Recovery Program

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Badcompany, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

Yeah, sorry if I confused anyone. Today is the release of ShadowProtect IT Edition 3.0. The Desktop/Server Edition 3.0 release has not yet happened.

Also, for nForce users, when you boot the 3.0 recovery environment, be sure to use the Legacy environment. Don't let the name "Legacy" confuse you though - it's got all of the same functionality, and actually has better support for nForce.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

can someone please post some sreenshots of some shadowprotect versions,

having not really heard of the software, id like to see it, before deciding if i should give it a try.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks.
    Actualy I was thinking why not to use SP solely instaed of FDISR and taking incremental/ differentials that will spped up the process. But it might not be as useful as FDISR.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Aigle

Couple of things here. First FDISR provides another layer, as well as a convenience. Also when I use the IT edition it doesn't have Incrementals/differentials. When I use the Desktop version, I don't gain anything with Diff/incrementals. It would save space, which isn't an issue, but not time. I do all manual images, not scheduled and also defrag before imaging, so the time for incrementals/differentials isn't much quicker.

Pete

PS if this doesn't answer, fire away

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well that cleared things up for me.
    i will burn the version 2 iso to a cd today and test it once i reinstall windows on my old pc
    lodore

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U are right.
    Thanks

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

aigle,
    You can't compare FDISR with SP/ATI, just like you can't compare FDISR with any other ISR-software, like RollbackRx, PowerShadow, ShadowUser, DeepFreeze, ...
    I use FDISR and ATI for more than a year and there is a big difference between both in possibilities and convenience.
    ATI is only useful for me in 3 cases :
    1. To restore my system partition [C:]
    - with a clean image of WinXPproSP2 + FDISR combined with restoring clean archived snapshots, if I want to start all over again, but that happens very rare.
    - in case of a direct attack on FDISR, that corrupts FDISR, whatever the cause may be, this happened a few times, but not every day.
    2. To restore my data partition (complete or file-by-file), because FDISR ignores my data partition [D:].
    3. Harddisk crashes, which happen all the time :rolleyes:

All the rest is done by FDISR : small or big problems, going from my own mistakes to a frozen BSOD, the nightmare of each average user, who can't even get to Windows.
    I use FDISR all the time to try new things, to recover something, to DO something, ...
    At the end of the day, I use ATI to backup my data partition [D:], that's it.
    I don't need to backup my system partition [C:] every day, not with FDISR on my computer.
    I keep my system partition [C:] up-to-date with archived snapshots, the fastest backup I've ever seen, much faster than ATI/SP ever will be. :)

EDIT :
    FDISR is a very userfriendly software considering the complicated job it does, but there is only one big problem, you have to learn HOW to use it efficiently according your needs. Every FDISR-user uses FDISR differently.
    FDISR has only technical rules and all the rest is up to the user. FDISR has no rules for users, the user has to make all decisions in FDISR for himself and that's too much freedom for many people.
    Average users don't like to think, they want immediate action and as simple and as fast as possible.
    PowerShadow (f'reeware) is such a software, that's why it is so popular, but PS is nothing compared with FDISR.
    FDISR has no competition at this moment and RollbackRx isn't one.
    The main difference between FDISR and RollbackRx is :
    1. FDISR helps the user,
    2. Users have to help RollbackRx, to make it work.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.