Refund policy on NOD32?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by enduser999, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enduser999

enduser999 Registered Member

What is the refund policy for NOD32 if one should purchase it and then find that it is missing infections that another product fines? A friend is using the trial version of NOD32 and it had not found 6 viruses and some spyware which another malware product caught on the first scan. Wondering if the friend used the commerical version would it of found these infections?

As well if the scanning on a weekly basis was not setup per BlackSpear's sticky would it allowed the infected files to be missed.

I have said it before and I will say it again. ESET needs to put a reference to this forum on their web site www.nod32.com. It is a secret that the company appears not to want to mention for some reason on the web site.

As well please please redo the frontend for the application. It requires too much configuration for the newbie computer user and is a reason why I can won't recommend the product to newbies.

2. pykko

pykko Registered Member

enduser999, no AV is perfect! Probably next time NOD32 will catch something other AV miss. ;)

3. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

You can't get a refund just because an AV misses a few samples - ALL AV's miss samples, and I dare you to direct me to one that detects everything.

The trial and commercial has the same detection, so there is no difference.

It's not considered very nice to link to your own purchasing page when there are so many resellers out there. Generally, people will ask where to purchase from and get an answer from other users, or find it themselves. Support issues are usually directed to Eset's page, mainly the FAQ.

Most people find it easy and refreshing to use, considering there is no blinking help icons or whatever other AV vendors usually puts in their GUI. But let's see how it looks in ver3.

4. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

You cannot statisfy all users. That's the first fact. If you make a very simple configuration window (let's say only with a slider "1-2-3" then half of the users crying that there isn't enough to configure!

But we're working already on some improvements there. The point is that such things taking time, because it's not only the matter of designing a gui and placing some buttons/sliders.

As for the refund - i have serious doubts that you can refund all kinds of AV software based on the fact that it missed "something" especially when trivial threats are involved. I mean if there is a big outbreak and your AV doesn't detect the malware not (or provides only after days a update) well then you could have a serious chance to request a refund. Otherwise you could just blame and refund EVERY av program - because EVERY av program might miss something what another product might detect. The question is always HOW IMPORTANT is this missed threat really? If 5000 spyware programs flagging tracing cookies which aren't detected by your AV doesn't mean that this is a real problem.

I'm not in the sales/support department, but i could imagine that they tell you the same. Maybe Marcos or Bandicott can write a few lines here.
    Best thing would be anyway to contact sales via email regarding this "problem" :rolleyes:

5. enduser999

These were not samples. These were infected files that had 5 different viruses amongst them

"your own purchasing page when there are so many resellers out there"

By "your" I hope you are not referring to me personally!

This product is being hyped by a radio personality who has a computer talk show on Saturday and Sunday and which is heard all over the world via Internet. During the commerical he gives out ww.eset.com as the website address. If one goes there and looks for support for the trial version where would one turn to for help?

The only indicated means of help is via a web form which is done through email. Which understandly priority support is provided to registered users.

People who have problems or questions regarding the trial version and see the only means of support is via email may go elsewhere for their anti-virus product.

Are you saying that other resellers do not benefit from this forum being available??

6. enduser999

Well in this case my friend is seriously considering ditching NOD32 and looking elsewhere for an antivirus. :(

7. Brian N

Samples/infected files, all the same really :)

"Your" not directed to you, but resellers generally.

As for support, if you contact Eset it is done my email. But keep in mind that this is also the official NOD32 forum, and you'll get alot of help here from Marcos, Happy Bytes and users.

And really, this is true, no AV will detect all samples/infected files. It can't be done (not yet anyways).

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The most important thing is to send such files to the vendor for analysis. You didn't mention the names of the viruses and what AV recognized them. Weren't they actually installers? Weren't they in an archive? Was the spyware actually spyware? (there are a lot of vendors who claim their product to be adware/spyware-free and the AV vendors must re-consider detection. It happened many times that we had to remove detection because we found newer versions of their software adware/spyware-free. However, a lot of AV vendors still detect these programs so it's not fair to say NOD32 missed it)

It's a matter of fact that no AV is perfect and NOD32's detection ratio is one of the best (see the independent tests at www.av-comparatives.org). I could post here tons of screenshots from Jotti's online scanner and Virustotal where threats are detected by NOD32 and not by other big AV players. So your friend goes for another AV which will let such a threat detected by NOD32 through, will he decide to go back to NOD32 or will he stay with the AV that didn't pick it up?

9. enduser999

I agree but the only way that I found that this forum even existed was that I used Google and came across it. Otherwise I would be using the email support avenue which is probably what is happening to some prospective customers having questions or problems with the trial or maybe even the commerical version of NOD32.

10. Brian N

And likewise, I agree with you too. There really should be a link to the forum, even if it's a reseller or Eset themselves.

11. enduser999

Well I only have the names of the infections that I wrote down before the files were deleted off the friend's computer:

Trojan.LdPinch.abn
    Dropper.Delf.fd
    Downloader.IstBar.lu

others included were spyware cookies

12. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Well, enduser999 if these are Trojan.Downloaders probably NOD32 is cacthing the file being downloaded. And are u sure NOD32 was set up properly?

which AV detected them?

13. ESET User

ESET User Guest

Hmm! While I do use NOD32, I know there are problems with ESET. Not knowing what their refund policy is, commenting there other than to say they should have one for unhappy customers, would be futile. One should be able to get a refund within 30 days without question, no matter the reason. Mcafee gave me one on their AV and Firewall simply because I said I did not like their product.

I like NOD32 for its speed, but I've not been able to prove that it is any better than Mcafee or Symantec in detection rate. The software is not perfect as some may lead you to believe, but it works for my purposes. There is indeed an issue with tech support, however. If you are a trial user, you can forget about getting any sort of help. ESET will leave your questions and concerns unresponded to each and every time.

14. Marcos

o_O Why do you assume so? I work at technical support and am not aware of trial users being treated differently than paying customers. Of course, paying customers have higher priority, but I'm not aware of a case when a trial user didn't get a response just because he was not a registered user. Of course, those who use cracks for NOD32 cannot expect any help from Eset's side and their emails are ignored.

15. Hazeleyze

Hazeleyze Guest

They didn't say whether they had set it up according to Blackspear's settings or not. Might have made the difference.

16. JVM

JVM Registered Member

I also agree. I was using NIS 2005 until I came here and discovered a whole new world. Of course, discovering this whole new world has been somewhat costly, but I am happy :D

If not for this forum, I wouldn't have known about NOD32. The other thing is Blackspear's settings for NOD32 that I wouldn't have known about without coming here, not to mention all the great people here who offer their time and help us newbies out :thumb:

So, yes, there definitely should be a link on Eset's site to this forum!

17. enduser999

The trial version was being used by this person and all he did was download the EXE and installed it. No other configuration was performed to NOD32 since he had no indication from where he downloaded from nor in the trial that it required further configuration.

The application that initally found it was Ewido's anti-malware. The infection was confirmed using other anti-virus programs that had free trials available.

18. enduser999

See my other post regarding them not having done any further configuration on the trial.

19. Marcos

NOD32 basicly does not require any further configuration and with pre-installed options you should be protected perfectly. I would rather call Blackspear's settings "icing on the cake".

20. enduser999

Ok so by default if one installs the available Trial version of NOD32 then it should be able to find the viruses/trojan I listed earlier whether the archive files in question are on a hard drive or a floppy?

21. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Can you imagine trying to get a refund from Microsoft because you had had probs with windows?get real no product AV or otherwise is perfect,at least you do get to "free" trial Nod(unlike Windows:-you pays your money and takes your chance!)and can ditch it if you dont like it or it doesn't live up to your expectations during this trial period,If AV companies gave refunds because nasties were missed you could probably go through them all(probably take a year or two) and in the end have had a refund from all vendors and in the meantime have had your PC well protected(not 100% otherwise no refund!)and have spent no money!

22. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

On an already infected system, I'm afraid not, and this goes for ALL anti-viruses, once a system is infected all bets are off; safe mode is required and other anti-virus software is best to be used to confirm a system is clean.

Best results are always seen when a system is clean and then an anti-virus is installed and maintained. As well as other prevention software to give you a layered defence (see the link within my signature).

I agree with you 100% in regards to a prominent placement of this forum for support on the Nod32 website; why a company does not want FREE support being known about baffles me. I too found this forum by pure chance.

Cheers :D

23. ESET User

ESET User Guest

re:

I can tell you this from first hand experience. I've written ESET many, many times, and heard nothing back. I have no way of knowing if that is standard practice, but at the same time, I have no reason to believe they would single me out for a non-reply. So, I guess you have to do the math, or use logic as it were.

24. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I trialled the last beta version of the 32bit NOD which was released as a trial version and had a question that I submitted to NOD support and was answered promptly. But as I'm sometimes a little slow on the uptake I had to email them again for clarification of their original answer and again received a prompt reply. After the trial ran out I bought the commercial version. So for me the math worked out favourably, as for logic "Live long and prosper".

25. enduser999

With regard to the system in question being infected. The system itself was not infected per se. What were infected were archive files which, thankly the computer owner never opened. However NOD32 appears to have never found the Trojans in them even though a weekly scan was being done on this computer with the default settings for the trial version. Would not the archives options have to be enabled to have NOD32 scan within these types of files on scheduled scan?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.