Register failk

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by IManovice, Nov 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IManovice

IManovice Registered Member

Hello,

I don't know if this is a security issue. But I thought I'd run it by you first.

I had just downloaded Mozilla Firefox and I keep getting a small message box entitled "asdas" and the message is: Register failk

There is an "ok" but when I click on it nothing happens. So I go to the Task Manager and end the task and it ends up closing out Mozilla.

I've tried to ignor it and it will disappear from the screen but everything is frozen so I always have to end the task.

Along with Mozilla, in order to download a console that was needed with another program that was meant to be used with Mozilla, I had to install Macromedia Flashplayer 7. That also has been a pain in the butt because even though I had already installed it, it keeps asking me to install it.

Does anyone know anything about this?

I have Window XP home edition (SP2)

Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

http://www.billwinkle.org/cdg/failk.html

3. IManovice

Hi meneer,

That site is confusing to me. It show on the link that you posted 1.4.1 and I clicked on another link there and saw 1.4.2 and 5.0 for J2SE. Can you help me here on which one to choose? :doubt:

4. IManovice

Please someone, anyone, help me.....please....!

Another thing is whenever I try to work in Mozilla Firefox, my firewall tells me that the following are trying to access:

LexBceService and LEXPPS.EXE

Do they ring a bell to anyone? Do I need to allow them for Mozilla?

Could not allowing them be the reason I get the Register failk?

5. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Sorry that I didn't answer sooner. Get the Java virtual machine from http://www.java.com ("Get it now" button) (it will lead you to 1.4.2, the link seems to point to an old page).

Your other question: do you use a Lexmark printer? Is this printer on a network perhaps?

I would not allow the software to access the network if you use a dedicated printer. You surely don't need them for Mozilla. If anything needs them, it's windows itself.

I don't see a relation between java and lex's software.

6. meneer

meneer Registered Member

7. IManovice

Hi Meneer,

Np. Thanks alot. Problem is gone.
    Now, in my Add and Remove, the SE v1.4.1_02 is 1.56 MB and the SE v1.4.2_05 is 108.00 MB. In programs file it is 71.5 MB. There was extra 3rd party software added that is not included in the same file or in the programs file at all. At least I couldn't find them. But all of that hardly took up any room on my C: drive.

My last question is should I uninstall the SE v1.4.1_02?

I thought maybe the LEX.... had something to do with Lexmark and thanks for that link to the thread about Lexmark. I will keep them blocked. ;)

8. meneer

meneer Registered Member

I would not delete it. Not all programs de-install cleanly and perhaps deleting this will remove some vital _05 parts too.

9. IManovice

Hi again Meneer,

My Mozilla works nice.....BUT......my IE and all of my emails seem to not be working right.

A friend tried to send me an email with a picture attached and what I got was a big long link. That was in Yahoo.

In my Hotmail another friend sent me 2 different emails with text attached and what I got was 2 notepads, one with a tiny little square in the upper left hand corner and the 2nd one had 3 tiny little squares in the same place. Never ever happened before. Would java do this?

Couldn't get into yahoo pinochle on IE but was able to on Mozilla. lol

While I was playing pinochle, the screen flashed a few times.

AND....there are 2 icons for Java sitting in my task bar and 1 on my desktop.

I was afraid to check out how AOL was acting since downloading the update. :doubt:

Thank God. I got the stuff in the mail today to change over to Verizon DSL! :D

I have:
    WindowsXP Home Edition (SP2) All my troubles started when I downloaded SP2
    AVG antivirus, Sygate personal firewall, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, MRU Blaster, Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware SE. I had also downloaded the free trial of Spy Sweeper. Not sure if should purchase it.
    Just now checked my Add and Remove and saw Spyware Eliminator. I did not download that. Maybe part of the AOL package. I'm not sure.

Is there anything I should do that you know of? I know how to do some but this is something I have no idea of what to do.

10. IManovice

OK now something else. I was reading the IE vulnerabilities and came across the IE Spyad, went to the site and noticed that whenever IE 6 was mentioned it didn't include SP2. I have IE 6. Was it a mistake to download SP2? I was constantly prompted to download it. I put it off for a while and finally took the time to do it.

Sorry for this. Just trying to get to the root of these problem. Let me know if this should be a new thread. :doubt:

BTW IE Spyad sounds great.

11. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Hi Judy,

SP2 is okay. Some minor problems, but ths pro's outweigh the con's. You have to DISABLE the Windows firewall when using a third party personal firewall (like Sygate, but do update Sygate, for only the latest version is a little incompatible with SP2...).

You may consider using IE for certain sites. Sites that don't conform to the w3c.org conventions, but that are made for IE, don't render well in other browsers. MSN and other Microsoft sites require IE.

I don't know IE Spyad. Others on this board do, so, if you continue using IE, you may as well start a new topic. I wouldn't :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.