Recovery Genius

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by wolfie, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfie

wolfie Registered Member

Has anybody tried Recovery Genius ?
    I think it looks like Rollback Rx. Anybody know the different ?

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Interesting, if it works of course.
    http://shop.goldensoft.com.tw/shop_en/Product/Product.aspx?ProductID=1
    Unfortunately, their links for manuals don't work for me or maybe the manuals aren't ready yet. :(

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I think I'll pass on that one. Look at the site. There are so many english error's it's terrible. Really sloppy. Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy about the software itself.

4. ErikAlbert

I think this product comes from Taiwan. Their email-address ends with .tw.
    It's not very professional to make language errors on a website, but English isn't their first language either.

5. Peter2150

There are many programs from non english speaking countries. But being professional, they manage to get it right. I have no desire or reason to try this software, so I still pass.

6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Reading through Rollback's FAQ and Knowledgebase on their site, there have been grammatical and spelling mistakes there too. It's a while since I looked so they may have been corrected since.

Oh, found an example:
    Should be "lose". And another where I think they meant "structure":
    They are still there. :( It just looks like it's been typed hurriedly.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  7. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Far worse than any spelling/grammar mistakes, reading about RG's features it smacks of a RollBack Rx knockoff!

8. ErikAlbert

Frankly, I don't see the connection. What have language errors on websites and documents to do with the product itself.
    If there were errors in the program code of the product, then I would agree.

9. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I agree Erik, but it's all down to marketing. The better it's presented, the more likely they will sell the product, whether the program is good or bad in design code.

10. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I don't think Rollback is the first of its kind. I mentioned once before PowerQuest used to have a program called 'Second Copy', which my dad still has on his computer. It is remarkably similar in that every time he boots Windows a snapshot is taken of the system, and you can recover files from earlier snapshots too.

11. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Rollback is not the first, second, third, or even fourth of its kind, but is uses a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT technology from SecondChance, GoBack, RestoreIT, and even FirstDefense, all of which are faintly similar to one another ... Rollback is a different beast all together. (And I am NOT a user of this program or ever have been, just noting some facts).

Acadia

12. Peter2150

Hey I can forgive grammer sometimes but this one was just plain so sloppy:

"CD Management
    CD GhostV6.0
    Hard Driver Protection
    Recovery GeniusV6.1"

Hard Driver Protection instead of Hard Drive. That is soooo bad. No doubt you could find examples of bad grammer on all websites, but candidly my first reaction to this was some of the bad phishing emails.

Software might work, but support..... Hey someone give it a go and let us know.

13. ErikAlbert

On first sight RG looks even better than RB.
    More than one snapshot PER partition (C: D: E: ), maybe even more than on one harddisk and a restore time of ONE salty second. :)
    The only way to verify this is trying RG.

14. Heco

Heco Registered Member

LOL... Isn't it GRAMMAR, the correct spelling, dear Peter?;)
    Cheers:D

15. Peter2150

ROFLMAO. Heco beatiful. I bow to your astute observation, that sometime both my spelling and grammAr IS off. :D

However I stand by my premise. I know in my business I have a very able person working for me and we always check each others work. There are occasionally some good laughs about the goofs we both make, but at least they don't make it to the clients. I've learned four eyes looking at critical things is a very important check. So to me a lot of glaring errors on a website is a concern.

That said I might feel better if they were where I could pick up the phone and talk to them. I did do that with both FDISR and Rollback. But for an oversea's phone call it would have to be something I wanted badly and couldn't find elsewhere.

16. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Since both are off there, Peter, that should be "ARE off".:D
    ;)

:blink: ...or were you just baiting me?

17. Heco

Heco Registered Member

... but the relevance and accuracy of all your posts in this forum are always ON, my Rollback Rx guru!:D
    Cheers:D

18. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

This product does look interesting but it's release date 06-25-2004 is what makes me a little timid. I would think that they would have updated since then but I guess not. Strange we have not heard of this to much before.

Thanks,

Chris

19. Peter2150

YEP:D

20. Peter2150

Thanks Heco. Sometimes typing the fingers just can't keep up with the mind.:rolleyes:

21. wolfie

wolfie Registered Member

Version 5.0 and 6.1 release date are 25-06-2004. Isnt it strange ? And it's only US$ 9.95

22. ErikAlbert

That is indeed suspicious, alot more than the language errors.
    Looks like they gave up on the development of RG and are selling it now for a cheap price to make a last profit of it.

FDISR/Rollback are on my list anyway after image backup and I hope I can find a combination of both, that satisfies me.
    Meanwhile, it's also possible that some company develops a similar and better product, that puts FDISR and Rollback in a museum. The software market changes all the time. :)

23. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I wouldn't touch it - click support and check their forum - all deleted and locked down. Looks like a ghost town.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.