use to collect these things so here goes! The following never hurt my XP desktop or Vista laptop! No particular order but with some details!
    MS Cleanup Center
    Registry Mechanic: license from IT guys about five years old, never updated, still works great!
    Eusing Free Registry Cleaner: Seems to find about the same as RM above!
    RegCleaner: Mostly just use it to remove items pertaining to an uninstall as it lists program names and prior to RegSeeker search!
    RegSeeker: An absolute must but only use it to search and remove, never run it to just clean on its own!
    CM DiskCleaner: Always safe, even though it will find hundreds and hundreds of obsolete keys. Probably still out there on "Last Known Version" type sites.
    About six or seven years ago there was one called RegCleaner XP I believe, which was pretty benign, and then the developer (someone from Grove City, PA) developed a new version, with a different name that I don't recall, that found thousands of entries and it was dangerous. He kind of went under ground after that! lol

16. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I like RegCure. Its never caused a system instability. Its also impossible to not have a backup. The backup feature is enabled by default and you cant turn it off.

17. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

My top pick would be System Tuneup.
    Never had any trouble using it.

18. acuariano

well..it's page says it cleans some nasties,,,maybe that's why.

19. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

My favourite one is Reg Organizer (V5 now supports Win 7 & x64) along with CCleaner.

20. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

Avira does not flag the latest upgrade/update of GU Portable.

21. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I have used the Reg Cleaner module of Ace Utilities for several years. Never any problem.

22. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

jv16powertools imo

23. Sully

Sully Registered Member

If I may ask, for you who have used Brand X without issues, has it actually done anything other than generic things like cleanup installs, delete orphan entries or in general check for routine items that most of these types of programs do?

I mean, what exactly are you getting here or looking for? Only cleaning out some values/keys that you no longer are using? And if I may ask, do you find there is any benefit other than they are not there anymore?

I am curious if anyone actually sees any real difference with the registry 'clean' versus just leaving it be.

Sul.

24. tipo

tipo Registered Member

registry cleaners are not helping.they just damage your system.sooner or later you will have to reinstall your OS. trust me! tried them all probably and after that my conclusion is that they only damage the system. use only a file cleaner like r-wipe & clean.it`s the best.

25. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

Fact - registry entries have no impact on performance, or in fact anything else. Thus there is no benefit to cleaners, and they can only cause harm. The more aggressive they are, the more harm they can (and will) do. Amd the best thing is you'll find out your pc is screwed up weeks after using a cleaner.

Just say no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.