Recovery software for test box

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by FadeAway, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fce

fce Registered Member

base on my experience with RollbackRx8.1 (drive image), you're correct.

i don't know if that's big issue, but in my case, restoring the current system after doing image is not big deal at least i restore my system. i guess if you're fan with keeping lots of snapshot better not use RBRx8.1 drive image.

2. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

My opinion on instant recovery is FD-ISR over Rollback. For full imaging, its Acronis True Image 10.

dja2k

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Another little point when considering rollback is it requires activation which is really annoying me at the moment. FD-ISR doesn't.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That was another big issue for me. I'd get two activations, and then have to generate a support ticket for a reset. They did it, but it was a pain in the butt.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Still FD-ISR + Paragon Drive BackUp Pro for this user here. I even pushed the envelope a bit and backup also with DriveSnapshot

I can't attest either way about RollbackRx's usefullness especially if activation causes problems or delays. As for as functionality you simply can't go wrong with FD-ISR though.

I recently bugged my entire 200Gb drive divided by 3, where one of those partitions housed FD's Archives. This virus i turned loose was a nasty one, a file infector that writes junk data to the end of the executable pe. NOD32 was able to recorrect enough of the exe's to recover some dignity of being able to access at least 2 snapshots whereas the rest booted to a weird looking screen or not at all. Even a Copy/Update failed miserably with multiple errors.

Just when all looked lost, i simply salvaged some more important (& recent) programs from the snapshots of the $ISR directory with a special utility XYployer then set the HD jumpers on a storaged archives drive as Master since i fashion all my drives to boot to one machine. I started out from "Clean Storage" to recorrect the 3 partitions of the affected/infected drive, i first deleted the main FD-ISR system drive, wiped it, then done a quick format & reinstall.
    But turns out that those archives on another partition of the affected drive were not damaged one iota, because i reinstalled FD-ISR and commenced to Copy/Update to NEW SNAPSHOT from those saves and Presto! i was right back in business again.

To recover from such a disaster took a FD-ISR archive storage to carry out this bliss and actually prevented me from having to turn to my backup image, so in affect, FD-ISR served as my backup image program in this instance, and it didn't take no time at all really. Just the time consumed to salvage some of my programs from the $ISR snapshot folder.

Now mind you, this wasn't a killdisk trojan but it was nearly equal in that it render a whole host of snapshots useless, but FD-ISR made the recovery effort a complete success with a little help from Nod32. Needless to say i eventually deleted the other partitions and wiped afresh, and began again with the routine of Copy/Update to .arx's again.

This ordeal is been just one in many proofs that FD-ISR is performed with EXCELLENCE, well above & beyond the call of duty and reason for my own complete confidence in it. :thumb:

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I know what you mean. I've activated it only once. Then yesterday i installed a raid setup but windows refused to boot properly after that. So i did a reinstall of windows and now when i try to activate rollback it says i've exceeded my authorized activations!

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

One more warning to keep backups/images/archives on external media.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.