Regdefend + Spybot + Adaware

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by scootnod, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scootnod

scootnod Registered Member

I have all three of these programs watching the registry (Regdefend, Spybot - Tea Timer, and Adaware SE Pro). It gets kind of annoying click okay 3 times for three different programs when there is a change. Will Regdefend cover everything that the others do? Would disabling TeaTimer or Adaware startup protection put me at risk?

2. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

No, disabling TeaTimer and I am guessing the AdWatch feature of Ad Aware, will not put you at risk. Especially if you add the RegRun.GHST and the Tony.GHST files.

The best thing about RegDefend is how configurable it is, if there is something not covered with the default items or by adding the two I mentioned above it is a simple matter of adding it yourself. FWIW - I found AdWatch way to restrictive and could not figure out how to allow something that was disallowed by default. Just my 2¢ worth.

3. ---

While it is true that the registry monitoring capability of Regdefend is superior to the similar function in tea timer and ad-watch, the former does not use signature databases so it cannot recognising malware processes that are attempting to run.

I personally use Sunbelt's Counterspy and/or MSAS because they allow you to turn off each function seperately, so you can have the best of both worlds while avoiding duplication.

It also provides additional protection such as monitoring of hosts files ,watching of files and folders (autostart folders, win.ini, autoexec.bat)

4. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I think you could safely disable those two if you are running RegDefend. I personally have Regdefend, BOClean, NOD32, and Kerio 2.15 running resident on my system. And with that, I feel pretty safe. I dont feel the need to run antispyware apps resident with this setup. I use them as on demand scanners but they do not ever find anything.

RegDefend does much more than than tea timer, and is highly configurable. There is also a new version coming out soon hopefully that looks to be even better. Plus RD will stop things before they get into your registry, not after the fact like some of the antispyware utils do.

Whatver you decide good luck. And give RD a shot.

Jag

5. ---

Good for you. I used to think so too.

But AS can tell you if a installer you are running is malware or not. Something RD cannot.

6. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

To each his own. But let's see the proof that you have that my setup is not enough. I know others who have the same or even less than I have and are completely fine.

I still say resident AS apps have no use in my environment. For you perhaps they do. I used to run them as well but see no need for them any longer.

Since this is the RD forum I am leaving it at that. Plus I don't really care for all of your posts, as they are just trolling to me. :rolleyes:

7. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Jaguar,

I've pretty much settled into the same set up as you. What I've found is that:

1) Anti-spyware packages do not pick up anything that KAV doesn't pick up first.

2) Ewido actually provides better and more reliable anti-spyware coverage than the AS packages that I have used (or trialed). I no longer run Giant AS, and I run Spybot and Ad-aware once in a while. The last time I ran CounterSpy, all it gave me was six false positives. (A user unfamilar with the concept of false positives, could easily hose their machine if they followed the AS's advice and deleted important software components).

3) WormGuard+ProcessGuard + RegDefend (and now Online Armor) provide much better and more reliable/predictable coverage against bad guys - and I don't have to rely on AS vendors like MS to make "decisions" for me that might let bad guys through (e.g. MS AS current handling of Claria).

Netting this all out: I no longer see any reason to run AS packages in real-time on my machine though I do run free ones now and then on-demand: e.g Ad-aware, and Spybot. I also use KAV (plus Ewido as backup) because they appear to provide the most comprehensive anti-malware signature databases that are currently available. Other user experiences as well as comments from DCS seem to support this viewpoint.

Rich

8. ----

Very true. Kinda of impossible to prove anything.

That doesn't stop the people here from giving advise, that you need X, don't need Y.

I'm just following the trend here, so don't beat up on me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.