Regdefend redundant with Spysweeper's autostart protection ?

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by vince35, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince35

vince35 Registered Member

Hi

I have Spysweeper on my PC and wonder if its registry protection (autostart keys) would not be redundant with Regdefend or similar (Diamonds registryprotect) ?

thx ! :) ar

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if SS monitors the autorun entries in the registry then yes it would be redundant.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Unless they've changed it SpySweeper uses polling, which puts a slight load on the cpu, but also allows changes between polling interval. I've been able to manually change IE's home page and change it back before SS caught it. Not so with Regdefend.

4. vince35

thanks for your replys :)

just another one :

Peter2150 you mean :

Polling = Spysweeper scans registry at time intervalls

while

Regdefend watches constantly the registry ?

EDIT : Ok, I found the answer here http://www.ghostsecurity.com/index.php?page=regdefend

So, in this task of watching autostart registry entries, Regdefend should be better than Spysweeper ?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

since regdefend uses a hook as opposed to polling, it also uses ur CPU at lot less.

also since RegDefend already protects many other entries than just the autorun section, u should just disable SS' startup list protection.

6. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Yes.
    RD prevents changes to protected areas of Registry from occuring in the first place; unless you give permission. RD is not looking for changes that have already taken place - which is what a 'poller' is looking for.
    Yes, better protection, but I wouldn't necessarily talk of redundancy because they are doing things differently. Thus if you disable your security while you do an installation RD will not inform you of any Registry changes that happen while it is disabled. However a 'poller' is looking for changes and therefore will find them as soon as you re-enable it again.

Let me give a specific example, when I upgraded Sun Java I switched off RD and CounterSpy to do the installation. When I swithed them on again CounterSpy immediately informed me that I had some new Active X and a new BHO installed. I was then able to check that these were legitimate. RD would not have notified me of this change to my system. So you see that pollers do have their uses; as to whether it is worth tying up resources for this kind of thing is another matter though!

7. vince35

many thanks for your explanations ! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.