Recovery Program

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Badcompany, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

I see you have your e-mail address book on D that is a good idea i don't you could do that,I will try and move mine to D drive.
    BC.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That's because I know how to do this for Firefox and Thunderbird.
    I cut/pasted their profile folder to my data partition and changed two files in the system partition to tell both softwares where they could find their profiles folder.
    This procedure is well described on the Mozilla website, so it's an official trick.
    I don't know how to do this for other browsers and email-programs.
    It was the most difficult part in separating my data files from system files, although it's quite easy, once you know how to do it. The rest of my softwares were alot easier.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  3. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

I agree. Stick with what works for you.

Also, to be fair, please compare performance speeds of ShadowProtect backup vs. Paragon. Some people just can't wait 10 times longer for their backup to occur.

4. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Likewise. It earned my trust shortly after turning to it a few years back when Acronis left me stuck in the mud because it always "failed" to restore the darn image, yeah it "said" it was imaging but if it can't do both then it's only a one-way proposition that is nothing more then useless. I ditched it after giving it way too many chances and way too much of my time, all wasted. I'm not even remotely interested in today's TI either, they lost me and for good.
    Ghost? Well, anything Norton's is going to cause some havoc too if you don't already some. At least they allow you to go forward without stopping in the middle of the process with an error like tI did. Still though, eventually left them too. I still have both those discs as relics of past failures to look back at and remember why i had so many heart murmurs back then. :D

PARAGON for me is been nothing short of a dream come true since day #1 and i have no regrets, only satisfaction.

As already mentioned, and in all fairness i think we all would like to review some speed comparisons between those 2. I hear a lot of high regard with the results found in SP so it does have my attention too.

5. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

As a matter of nosiness Peter, why do you need Windows based?

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not a nosiness issue at all. Simply that nonel the linus based recovery CD's work on one of my PC's Bartpe and Winpe work fine. It was a mouse issue among other things. I could use IFD, because it didn't need the mouse. Also Nvidia raid driver support can be a real issue. Both my machines use nvidia raid, and there are multiple versions of the drivers and not all of them work on both machines.

Pete

7. Peter2150

I was curious about this myself, so I did some comparison testing today. I did this as I don't think when we exchange numbers, it's as valid, as the machine setup can make a difference.

The drive I imaged had 19.9GB occupied. With the exception of the Shadowprotec IT edition beta(which has only 1 day left..sniff sniff) I installed all the other versions and ran the image from the desktop. The IT edition was run from the CD within the windows desktop.

Program..........................Image Time.............................Verify Time

Sp It Edition ......................4:26......................................5:03

SP Desktop V2.0.................4:26......................................8:15*

ATI V9 B3854.....................5:34......................................7:10

Paragon Drive Image
    Ver 8.5 Personal.................9:42.......................................7:00

Paragon Drive Image
    V 8.5 Professiona.............. 9:39...................................didn't bother

The verify on SP Desktop is done from the command line. V3.0 will have the gui version that was in the IT Edition beta

Pete

PS Someone told said Paragon had an image program that works from the CD the same way SP IT edition does. Wanted to test it but couldn't find any Paragon program that works that way

PPS. Is there an easier way to make a table:D

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

quote from Peter2150 "PS Someone told said Paragon had an image program that works from the CD the same way SP IT edition does. Wanted to test it but couldn't find any Paragon program that works that way"
    watch this video peter
    http://images.paragon-software.com/db/flash/9.swf

it shows starting paragon 8.0 from the cd without install and being able to backup drive's with hot processing with no install as well.

http://forum.paragon.ag/customer/viewtopic.php?t=1730&sid=320b1303420164de89671ef87c784b07

quote "the feature you described is called Drive Backup Master CD that allows starting our osftware from CD without installing it"
    lodore

9. Peter2150

Okay, interesting. Why is there absolutely no mention on the website.

10. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Here, search for zero install:
    Apparently not for the cheaper editions available.

11. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Astonishing times Peter. If I tell you that my Paragon from within Windows takes exactly 2 hours and from the bootdisk 1hr 45mins to backup 14Gb to External HD you will get an idea how quick your machine is!
    However, mine is a USB 2.0 HD connected via PCMCIA converter to a computer with only USB 1.1 capability, so that would explain some of it.
    One day........maybe

12. Peter2150

No doubt the machine makes a difference. My "older" machine is an AMD Athlon FX62 with the ASUS mother board, and the time above are about the same to an internal drive, but take about 20 percent longer to USB 2.0 WD external drives.

On my new Intel Duo Core machine, to an external USB 2.0 Lacie Extreme drive would add maybe 1 minute to the times above.

I can't get the Paragon recovery CD's to work, but with ATI on Bart and the recovery CD of ShadowPRotect the times are the same because they are in a windows environment.

Pete

PS I was surprised at the difference in Paragaon

13. Peter2150

I found it. Probably not available for the cheaper edititions for the same reason Storagecraft can't. License enforcement.

14. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Paragon Vista Plans

Hello Fellow Paragon users:

The vendor has the following site where you can view their PLAN! Hey that's different in itself a vendor with not only a plan but a published plan.

I have been nothing but impressed since I bought the 2 tools from them! Their software engineers are great. Their backup system have saved me at least 3 times from my own folly!

http://www.paragon-software.com/vista.htm

Easter!

I really like your timing study results. To do a full drive backup on my 145 GB maxtor drive takes about 28 minutes. This is with everything else off! and I mean everything, disconnect, no FW, no AS no ASW no defragger nothing. The last thing I want is a surprise update to something in the middle of the backup.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Peter, thanks for sharing this testing.I have few Qs.

1- What is ur guess about restore times in all cases?

2- What do u think if u had tried FDISR here, how long it would have taken to image the same? I heard that it,s very fast too.

Thanks

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok, ive never really heard of this shadowprotect, but if its just an image restore program,

what advantages are there of using this product over Acronis Home 10?

17. Peter2150

If Acronis is working for you probably none. I've used both, but I've only done simple restores with ATI. With SHadowprotect I've tortured my disks, restored other system images on to them, and SP has always restored perfectly. So for me it's speed and a confidence issue.

Pete

18. Peter2150

Will test. The images included two FDISR snapshots, so I am not sure an FDISR test would be a valid comparison.

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont like raxcos FDISR,

12gb for a clean vista snapshot, is wayyyyyy too much data for a backup that has to be stored on the machine.

sure you can boot quicker to it, but rollback rx does the same thing at only 150mb, and acronis does a FULL IMAGE at just 3gb.

so 12gb, i dont think so.

20. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

Thanks for the metrics Pete. It does look like Paragon has improved their performance since the last time we looked at them. Hopefully they can continue to do this. In the top end of the performance spectrum it becomes very difficult to make large improvements in performance because you're at the point where you're already using highly optimized implementations of the most optimal algorithms.

21. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Does anyone know which is the speediest disk controller? In my experience, Intel's southbridges are the speediest followed by NVIDIA's ones. Haven't tried on "pro" RAID controllers, though.

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

In that case time taken by FDISR to make a new snapshot can be multiplied by two, that might give an aproximate guess in practical terms. Am I right?

23. Peter2150

Working on the other image test. Then going to try something with FDISR.

Pete

24. Peter2150

Okay, second timing test, to try and answer relative to restore times, and also the FDISR question. For restores I only use the recovery CD's as the restore's from windows with reboot would be useless if the drive failed. Also to be a bit more realistic this time I imaged to and restored from my external USB drive a Lacie d2 extreme.

Again all images and restores were done from the Recovery Environment of each product.

As a baseline I repeated the image and restore to my internal drive. All restores were back to the system drive.

Shadow Protect (same with either edition) to internal drive

Image time = 5 min 15 sec
    Verify = 5 min 29 sec
    Restore = 5 min 32 sec

Shadow Protect to external usb drive

Image time = 7 min 2 sec
    Verify = 6 min 16 sec
    Restore = 6 min 26 Sec

Acronis True Image (Done from BartPe to external USB)

Image Time = 9 min 9 sec
    Verify = 6 min 30 sec
    Restore = 6 min 30 sec

Pargon 8.5 from their DOS based recovery CD. only one that came with download

I aborted the image after 20 minutes with less then 2.0 gb done, and it was showing 3 hours and 22 minutes remaining. At first I was surprised, but then I remembered I saw similiar times with Image for DOS. Terrible. THis was the standard cd with both the home and professional versions.

Then I did the FDISR test. I restored an image I had from right after I got the system. It was just like I got it from the factory, with KAV, a firewall and FDISR added. I had only the one primary snapshot in FDISR. Disk size at this point was 6.84 gig.

I didn't count boot times, and that can vary widely based on applications, and I have a beta on my system right now, that is a bit of a drag. Anyway.

First step was to create a secondary snapshot, which I did by doing a copy/update from my seoondary archive to a new secondary snapshot.

Time to do this was 4 minutes and 20 seconds.

I then booted to the secondary snapshot, and did a copy/update from my primary archive to my primary snapshot. This brought the primary snapshot from it's status on Dec 6th to current.

As a final irony, when I was done with FDISR the disk needed defraging. It was actually quicker to restore the original image I took when I started, then running the long defrag.

Pete

25. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

No disrepect intended to your choice C.S.J., and hey if it works for you then consider yourself in the elite lucky minority like ErikAlbert and others IMO. Acronis forums look like a haunted house on Halloween if you ask me, funny thing is, it's been that way for years now. Not exactly an endorsment for confidence IMO. I keep as far away from it as microsoft does their 98/Me operating systems they no longer support, and that's the only thing i can truthfully say i have in common with them. TI cost me a lot of time and disappointment i don't ever have the intentions of repeating again ever. And again, one need only look thru their forums at all the issues and some really toasted machines as in complete data loss. Not my cup of tea, no rant, just the facts Joe (Friday).

On a better and more confident note, can someone point me to the benefits that StorageCrafts Shadow Protect can offer that eclipses the competion? I need to be convinced that SP is all and everything that i've read about from the positive reviews of it because i'm of a mind to place my order very soon if it holds true, plus i need the IT edition i think if i read things right, i want to be able to do that critical imaging/restoring without problem or concern and from what i gather of Peter2150's results, they are right now at the top of the ladder in this field bar none. I need only to locally image AND clone to alternative disk with that blazing speed thats been raved over. And it also does a complete sector for sector partiton as well as full drive cloning also too right?

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.