reg mechanic

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rita, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I have that problem at times too!! :D

2. Dr.Know

Dr.Know Guest

Does anyone know if Crap Cleaner will delete the index.dat files associated with your history, cookies, & cache ?

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

on this other computer it cleaned 3.84 mb and 93 issues--i think i really needed this prog :D

5. Dr.Know

Dr.Know Guest

Hey, thanks Ronjor. This looks like a very useful program. It even appears to clean Firefox/Mozilla cache & history, true you can do this within Firefox, but it's nice to have it all in one place.

6. Dr.Know

Dr.Know Guest

Oops, thanks to AMRX too, he's the one who first mentioned the program- Crap Cleaner.

7. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Ron;

I ran it again on another computer. It did it again, except this time the progress bar froze while it was communicating on the Internet. It looked like it had problems and kept retrying. When the communication stopped, the progress bar continued. :doubt: The total clean time was 89.886 seconds.

Close Hauled

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Close_Hauled

Do you have a log of connections? Unless it it is getting by Kerio, I see nothing.
    My router shows no activity also.

9. Close_Hauled

Ron;

No, I do not. I will have to wait until I get home tonight. My home computer has Port Explorer on it. It also has HTTPLook. Whatever is happening, I can capture the packets there and analyze them.

Close Hauled

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Close_Hauled

Have a look at this link. He states no spyware involved.

It is strange you see activity and I don't.

Computer Cops

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I sent the author a note about this discussion. Maybe he will come over.

13. chew

chew Registered Member

Interesting ... CCleaner that is.

Yes, I need one of this as well ... I just rely on MRU Blaster by Javacool only ... still need to clean out other things myself.

I just dare not touch anything that got something to do with Registry Keys.

hmm ...

Chew:)

14. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hey Chew
    i know you have the right idea but i cleaned the reg. issues--i figured if they were all invalid enteries or files etc.it wouldnt matter but i may be figuring wrong--so far so good- though--i probaly shouldnt mess around with the registry.you have a good evening

Rita

15. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

@ Stro:
    Very very close. Sure each won't get "precisely" whtat the other does, but it's interesting. If I had my choice and never purchased RegSupreme PRO, then Crap Cleaner is perfect.

@Ice:

Re your comment/link about index.dat cleaning. Index.dat cleaning is usually done in the way that it requires a reboot to 'finish' the job. It deletes the index.dat file and Windows recreates a new one upon a reboot back to the default 32Kb size.
    It looks like he's expecting the index.dat to be "cleaned" back to the original file size. He states, do the clean and then go check, did not say after a reboot. This is not the case I am led to believe, as I stated earlier, the index.dat file is **re-created** upon a reboot.
    Although, I have seen somewhere where someone claims you can delete it without a reboot, that may be, but it still requires a reboot for windows to rebuild it. At least that is my understanding from anything I have read and my own personal experiences. :)

Cheers, TAS

Last edited: Aug 5, 2004
  16. Tassie_Devils

btw, with Crap Cleaner, I like the fact it outlines what is's searching for in the Registry cleaning section [see my second screenshot].

Some people claim that a lot of 'dedicated' registry cleaners are really including deleting lots of broken/unused shortcut links, and that may be so, and thus "not really cleaning" the registry.

In RegSupreme when I clean, I know by looking at the items found what they are and some are traces where I have deleted pics from my desktop, but it's still cleaning useless crap out you don't want to begin with.

In Crap Cleaner, after you do the initial 'Run' with it, it will itemise each section what it's found and that's nice to a beginner, as he/she can tell by 99% certainty by looking at each section and saying, 'oh yeah, I remember that, I deleted that, so it's no good', etc.

It's simply a bit more user friendly plus it's still a very powerful proggy to boot. :D

TAS

17. Dr.Know

Dr.Know Guest

18. Close_Hauled

Ron;

I just ran Crap Cleaner with Port Explorer running. Not a peep from Crap Cleaner. But I did get some interesting stats from my home computer. I think I set a Crap Record:

Run Cleaner: 137.003 sec, 731.1MB!

Scan for Issues was not so bad, only three scans were needed.

Close Hauled

19. GiveItBack

GiveItBack Guest

Some very interesting observations.

I tried the following, in this order (without backups, it was perhaps dangerous):

1. CCleaner: all issues selected, ran it 3 times.
    2. RegSupremePro: Deep scan, twice.
    3. jv16 Power tools: Every thing selected and ran twice.

Next: Started with number 1 and did it all again until nothing found by all three (even the red dots on jv16).

Afterwards: I hand checked the registry to see if all was well. Not quite sure exactly what I was look at or for. Needless to say, the damn thing (Registry) shrunk to a very small size (7mb or so)! Amazing. Not sure if this is good or bad.

I'm now wondering if I should turn off the computer and if it will boot back up!

20. Tassie_Devils

Close_Hauled.

I tried another run by CC and still NO alerts by my FW at all.
    Then I tried it again, this time without being connected to net.
    No alerts, no window wanting to connect, nothing.

@ GiveItBack
    GO Onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!! Don't be a chicken..... REBOOT!!!! Give it a gooooooooo!!!!! ROFL...

Code:
    [chicken mode on] bwaaackkkkkkk!!!! [/chicken mode off]
    ....and that Ladies and Gents, is a brave man/lady
    :D TAS

21. Tassie_Devils

Holy Batcrap, Robin... phew!!!! I would love to have seen that one working.

:D TAS

22. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thank you, Tassie. his comments put me off for a while, until i checked, the only thing is i couldnt remember how i checked o_O , but i think it was with a reboot, so thanks again :)

23. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Stro, nothing is perfect. i've noticed that RegSupreme detects errors that CCleaner overlooks and CCleaner detects errors that are overlooked by most cleaners. so you should use both if you have them. well CCleaner is free where RegSupreme is not. another free registry cleaner can be found in www.tweaknow.com but its a crippleware.

dear Dr.Know, thanks for those words.

for backup security try the link i gave above. TweakNow is not free but it has got more than you'll need. it'll also give you the option to backup. one more thing about CCleaner, it is tweakable, go to the folder and you can edit the settings file to add or delete special cleaning routines. another junk cleaner that allows the same is Disk Cleaner http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/

dear ritanann, you changed it again.... lol.

dear Close_Hauled, 731MB is way too much junk. i hope you haven't deleted something useful. i found www.recover4all.com very nice in such cases. keep us posted about CCleaner's suspicious behavior.

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The author of the program asks everyone to submit ideas for improvements.

He is aware of this discussion.

There is an area on his site to submit ideas.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2004
  25. Close_Hauled

The OS on my home system was originally Windows 95 on a previous PC. I upgraded that PC to Windows 98. I moved that OS to this PC with Ghost over three years ago and added a second hard drive. Then I moved all of my apps from the C: drive to the D: drive, leaving just the OS on the C: drive. With eight years of garbage collection, it's no surprise that Crap Cleaner found so much.

As for it's suspicious behavior, I ran it on two PC's and a laptop at work, and they all behaved the same. But they have unique configurations that you would not have at home. I'll set one up in my lab with Port Explorer and take a look.

Close Hauled

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.