Regdefend 1.300....Problem or not?

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by dja2k, Jul 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I have regdefend 1.300 using Zonealarm Pro 5.5.094.000, Process Guard 3.150, Regrun 4.10 Gold Edition, and KAV 6.0.13.77 Beta. I have been running them for about a week now. Been updating KAV all these week because of the latest beta builts. I have notice a problem since the start and I think it is regdefend. I have all the defualt ghst files, plus the regrun and tony files active. I think it is a problem with .exe files. I can be using the interent or other programs, then all of a sudden the computer doesn't exactly freeze, but I can't run any .exe file (programs) yet things like the start button work, the mouse moves yet it has the glass thing like if it is working on something, the my computer icon works and I can go into folders, the ctrl\alt\delete taskmanager doesn't work, yet after a few minutes, it comes back alive. Nothing in the taskbar crashes, like the KAV, ZA, REGDEFEND, PG, nor REGRUN. Might be one of the regdefend ghst that has something to do with .exe files or interent, don't know but I have gotten it more during surfying the web and it is alway when I go to a new page and it never loads, yet then freezes. Don't know, maybe some regdefend ghst dealing with the interent or something. Anyone had this problem before? Any suggestions on how to check what it is if its not regdefend?

dja2k

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi Dja2k,

When you can pull up task manager what process is using all the cpu. Does anything look off in your RD log files? If you disable all the ghost files, does the problem go away? If it does, can you enable them one by one to isolate the one that's the offender. Then we can check a little more from there.

Steve

3. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Before anyone starts saying about KAV 6 having to do with this besides that it might, I already disabled the web anitvirus scanner and still does it. I already turned of the zonealarm and still does it. Next to test what might be the problem, regdefend. Will do what you say turn off and turn on one by one. I noticed now that it is internet related. Firefox to be exact 1.0.5. It works fine the first couple of times I do it, turn on firefox, home page loads, then I type in something like yahoo.com; however, after the third or fourth time, I want to go to yahoo.com, I see in the buttom, that the page was stopped, no loading of what I typed and the freeze starts. Will post what I see out of regdefend. And no there is no log of it in regdefend, did see thie thing of dwwin.exe once but its like it crashed when it was starting, which is a debugger right?

dja2k

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I doubt very much that the culprit is RegDefend. Though as to what is the cause, you are only going to find out through a process of elimination which you are doing... I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox to start with.

Does this happen with Internet Explorer?

Cheers :D

5. dog

dog Guest

Regarding KAV ... try it with the registry and rootkit protection disabled, it caused an issue/conflict on my machine when it was enabled.

6. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Nevermind, it is not Regdefend, well at least this time. I can't seem to reproduce the problem since I restarted my computer. I did all the turning of of different things right now after restarting and nothing. I did however use shareaza and had a lot of internet activity when I was reproducing the problem before I restarted. I also notice after the restart that regdefend blocks some stuff using Tony's file for the zonealarm. It blocks the vmon.exe from setting values via .bat , .exe , .cmd , .pif. I will get a picture of what its blocking later when I install the software to do it. So now I don't know where to start and maybe this thread was worthless, maybe the regdefend wasn't it. I do see more and more blocks from Tony in diffrent situations. Like that vmon wasn't being blocked until now when I saw. I have also seen Tony's file block explorer.exe numerous times in a row. So far the rest of the ghst files have only blocked auto runs and some other non important stuff.

dja2k

7. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Okay haven't been able to reproduce the problem yet, but I did encounter something new. This has to do with Tony's File. When I want to download something from a link, the download goes a few and then stops and never continues. If I turn zonealarm off, the download works. If I turn off Tony's File off and turn on Zonealarm, the Files downloads. With that, I see Tony's file stops a lot of the vmon and zlclient.exe from running and\or reading\writing to registry. I will just turn off Tony's file for now and see if I can get the same problem that I had before with the freezing to accur again. By the way, Tony's file is just for internet related stuff right? How many diffrent ghst files are all of you using?

dja2k

8. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi dja2k,

When you talk about downloading, you are speaking about using shareaza right? I am using Tony's files with ZoneAlarm and have not encountered any problems downloading using FireFox (for example). I have not given ZoneAlarm any application override permission, but you might try this.

Rich

9. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

No I am not speaking about shareaza or any P2P. I am speaking about normal downloads - like if I go download the latest version of KAV 6, it gets stock, doesn't finish. What do you mean by override permission in Zonealarm?

dja2k

10. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

I do not have any problems with FireFox downloads. I am using ZA Pro 5.5. If you have a different version, you might try the Application Permission Override on the Main Menu. It will allow applications (e.g. ZA) to override the existing rules in the registry group.

Rich

11. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I don't see anywhere that states permission override. Anyways I reproduced the problem. It happenes when I am downloading from shareaza and then use the web. I think KAV 6 has to do with it and nothing to do with regdefend.

dja2k

12. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Look at RD's Main GUI top right hand side Application Permission Overide :) Select "Add Program" and browse to the .exe to be added.

HTH Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.