Reformed characters?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by rollers, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rollers

rollers Registered Member

Just out of interest, how many of us on here are reformed characters from the early days of changing your Anti Virus every few weeks, trying out all sorts of weird and wonderful little programs that claim to make you more secure.
    Well, I can certainly put myself in that group just a few years ago, I must have held several licences for different AV's at the same time, always changing and destroying Windows to the point of re installation :)
    What do I have these days? Just a security suite, nothing else. My days of panicking about all kinds of new virus are gone. Strangely enough, I have not been hit with a virus or had to re install windows for a long time, the computer just works..........nicely.
    I just wondered if others have come to the same conclusion...........or am I just more content? :)

2. Circe

Circe Registered Member

Just out of interest, which security suite do you have installed on your PC ?

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I still like to test new stuff but at the end of the day or several days, i always return back to avast!. Mostly because no mater how much i like others, they ALWAYS have something really stupid that puts me off. But never with avast! which is kinda interesting. And even if there is something, developers are really working hard to make it work. Probably that's why i like it so much.

And i also use just one app a a time now. Layer approch is BS if you ask me. If ThreatFire would still exist and be updated like it should be, i'd probably be using it along my main AV, but that would be it. But since they thrashed it, i only use the AV now.

4. ance

ance formerly: fmon

I still like to test Bitdefender Free AV but I always come back to Panda. Thank you. :)

5. rollers

I have Eset Smart Security. I think its the only suite/AV that I ever got round to renewing

6. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

I think I will be settling down too. I purchased Kaspersky IS for my daughters and wife's PC's, but my own personal ones are WSA. I also really like NOD32.

Performance is a bit more important than protection to me, where as protection is most important on my daughters pc (and parental controls).

No matter how well WSA works, I still have to resist the urge to uninstall and start playing with other stuff. My wife doesn't understand why I like to play with AV until I break windows. :blink:

7. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I always have sandboxie and some firewall/hips. Other than that, it's the AV of the month.

8. Circe

Circe Registered Member

I've got a soft spot for ESET, quality product.

9. guest

guest Guest

I've already found a good security setup that works for me. But I'm still playing around with many security software. Think of it as my hobby. And since me olde netbook is still alive I can do some crazy tests in there. :D

Don't have enough time ATM though.

I don't think so~

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2013
  10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Same here, no surprise maybe ;)

I rarely test out AV's myself anymore, but I read from other people that test out AV's continuously to see what they think of them....

11. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I use to do this. I settled with GDATA about a year ago. Why? It scans every week in the background without you knowing while your idle. Updates every hour. Has a great behavior blocker in the new version. Its firewall can be set high and without any alerts. It contains both BD and CG engines, does not bother me and has consistently high scores due to its signatures.

I agree.

12. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

This has been ALWAYS my approach, I don't even care "suites" (except for beta testings) but a good av alone. I just feel pity for those ppl that embrace the so-called "layered protection".

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I do test less, and mostly within VitualBox or Sandboxie these days. Then there's AX64 Time Machine and Parted Magic. Sure saved me time uninstalling and fixing what's broken.

14. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! Macstorm...too quote Mr.T...pity the fool...Lol! I'm a dedicated user...of WSA ...now I've rediscovered Vipre I.S. 2013...that's been purchased by the folks at Threat Track...and on my system this past week it's been absolutely rock solid...the scan times have been substantially reduced...and the firewall with Hips enabled has remained bug free. And the signature updates are every two to three hrs...very impressed...if it continues...it's a keeper! And I'm using HMP on demand and HMP Alert2...their browser protection. Those who wait are eventually rewarded. Sincerely...Securon

15. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

I used to install a new AV every few weeks. Since installing Webroot SecureAnywhere in Feb 2012, I've not changed. It's nigh on perfect.

16. guest

guest Guest

Time for some GZ's weirdo philosophy again. :cool:

In my personal opinion, if your AV has more than just a system scanner, then it's also considered to be layered already. Had a URL scanner? That's a layered approach. Had a behavior blocker? That's a layered approach. Had a sandbox? That's a layered approach. Tweaked your OS and use an AV? Guess what? That's a layered approach.

I consider the usage of multiple third party security software for different purposes to be the advanced version of layered approach. This isn't necessarily a bad idea though. If your main line of protection was pwned, then you still have something else to save your day.

Maybe we can have a separated thread discussing about layered approach vs. monogamy approach? This might be an interesting topic. :)

17. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I don't think I'll ever be reformed. My choice of antivirus changes regularly. I don't use anything else for extra security, but if I did, I would change that often too.

However when I do switch software it is not an due to an endless attempt to make my computer more secure. I just like trying out different software.

I've done to that too - except when Windows breaks I spent the time required to diagnose and fix it rather than reinstalling/reimaging.

I'm very happy with Security 360 at the moment and may well continue using that because it so light.

18. rollers

Thanks everyone for your answers, some interesting reading here.
    I guess I class myself as reformed these days (spent too much time in rehab learning how to format and reload) I just want a machine that works these days as I don't have the time to mess around with them. Having said that.................I did learn an awful lot about computers through my tinkering and breaking :)

19. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I never went down that road. So nothing to reform.

20. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Wilders can be a tempting place for installaholics :)

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I am pretty much reformed as I guess, I had a hand in this lunacy. I use Eset and WSA and that is pretty much it, real time. Hitman Pro as always for backup.

22. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

That's 4 reformed thanks to Webroot SecureAnywhere and I see a lot of ESET reformers too (my second favorite choice).

23. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Registered Member

I was "reformed" until very recently actually. And, I have Wilders to thank for that! ;) I used MSE for years.

Now, however, after finding out about AX64, I feel very safe and comfortable going back to my "old ways" and testing out software; including AV's. I'm now using Avast, but will probably change soon. However, I will probably never be without Sandboxie (and now AX64).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.