REG edit=?helpy plaes

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mr.Blaze, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

Ok how do i do a through clean up of a certin program

for example im trying to do a clean uninstal of lets say nortion

i use reg cleaner and for the most part it cleans perty good

so i go to start go to run type in reg edit click on edit then find

type in nortion click ok and i see 3 things something like
    nortion something blah blah
    clsd 45677-9876 typ thing

do i delet all three entrys or just the one that says nortion

want a clean system

2. Mr.Blaze

HMM MUST BE A HARD ONE TO ANSWER

3. snowy

snowy Guest

Sir Blaser

my sincere compliments for your effort to keep your system clean.......
    If I recall from previous posts by you in the past....you don't enjoy messing in the registry......(please correct me if I am wrong).........well Blaser, as you know the registry is not a place for "guess work"...if you don't know..don't do!!
    That would be my suggestion to anyone..everyone..including myself.
    play it safe......if you use a program like regcleaner just let it do its thing.....it may not get all the left over garbage but its far less likely to hose your system. an don't just run it once....run it an remove the garbage...re-boot and run it again......check twice.......
    there are other programs that you can also use.....digging in the registry randomly without knowing the purpose of whats being removed is just not a good idea for anyone to do..
    respectfuly
    snowy

4. Mr.Blaze

:Dhiiiiiiiiiiii snoweyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy hugggggggggggg good to see you

yup you right i hate reg editing had to do it a few times with za

but im haveing similar probles like this with software

encounter issues on starting DVD PictureShow after installing it and want to reinstall it, but I can't remove it and only get a "Repair" or "Remove" option. How can I do I make this work?   

Normally, this kind of situation occurs because the InstallShield has crashed when you installed DVD PictureShow for the first time. Please follow the procedure below to fix this problem.

Please go to Tools\Folder Option\Advance setting to check "show hidden files and folders".
    Purge your temp file in c:\windows\temp
    Delete the following folders C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead DVD PictureShow
    C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CAAD3C25-8664-11D5-BEAF-0010B5557565}
    Click Start: Run: type "regedit", click Ok
    Delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ulead Systems\Ulead DVD PictureShow\
    Delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Ulead Systems\Ulead DVD PictureShow\
    Close regedit
    Reinstall DVD PictureShow.

something similar to that but with difrent software
    it has 3 entrys when i typ in its name hit find 3 things show up but one thing is highlighted to i wipe all 3 or just the one highlighted lol

5. snowy

snowy Guest

Sir Blaser

in a situation where you are given precise instructions on what to remove.....follow the instructions PRECISELY...do not remove anything else other than what you were instructed to remove....that usually works without problems

Blaser there are actually several ways of fixing a registry most of which I have never seen mentioned very often so wont go there right now.

Also, don't forget the ye ole system restore.....

an don't forget other options......that can prevent some of this problem.....if you want to watch a dvd........fine......want to play a game...great.....play an mp...terrific.........so do it all on a virtual drive..........make an iso....use a tool to make/mount a virtual drive.....after you are finished....vanish...all gone...no registry changes....no digging around...everything just goes bye bye
    LOL..an don't you dare ask me how to make a virtual drive...LOL........tonight I am so tired my eyes are seeing triple

6. snowy

snowy Guest

Blaser

just re-read your post..

1. show hidden files = most of the time when I do a complete virus/trojan scan I will enable this.......there are a few cases..such as when using particual program to clean index.dat....that enabling show hidden files is not suggested...but for your purpose it should be ok

2. c/windows/temp= that can and should be cleaned..cleaned..cleaned...cleaned

3. c/program files/ = if the program has been removed the file in program files can/should be removed also.......there are cases when a remaining folder may contain a file that either can'tbe or should not be delete but usually you will be given a warning to this........then don't remove it....most likely its a part of the removed program that has intergrated with the system an should be left alone

7. Mr.Blaze

ok i got the hang of jv 16 power tools which by the way is very cool only one major bug other then that perty ok

but when i click on reg edit holly molly thers old stuffs

for example i put ulead in and wham all kinds of stuufs including stuff i dont have no more wow my pc keeps tracks of all kinds of stuff

my puter spying on me i know it now

for example me find a folder called this
    {0296D3CF-F611-4d58-B78B-6D4022E6C642}
    in that folder i find link to 5 other folders

folder +{0296D3CF-F611-4d58-B78B-6D4022E6C642}
    link-local server
    link-prog id
    link-programble
    link-typ lib
    link-vision independent program

is this how one cleans the real registry with reg edit

most of the uleads look like this but theres a few that seem to have other stuff nothing to do with ulead but i guess thats why ulead is the only thing highlighted in the folder

when you delet something like that it just says value not set

but it comes from folders like this
    folder +{0296D3CF-F611-4d58-B78B-6D4022E6C642}
    with many other folders link to it but the only ones to do with ulead show up open while the other ones stay close

im going to have to learn this one day might as well pull the bandaid off and scream like a little 9 year old girl that scraped her knee lol

one of these days im have to play with reg edit be nice if i had some ideal what im doing lol

by the way i been playing in there but i feel safe i have go back after i play i revert drive back

lol im such a cheater mawhaaaaaaaa

8. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Blaze,

There's some valuable info on the subject over here ;).

Enjoy reading!

regards.

paul

9. snowy

snowy Guest

Blaser.........hold on there buddy....an take your time!!!
    The registry is no where to play guessing games.....one wrong move an you are OUT!!!!!
    you picked a good tool to use....now just go slowly an let it do its thing. You begin with the intent to remove one program....so stick to that goal....then eventually move on.
    Programs you absolutely know..that are no longer on your computer are usually ok to un-install......but don't play around Blaser......take as much time as is needed to do the job correctly. an don't depend on system restore "go back"

10. snowy

snowy Guest

Blaser

the Mods of this forum are all very very good.......so I am going to get out of the way here.....if you need help they are the ones who can better advise you........ASK!!!

11. root

root Registered Member

The first rule of messing with the registry is back it up first. There are a few programs that do a passable job of being able to recover, but non better than Winrescue.
    http://www.superwin.com/index.htm
    I know money is tight, but that program is some of the best money I ever spent.
    Jv16 will do a pretty good job for you and seems to be safe if you stick with deleting the green entries only.
    There is no surefire guide for manual cleaning the registry. There are just too many variables, so that is why the need to back it up before deleting or changing even one key.
    I do believe people don't often participate in topics like this because if someone tells you , sure go ahead and delete that key, and it breaks your computer, they will feel bad for sure. It's just too risky to try and tell someone how to clean the registry up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.