recovery times

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by George Anderson, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Andy,
    When you have time, would you mind downloading this 316KB pdf file which I have created to simulate your backup and restore. Would you mind reviewing this file and see if it shows any procedures where you are doing something different. We all want to be sure we are speaking the same understandings. Each screen is numbered for easy reference.

For example, from all our discussions, I am understanding that all your TI backups were of the full image type (not files & folders) and were of the full disk type which always included both system and recovery partitions. Likewise, each of your restores has been of the full disk type where the entire disk is being restored. Perhaps your review will shed some light. I sense your frustration and I know all of us wish we could help you more.

http://206.128.27.80/gh-misc/ti-typical-restore.pdf

If everything fails and TrueImage will not work, we know we can restore system using the HP restore procedure. Either you can restore from your hard drive recovery (if accessible); or you can restore a broken system using the 7 CD's either already supplied or available from HP for about $35 which includes shipping. Hopefully you already have these CD's in your possession.

With Christmas approaching, not sure how attentive I will be to your posting but hopefully others will respond.

Merry Christmas.

2. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Wow !! very nice PDF file GroverH .
    I have one question for you if you don't mind ( I bow to your expertise) I always choose the last ".tib" not the first for a full restore and it seems to work very nicely. Should I actually be picking out the first file or is this just in Andy's case?
    I just reinstalled my WIN 98se ( I know whyo_O) and I can restore back and forth from the new image to my old image, until I get all my software installed. TI is amazing when it works and like you say "I sense your frustration and I know all of us wish we could help you more."
    I do hope Andy gets his problem resolved soon.

Merry Christmas to you!!!

3. GroverH

Thanks dbknox! I have always understood that TI recognizes it as a set and it does not matter which volume of the set you click when doing a restore.

My purpose in creating the pdf file was to try to prevent any misunderstanding from what is being done and what is being written. Sometimes what we say is not what we mean or understood and vice versa. I was just trying to avoid any mis-understandings. Whatever hardware or software issues Andy is having is much more than his share.

Merry Christmas!

4. George Anderson

George Anderson Registered Member

Well, I finally got my PC back up.

I did a restore from my HP recover disks. At least I have a system now. Not much on it. I installed TI and it works ok. Thats the good news.

I tried to use the TI restore disk. I did the exact same thing as GroverH showed in his PDF. It ran ok, al least it looked like it. I said it was done. I removed the disc and rebooted and it went right into a HP restore. mode I tried twice and it just went to HP restore. I just wanted to get back all the programs and file of the last year.

Well, I didn't work so what it did was reloaded my copy of Norton Save and Restore and did some backups. The program worked fine so I tried the Norton restore disk and that worked ok also.

Now I have about a weeks worth of reinstalling to do.

So what I am going to do is chalk the last few weeks up as a learning experience and stay wih NSR.

GroverH, dbknox, Brian K, and others, that have tried to help, thank you very much. I have learned a lot and I appreciate evrybody sticking with me and helping an old fart like me..

Everyone have Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

George Anderson (Andy)

5. GroverH

Hi Andy,
    The finish did not turn out as we had hoped but I can understand (and agree) with your decision. We were never able to establish whether the conflicts were hardware or software:
    • ..hardware
      HP Athon XP 64x2 dual core 3800, 2.08Ghz;
      IBM SATA 250GB drive;
      500GB External
      ..software:
      Ghost
      Norton Save & Restore
      HP Boot Optimizer
      and assorted combinations of Anti-virus and anti-spyware programs.
    Since Acronis support was unable to provide a workable program, you may qualify for a refund.

If you still have TI installed, you can use the "Mount Image" and get any personal files or data from your latest TI backup.

Keep updating your wife's computer as each new build comes out--just be sure and un-install the old before installing the new. Maybe, after more of "bugs" get corrected in V10, you may want to retry.

Hand's on is the best way to learn. Don't let age hinder your learning.
    At 75, I'm probably older than you.:)
    Merry Christmas.

6. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Well Andy all I can say is "darn" I am so sorry that you went through all that you did and were unsuccessful.
    I just reinstalled my old WIN98se and I am taking an image every time I add more programs and then I go back to my original image with no problems whatsoever. I just can't figure what went wrong at your end.
    Like GroverH says it is certainly understandble that you gave up.
    Look at your post and see how many people have read and probably learned from it.
    All the best and good luck to you.

Andy, Merry Christmas to you and yours

7. astribli

astribli Registered Member

Well I am having a similar problem with slow recovery times. MBR and boot is fine.

My problem is trying to restore an image to my Compaq laptop.

TI 9 loads in Full mode, sees my internal drive with 3 partitions and my external USB 2.0 (300 GB) drive. Select image, start restore, and off it goes at full speed. Both external and internal drive lights show full speed ahead and progress bar says it will take about 12 minutes (approx 16 GB).

Then after a couple minutes, everything slows down, as if it switched to USB 1.0 mode instead of 2.0. External drive light is flashing very slowly and internal drive light flashes about once a second. Eventually it says it will take about 6 hours. At first I figured ok, and let it run, checking on it every 1/2 hour or so. About 3 hours in, time was at 5 hours remaining, but no disk lights were flashing and no response from TI.

Now keep in mind that this laptop was in perfect working order. I screwed up and deleted some critical files so it wasn't a situation where the hardware failed all of a sudden.

Really strange thing is I hooked the external to my server and copied the image over (which has three partitions and the file size is about 25GB) to one of its internal drives. Fired up TI in Full mode and navigated to the backup image via the network. Same thing. Restore starts off and everything is blazing away with 10-12 minutes to completion, then after about 2 minutes, it slows to a crawl.

So, the fact the same thing happened via the networked drive as the external USB drive rules out a problem with the USB switching from 2.0 to 1. But I am out of ideas.

Anyone have any ideas on why it is slowing down all of a sudden?

8. astribli

Well well well. I did the "quiet acpi=off noapic" and it worked! Only took 12 minutes.

So, question is, what does that command do? More importantly, why did it solve the slow restore problem?

9. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Hi astribli have a read at this link
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/archive/index.php/t-117936.html
    for the "official" explaination.

I am always pleased when I read success stories on this forum. I have been recommending TI to all my friends and I read the fixes used on this forum daily if possible. Just in case one of my friends have a problem and come complaining to me.

I have to use the mouse=off command for my mouse to work, but with this "small" work around I am very content with my TI home version 9

10. astribli

Well wouldn't it make a LOT more sense to put these under options or something?

More important question is why isn't this documented in the recovery manager boot cd somewhere.

Even more important question is why does this have an effect? By default, when my laptop boots up, it runs full speed (cpu, no spinning down disk drives after x minutes, etc.). Those power saving features are managed by Windoze once it gets running. Basic system is running at 100% full speed all the time Acronic booty recocery is running.

So again, why did these APCI/ACPI options make the difference?

I agree you want software that is designed to be simple for the average person, but why not have an expert mode so things like this can be changed.

Not knowing these two little options caused me to waste 24 hours. I could have been back up and running in about an 15 minutes. Instead it took forever and lots of angry stress.

Sorry to rant but I used to do software development and I cannot see any reason these wouldn't be available to the user in some sort of expert mode.

11. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

astribli that sounds like a good idea to me. Maybe you should post the "expert mode" idea in the "wish list" forum. ( one never knows)
    Hey one has to rant once in a while!

12. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

yes this has been discussed at some length in this forum. I cannot understand for example why it is not possible to create a rescue disk with a set of run time parameters configured in the 'Create Rescue Media' wizard. Seems like a no-brainer.

F.

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello George Anderson,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

You said you have submitted a support request. Could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? I will find out how the investigation of your issue is going and expedite it if possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.