Refund policy on NOD32?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by enduser999, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Nod32 would have sprung into action had they even attempted to open the files.

Yes, and then it would have picked up the files without a doubt.

Cheers :D

2. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

Antivirus programs, in my opinion, should not be looking for so called "spyware cookies", simply configuring your browser correctly or using one of many cookie/ad blocking methods is enough to keep these cookies off of your system. Cookies are not viruses.

As to the rest of the infected files, I have no opinion, but I do know that all of the test files (including simulated infected wmf files) I have tried were immediately detected, I have also run across the odd web site where IMON immediately informed me malicious files were attempting to download, to which I responded by clicking "terminate" (or similar) and no infection ensued.

My system was clean at the time I installed NOD32 and remains so today. I ran a (Java) HouseCall scan the other day, just to make sure.

3. getsmart

getsmart Guest

Their is a link from Nod32 site to here thats how I foun this site

4. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

Had the user opened the files, they would have been detected on activation - who cares if they sit idle in an archive - however, with the extra settings (Blackspears) - the archives would have been scanned and infections found.... from here it looks like the problem isn't the AV solution, it's knowing (or rather not knowing) how the AV solution works.

5. enduser999

enduser999 Registered Member

Hmm well I looked and looked on the support page on the nod32.com web site and found nothing. This is the website url that the computer talk show host is promoting.

Did you find a link to this forum on another NOD32 reseller's website?

6. enduser999

So are you saying that the excutables need not be run after the archive is opened for NOD32 to find the infection but simply opening the archive up in WinZip etc would cause NOD32 to detect the infection?

7. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Yup. Other thing you have to remember is that the samples in question might be non-functioning. The gang at Eset does a pretty good job making sure that they include detection for baddies that can actually harm your system. Some files that are detected by others might not even damage your system.

However, comparing NOD32 to Ewido is an exercise in... stupidity. NOD32 is an AV... with AT and AM functionality. Ewido is an AT with AM functionality. Your "friend" needs to compare apples to apples in the future.

One thing I do agree with you and completely disagree with Marcos is that NOD32 is NOT optimally set out of the box. End users want the highest level of detection/protection out of the box.

I challenge Eset to do a survey and ask users if they want the highest level of detection/protection or something lower than that out of the box. Guess what the answer is? I've been waiting quite some time for common sense to prevail on this issue... still hasn't.

Secondly, what's the distribution/market share breakdown between end-user versus corporate? Bet end user is the bigger part of the user base... so the argument about not enabling everything because network admins would have a problem is... not customer-centric.

As an end user, I can tell you that I could give two ***** what a network admin has to deal with. I can also tell you that I am not crazy about having to go through each module and put BS' settings in every time I set someone up with NOD32.

Why not distribute a network/corp version with current settings and an end user version with the highest possible settings? Problem solved and in the end, saves Eset a good chunk of change in support costs/overhead and customer retention/refund costs.

Or... just have a box/radio button during the install process that asks if the user wants all super-secure options enabled... which installs BS' settings by default.

By DEFAULT... AMON, EMON, DMON and IMON have a box or two unchecked that could increase detection and treatment of baddies in a system. Come on, even the quaratine box is unchecked by default.

Also, NOD32 aka the OD scanner by DEFAULT is suboptimally set. Scan targets... Archives, Self Extracting, Runtime Packers, Email and Alt NTFS Streams are disabled by DEFAULT. Not to mention Adv Heuristics, Adware/Spyware/Riskware and Potentially Dangerous Apps are disabled by DEFAULT.

Slowly but surely, the concept of marketing and market focus is working its way into Eset which is good. They do have some things down well... support, good product, could be a bit more responsive on signature updates at times. Just need to close the circle on a few very important things and in the end I think they have the potential to be a much bigger player in the AV space.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  8. rgibsons2005

rgibsons2005 Registered Member

Just as a reminder to some of you.. Once you get your money back, the Username and Password is deactivated from the server (for those who want to cheat the system-- buying and returning while not uninstalling the program)

9. enduser999

Are you a representative of ESET? I ask because when I initially started this thread several people posted that one does not get refunds after purchasing NOD32. They indicated that is why there is a trial version. Are you saying that you have first hand knowledge that ESET will indeed refund purchases?

10. masqueofhastur

masqueofhastur Registered Member

This is an issue if you have the file in an archive and send it to someone else doesn't have proper protection. As for a scenario where this could be the case, I often find and download files for my friends and send them over to save them the effort.

With regards to Nod32 not detecting the Viruses, I've had viruses show up according to Windows OneCare Live and Avast! that turned out to be false positives, as both Kaspersky and Nod32, which have the highest detection rates did not catch.

I also think that Blackspear's settings should be default, it's not that hard to go through and configure, but it's nicer with his configuration as it handles everything without my intervention (although unfortunately it also keeps deleting the EventID 4226 patch I want to apply).

11. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Had an issue with 2.0 or 2.5 (can't remember) that I wasn't able to solve after working with support for a week or so. This was after using the app for 6 months or so. They offered to refund my money. I think it's at the discretion of the tech who are generally pretty cool about things.

However, trying to get a refund for software after 30 days or so is a bit much. As mentioned, every AV misses baddies on occasion and some handle detection differently... for example KAV identifying a file in the archive and NOD32 identifying it when you try to unzip. Both catch and both keep your system safe, the way they go about it is just different. One isn't necessarily better than the other since the end result is the same.

Caveat emptor... let the buyer beware.

12. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

First, before you buy an antivirus program you should be aware of the fact that NO ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM IN THE WHOLE WORLD detects all threats. Period!

You will ALWAYS find something on several machines - regardingless which antivirus program is installed there - even if it's KAV it's possible. So NOD32 is not an excuse here.

Please keep in mind: No Antivirus Solution can protect you from yourself!

That said: Even with a full armored av-system (for example 12 different on-demand scanners etc) and real time protection you can get infected! Will you try to refund all 12 scanners (if you bought them...) ?

And switching/jumping from one AV to another just because it "missed" something is also quite useless. Assuming the new Scanner doesn't detect something but your old (previous) scanner would have detected it will you switch back or will you jump again to another AV?

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

If users would at least sumbit the samples...
    This way they'd assure they won't get the very same sample ever again.

14. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

That's an other story...
    In the most cases we do not even have a chance to take a look at the "malicious" malware because the user deleted it with some "other" program or it got "lost". :rolleyes:

Usually i always reply with short removal steps attached in the case we do not detect it and the update will be provided very fast. This is of course completely impossible if nobody submits this special file.

15. rgibsons2005

rgibsons2005 Registered Member

I'm NOT affiliated to Eset/Nod32. I just wanted to bring up the fact that there are some dishonest pple out there who are classified as "serial returners." Look this phrase up in Google if you want a specific definition. For example, buying products using them and returning them on the last day possible to make such refunds. Some Americans buy things from big name merchants and take advantage of the 90 day return policy. Such as business suits for parities/job interviews and digital cameras for vacations. In this case, it's obvious what can be done with returning nod32, if the username and password weren't deleted from the server.

I like Nod 32 so much that I'm going to renew for another two years or so.

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'm sure that user/pass gets invalid if you somehow refund it...

17. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

I'll bet my last pair of white underwear on that :D

18. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Ok here's a guy asking for help with what he says is a virus NOD does not detect and wants to know what to do. However the info provided is a little vague. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=647157#post647157

19. kuba

kuba Registered Member

What were the other programs you used?
    You should post the sample.
    Personally, I think something isn't being said, in relation to how Nod missed it.
    I highly doubt it would have if all the other AV (free trials had caught it).
    *puppy* *puppy* *puppy* *puppy*
    After being online for 10 years now, and using everything from Norton (for Win95/9:cool:) to AVG, to McAffee, to AVG, to Avast, to AntiVir, then finally Nod32.
    After almost 2 weeks of tweaking, running, checking the program out, I have to admit, it's a pretty damn good program.
    As Elwood said also, cookies can be avoided by properly setting up your browser(s) and running proper programs to get rid of them.
    It takes more than an AntiVIRUS program to detect everything you'd like it to.
    I think maybe all the good stuff being said about ESET made you a believer that it could do everything. :D...which you have to think, isn't really that bad.:D

Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  20. kuba

kuba Registered Member

I used to work at Best Buy, digital cameras now have one week return policies.
    They're sorta smartening up.
    But back on topic, I'm on my 30day trial but ESET can put me in the bank for a one year subscription.

21. enduser999

AntiVir,eTrust ezAntiVirus, AVG,AVAST,Tasucan, The Cleaner, TrojanHunter

22. kuba

kuba Registered Member

Wow, paranoid much or what? All those scans?
    What kinda files are you downloading that makes your buddy a lil paranoid? lol
    Anyways, when I got my trial goin', I wanted to learn about NOD as much as I could so I ended up here after googling it.
    Now before seeing Blackspear's sticky thread about setting it up, I checked off a majority of the stuff he mentioned but there was some other stuff I left out.
    Regardless, if you don't like Nod32, don't use it, and use something else.
    Like I said earlier, I've been online 10 years, used everything under the proverbial sun, and Nod has been impressive. (although on startup, it does take a few seconds longer then I'd like). But I'm looking at the bigger picture.
    You also compared malware/trojan fighting programs to Nod, which as you were told earlier is an AV (although they do their best to try and protect from everything).
    Good luck bro, whatever you do.:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

23. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

For me the issue with undetected viruses is that there needs to be a safe way of uploading the file to Eset immediately so that it is very quickly added to their database. The most ideal is to have the file in a GUI which offers you to immediately upload it and be done with it.

The latest exploits are really cruel and has AV vendors as well as Microsoft scambling to find a solution. Exploits such as the latest Windows Media Format (WMF) vulnerability are causing AV companies a lot of headaches and to my knowledge there isn't a fix out for it yet and people are getting hit with it no matter what AV they have and it's not easy to remove even if you can understand the instructions. I got hit and had to do a restore which seems to have worked but I don't seek a refund because this is just so sinister that it is taking a lot of time and resources to try and pin down a proper defense for it.

Whether you use NOD32 or another AV I have come to the conclusion that they are all struggling to keep up with the new malware coming out. For me most AV's are good so I choose the one that I feel my system and myself find more comfortable to use and expect an AV to offer me the best possible protection out of the box as I haven't the time or patience or technical understanding to figure out optimal settings. That is what I expect the AV companies to do for me or provide me with a reg key to click on for super settings or an option in the setup etc

Apart from that I blame no AV for being beaten in today's hostile environment as it's just impossible to always keep ahead of the latest threats before they do damage.

Dave

24. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

I personally have a problem with you saying Some Americans, I'm sure this is done all over the world or are you that ignorant that you don't understand it, perhaps it would have been better for you to say some people, that would have been a little more correct.

In regards to the returning of the av-software, like everybody has been telling you there is no perfect av-program, you can only hope for the best and that whichever program you use catches the majority of what is out there. I have used KAV 5.0 per pro, Mcafee 9, a whole bunch of stuff from Symantec, and I presently am using NOD32, I cant say which is better KAV or NOD32 but those 2 are definitely the best at present, perhaps in the future the will be a better product.

25. enduser999

Again I have to reitterate. How do the vast majority of the buying public who purchase this product know even about the existance of the BlackSpear settings? Unless they use some form of a search enging i.e. Google, Yahoo etch they are none the wise. They hear about the product being marketed by the host of a computer talk show and buy NOD32 and install it WITHOUT doing any modifications whatsoever!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.