Registry Backup Program Recommendations

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rilla927, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a solid program that can backup the registry daily on a schedule and be able to restore individual registry keys as well as multiples and of course full backups.

I started looking on the net, but I don't know who is reputable and who isn't. I'm all ears! All advice will be appreciated.

This is for XP Pro w/SP2.

Thanks,

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I'd be interested seeing what else is available besides ERUNT. When I test drove ERUNT I was left with the impression that it only really worked for the CURRENT USER. I know it says it can work for all users but has anyone actually verified that it really does? Including Limited ones?

Because of my concerns, at this point I rely on Image for DOS and once in a while, System Restore.

4. Longboard

Yes.

But I dontnthink it can do this:
    or at least I cant see how other than create .reg file with saved keys

5. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I use Erunt everyday on startup without problems, plus a batch file which exports some individual important registry entries. Thats clean and easy. Example:
    Important: Each export command has to be in _ONE_ line!

P.S. All this beside a weekly Image of C: I think this should cover all events.

6. Longboard

cool
    didnt know it could do that.

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't need a registry backup software.
    Daily full image backups, daily archived snapshots and even copy/update of snapshots take care of that. :)

8. Longboard

OK OK LOL
    I have no real need for Erunt any more either but responding to OP.

9. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

@Rilla:

ERUNT is a damn simple and reliable program, in my book. I run it from a batch file that automatically rotates to the next among 10 different folders for its backup storage each time I run it and wraps around after folder #10. That way I always have the last 10 registry backups made. That's perhaps overkill because a registry backup can get old, such that you may cause problems by restoring it, fairly quickly.

I use it often when I get ready to install/update a program, before any registry edits, or any other time I'll be doing something with enough risk. That's usually accompanied by an extra 30-60 seconds to update the FD-ISR archive of my primary snapshot I keep on an external drive.

10. hsj

hsj Registered Member

There are quite a few programs out there that can do full backup/restore. One of the better one I've used in the past is Resplendence Registrar Registry Manager. It has the ability to backup/restore the entire registry and it lets you edit those "offline" backups by loading them into the program.

http://www.resplendence.com/registrar_features_backup

For individual reg key restore:
    You can do a full backup and load the reg file using the program and edit out what you need then save those entries into an individual reg file. This way you can restore individual keys as you wish.

An alternative is to use Elcomsoft's Advanced Registry Tracer.

http://www.elcomsoft.com/art.html

This software basically takes a snapshot of the registry anytime you wish and it's saved into a local database. I am not sure what's the max number of snapshots you can have but it should be a good 10-20 which is probably more than enough. Anyway, you can browse each snapshot and export the keys that you need to a reg file. This way you can do a partial restore as you wish. Also, the main function of this program is for comparing 2 registry snapshots (in its entirety or at a subkey-level) and shows the differences (deleted, added, differences in data) in tree-view, you can then create the undo/redo reg files. Creating the undo/redo files is as simple as clicking on the toolbar buttons and the program will automatically generate the reg files. Or better yet, you can undo/redo the differences directly into the registry without creating the reg files first.

I hope this help.

11. Rilla927

Thank you all for your replys.

I think hsj hit it on the head. I'm going to have a look at those two.

Thanks so much everyone.

12. Rilla927

Hi hsj,

Fisrt off, this looks like a great program.

I have a question about Registrar Registry Manager:

Did any of your security programs interfere with being able to make changes in the registry when being enabled?

Thanks again,

13. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi All,

I used to use ERUNT all the time for backing up; however the each time I do a restore EDRNT windows complains of non genuine copy of same. When I emailed Lar's about this behavior, he commented it was most likely due to WGA no fix, so no use! I will say NTREGOPT works well.

Take Care
    rico

14. crofttk

Ugh! I haven't happened to do a restore since they began this WGA crap !:cautious:

15. crofttk

Not mine as far as I can tell. I've used a registered copy of Registrar since 2003 or so and the only thing that seems to haunt me with that program since day one is that it'll hang when I perform a search in the search window sometimes and all I can do is kill it to get out and start again. Then I can re-attempt the same search and it'll complete fine -- and this has happened on both of the two different desktops that I've used in the past 3 years.

It work's GREAT for search and replace type operations -- which not many besides me are crazy enough to try, I guess.

16. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi All,

What I think would be nice: Be able to compress, save to any drive, & add a brief reason for making, system restore points. Also schedule making of restore points & the ability to cherry pick, (from the reason made) which restore point to use. Windows system resore points have more critical data, than jus the registry. This would be much better than ERUNT or others.

Take Care
    Rico

17. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

A program called "System Restore Point Creator" can be used to schedule restore checkpoints via the Task Scheduler.

I use ERUNT all the time and when restoring, I have no "WGA" issues. This problem must be unique with your particular hardware.

My experience using ERUNT is that it always works whereas the System Restore (XP) sometimes chooses not to work and you're left holding the bag--which is why I use full image backups via Acronis TrueImage Home..

ERUNT works very well, but I cannot successfully use NTREGOPT. Anytime I have tried using it, I have had to undo any changes by restoring ERUNT backups.

My writeup about ERUNT:
    http://206.128.27.142/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/9/t/000145.html

18. hsj

hsj Registered Member

Sorry I can't answer that since I don't really use any security programs. I am sure others will be able to better answer your question.

19. tlu

tlu Guest

HAN, have a look at this posting.

20. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Thanks Thomas! That's what I was trying to remember! I don't use FUS, so it would not work for me. Because of the requirement for using FUS and having all accounts open at once, many ERUNT users may not realize it doesn't work for them either. ;)

21. Rilla927

Hi All,

I did purchase the Regirtrar Registry Manager from Resplendence and I love it. Very slick program!

It's blazing fast and the search works fine.

Thanks hsj for the recommendation!

22. hsj

hsj Registered Member

You are very welcome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.