Red Flag Linux - Going critical

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Let's step away from our daily bubble and try something new and unexpected. I've written a review of Red Flag Linux 6.0 SP1, a Chinese Linux distro, with mix of modern and old elements; topics include Wireless, Samba sharing, multimedia playback, applications, look & feel, customization, performance, problems, relevance, and more. Now, this little known operating system might actually be the one Linux distro to make it big in the home market, not Ubuntu or any other. Sounds crazy, but do read why.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/red-flag-linux.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

While I've read about this distro before, I was never tempted to use/test it myself.
    The review won't change my mind. Packaged software seems to be from the old-school hammer and sickle era. FF 2.0.0.11? For real?
    And users must run as root? As in 'All your baseworkstation are belong to usBejing'. Meh. (OK, a not-so-funny snide remark but it's a strange proposition).
    T-60 generation hardware should be able to function without too much hassle.
    While I completely see the point that a fine-tuned/chinese tailored distro can have HUGE potential, I'd suspect that savvy chinese (youth) who are interested in linux flavours, know all to well what's available.
    I agree with the final statement; A more up-to-date version of Red Flag could truly be a distro for the millions.
    Thanks for the informative review, Mrk.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  3. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

nice review Mrkvonic

i heard of it also but never tried it i guss it take time to become something like what scientific linux or cent OS really is ?

your rating is perfect 6 is fair deal

by the what other distro you recommend for perfect desktop for newbies excluding linux mint/ ubuntu base

4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Well,

Market share does not equal quality. "1 billion users" sounds impressive, but it may be more like Foxnews vs. PBS.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Not familiar with PBS, I know that Foxnews are fair and objective, though.
    Mrk

6. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I hope that was an attempt at sarcasm on your part, Mrk.

Later...

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.