Registery prot & process guard free

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Jason Voorhees, Dec 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi there,

First, I wanna say thanks for offering such a great product.

But I need to know,

Is it wise to protect "regprot.exe" with Process Guard Free ?

I thought it was (is), because when a virus or trojan gets on my pc, it needs to write in the registery, so it can be blocked with the freeware registery protector from Diamonds before it could do any harm. But if it could kill it (regprot) i won't see the nasty messing up my register.

I also use Etrust 7 and ZA Pro4 and Pest-patrol resident.

Jason

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hello Jason & season's geetings to you.

It should be OK - Once listed ensure that regprot is still working, if it is then no problems, if it does not (unlilkely) then remove it. :)

HTH Pilli

3. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

if you are using the free version, where you can only add one process, i would add your firewall. as for regprot, seeing that it is used in the process kill demo, you would think that normally, it should be added to the list of protected processes. (the kill demo will indicate that regprot was not killed by the demo when it is run, while regprot is actually killed by the demo when repgrot is not protected by PG). actually, since a trojan would probably fool your firewall, i would also use "system safety monitor". http://maxcomputing.narod.ru/ssme.html?lang=en#get (the site loads very slowly)

4. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

ASViewer - http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=asviewer

Shows around 80 autostarts on the average PC at a guess. RegistryProt is nice for old trojans, but if hunting a trojan you need to know about more exotic startups. If you or someone else can analyse the startup list then most trojans are in trouble. If your PC is protected by Process Guard as well, all remote access trojans and many other nasties can be found simply by looking at autostarts and removing what shouldnt be there.

In an older designed program like Regprot it was monitoring only what it needed to. ASGuard isn't available yet due to high workload and the fact it is far more complicated than Regprot. We'll do our best because registry monitoring is one more part to strong security :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.