Recovery Media Sees Only 1 of 4 Drives

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by RollbackUser, Feb 22, 2014.

1. RollbackUser

RollbackUser Registered Member

In case it's relevant, I'm a Windoze 8.1 user with a home-made tower running an i7 with 12 Gb RAM. I have 4 internal Hdds (2x1.5Gb,1x1.8 and 1x2.:cool: and a couple of externals (which are not relevant)

My System partition (together with the MBR) on the C drive are all I wish to backup (partition size 146 Gb usually less than 1/3 full) with Paragon and I've had no problem creating the backup/s. It is the second partition (of :cool: on Disk 0 (1.5gb) (as far as a booted win system is concerned. Other boots see the partitions differently - and that, I think, is part of the problem)

I also protect myself with Rollback RX which is "System Restore" on steroids and will protect you from almost all Windoze glitches. There are some things that cause it to fail, however, such as chkdsk fixes, defrags and occasional legit changes to the MBR processed by some of the Windoze updates.

When one of those events strikes, all the Rollback snapshots become unreliable to a > or < extent and you need something like Paragon to get you back to square one. It's taken me a few years of bashing my head against the Rollback limitations to learn this lesson and I had cause to implement it for the first time yesterday.

Failed. I hadn't thought to create a Recovery Media disk and couldn't get my system stable enough to create one to recover the Paragon backup I'd made during my last rebuild back in January.

So now I've learned that lesson, I've just about finished yet another rebuild, created Paragon backups at various stages and created a Recovery media CD. And I've tested it.

Boots fine, but sees only one drive (the 2.8Gb) which it labels Disk 0 and drive C

Went through ALL the options on the "browse for Archive" page but nothing would persuade it to see any other drives. I could live with it seeing Just the drive with the "real C" on it because I'm quite happy to store Paragon backups to another partition on the same drive. But as it doesn't even see the drive I need to protect, I'm at a loss.

The only thing I can think of is to physically unplug the other 3 drives before attempting recovery. Possible but a PITA.

Suggestions?

2. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

If you are using the boot media builder, you will need to add in the controller drivers to make sure they are properly recognized within the recovery media.

3. RollbackUser

Thanks for the reply.

I presume you mean controllers for the various HDDs? That would make sense but how exactly do we do that?

Also, why would it be necessary? I can boot off various alternative WinPe systems (BartPE, Hirens, Avast Rescue etc) and all of those see all my drives. Why would the Paragon version need extra help?

Indeed, as I can boot off those alternatives, do I need a dedicated Paragon boot disk or can I just copy the Paragon software to one of those disks?

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Perhaps more information could help.

What Paragon program are you using? How did you create the WinPE? How does Windows see the internal drives and partitions (an image of the disk map)?

5. RollbackUser

apologies. Forgot to check back for replies.

The problem is clearly with my machine, not the software. Recently had occasion to restore someone else's laptop which I'd backed up with Paragon and the paragon generated boot disk worked perfectly.

I'll be setting up a trial or two on my personal machine sometime in the future and if I still have issues, I'll continue this thread.

Cheers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.