Registering Kaspersky Question about privacy

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by acr1965, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

When I attempt to register my Kaspersky product I am required to give a full name and email address for some reason. Also upon reading the Privacy Statement it appears that there is no way to register a product without giving personal information and that Kaspersky will forward that personal information to 3rd parties to send me advertising offers. There is a way to opt out of some of the offers...I see that part. But where in the Kaspersky Privacy Statement does it say that my personal information will be kept private from other companies? It appears that by registering the product that I am consenting to my information being sold by Kaspersky with no other option besides deciding not to register.

Does anyone read the Kaspersky Privacy Policy differently than I do?

Of course, it also appears that this requirement is not made known until after the product is purchased.

Today I logged onto my computer only to see this big Kaspersky ad wanting me to take a survey. It is getting annoying, more and more every day with this product.

2. Fly

Fly Registered Member

How is this unusual ?

I presume you can register with fake personal information, certainly if you buy a boxed product or purchase it from a reseller ? If you buy the product directly from Kasperksy with a credit card it's hard to be anonymous !

For as far as I know, all commercial AVs share some information with other companies.

3. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

When you activate a product key from within the product there is no need to provide any additional information, no name, no e-mail address. I guess you have registered with "my kaspersky account" during the product installation and left the option for e-mail notifications about updates and special offers checked. This is completely optional and not required for product activation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHxWbHgyxq8

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I never registered for "My Kaspersky Account". There is the place to enter for a product key and a place to enter for an email account. If I did not register the email account the product would not activate. There was no information about an email being optional...without the email address the product would not activate.

5. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

If the AV has any phone-home/cloud features you intend to use or can't avoid, I wouldn't give the company an accurate name, an email address linkable to your real name, phone number, credit card number, etc. I wouldn't even purchase it with a credit card from another merchant, just in case that other merchant shares personal info with the AV company.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.