RegDefend and WinPatrol

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by Antarctica, Feb 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Hello,

Now that I own RegDefend do I still need WinPatrol or can I flush it?

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

A difficult one this! Winpatrol is giving you a lot of useful information all in one interface. You can keep track of your auto-starts, running processes, services, IE add-ons, Hosts File, cookies, etc, etc. Not only that, you can 'kill' multiple processes simultaneously and delete on a reboot, should the need arise. The new version of WinPatrol will also be looking out for newly installed non-microsoft 'Services'.

Many people regard the cookie control feature (enabling you to remove 'trackers' while you surf) as very useful in its own right. I really don't know whether RegDefend will, by default at least, be covering all the areas looked at by WinPatrol (and it will certainly be covering plenty missed by WP) but clearly it won't be giving you all the other features - you have to decide how useful they are to you.

Having said that, I recently took off WinPatrol because I was running Giant AS and felt there was too much duplication. You may or may not feel the same with RegDefend. When it comes to pure registry monitoring, RegDefend will obviously be giving better protection - WP is a slow poller in any case!

3. I'm not very familiar with WinPatrol, but one thing I see "missing" from RegDefend is an ability to monitor the physical startup locations (i.e. the various Startup groups). This is the only reason I don't register RegDefend; I don't want to run two different utils to monitor startup locations. (Yes, I understand that "RegDefend" defends the registry, but that's entirely beside my point...)

4. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

I have RegDefend along with PG Free and Prevx Home. Will that cover the various Startup groups? o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.