RedHat Enterprise Linux 6 Beta - I can't wait

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi all,

Do you know what will happen in 2017? RedHat Enterprise Linux 6 will still be officially supported, seven years after being introduced in late 2010. This is a good thing. But do you know what's even better? CentOS 6, the free version of RHEL 6 lacking the commercial vendor support, will also be available to Linux users, offering super long support, stability and enterprise-grade quality.

And so, have fun reading my enthusiastic review of RedHat Enterprise Linux 6 (RHEL 6), a beta version of the upcoming RedHat release, including Wireless, Bluetooth, Samba sharing, NTFS support, suspend & hibernate, memory footprint, stability, new technologies, desktop effects, usability, and many other features. Enjoy!

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/rh6-beta.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Actually nor can I.

Good review.

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thank you for your review, Mrk, I enjoyed it.

My dilemma will be whether or not I should wait till 'my' CentOS 5.5 reaches end of life in 2014 or install 6 when it becomes available well before 2014.
    Even after installing 6 there will be 7 well before 2017 etc. , so the dilemma repeats itself :D
    By installing 6 before 2014 to get the 'modernised' interface etc. and 7 before 2017 for the same reason, would surely nullify the real advantage of the super long support. :argh:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  4. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

i keep my fingers cross for scientific linux 6 i goona replace my fedora 13 with that at last i get every thing what i feel in fedora 12 with long time support i guss rhel6 gonna be best release in linux history so far

the problem i face in fedora 12 is reppo is not been update like firefox its pretty old in rpm fusion ......etc where strange scientific linux is having more latest reppo than fedora12 :D

many people facing problem in fedora 13 with nvidia card and with due to new kernel as rhel going to use old kernel so i guss we dont face same issues hope so :)

but gnome (2.16) is like ages old gnome 2.28 is so far decent gnome for day to day work at least for 5 years or more :thumb:

so long time support, stability, yumex, latest reppo, updates, security, eye candy, games, multimedia ....................etc

shhhh too much to come .......:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.