Recovery disk does not boot properly

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Capetonian, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capetonian

Capetonian Registered Member

I have installed Backup & Recovery 2011 (Advanced) Free. Everything works fine except for the recovery disk which will not boot on my desktop machine.
    It complains of 'Undefined Video Mode Number 314' The machine is an Intel Pentium 4, 2800 MHz, Video Adapter Intel 82865G Graphics Controller. The version 2010 recovery disk fails in the same way but a version 8.51 recovery disk boots fine.

All 3 recovery disks boot without problem on a much older Celeron 2000 MHZ machine with a SIS 650_651 Video Adaptor.

Is this called progress ? Does anyone have any idea what the problem is ?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. Capetonian

Thanks for your advice Cudni.

There are numerous threads regarding this problem but none have a straightforward solution. BartPE would be simple enough if there was a Paragon plug-in for the 2011 version but it seems not.

In the meantime I have downloaded Macrium Reflect. Their Linux and Bart PE recovery disks both work 100% so I think I will stick with this until someone comes up with a solution. Can't risk depending on an image without a dependable recovery disk. Pity, I have been a long time user of both the paid and free versions of Paragon Backup & recovery and like the product very much.

4. arthurb

arthurb Registered Member

Hello Capetonian (if you are still around...)

I had exactly this problem with Paragon Drive Backup 9 and 10. The recovery disks for V9 work perfectly on my Compaq Presario SR1519UK (approx 4 yrs old), but those for V10 do not (they fail with a variety of 'video' problems). As I said in another thread a couple of years ago, a stand-alone recovery disk that fails when you need to restore is about as much use as a chocolate coffee pot.

I am stunned that we are now at V11 and still this issue has not been addressed, and the driver set (and/or whatever else is needed) that was available for V9.5 has not been made optionally available in V11. I have just used a trial copy of V9.5 to backup my system disk, containing a recently updated copy of XP (SP3), and have the stand-alone CDs for emergency restores.

I was going to try B & R (Advanced) 2011 Free edition, and then, if it actually worked, buy the Home/Personal Edition when available. That all seems like a damn great waste of time now...

... if you are still around Capetonian, how do you rate Macrium Reflect; does it work as well as Paragon B & R for creating and checking disk archives, with the added benefit of having a recovery system that actually works when it is needed? I am going to check it out, but would appreciate any information from you about its function, ease of use and reliability (or from any other Macrium users).

5. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Most if not all Paragon paid versions come with a WinPE recovery ISO that you can download which should work for you. The B&R 2010 Free Advanced created disc wouldn't work on my system. I use HDM2011S which came with the WinPE recovery disc ISO image file.

6. arthurb

arthurb Registered Member

wptski,
    I thought that the WinPE recovery system was for Windows Vista and 7 only; for XP, which I am using on this desktop, the recovery system must be Linux or BartPE, and the latter has much the same problems as the former (if your can get the system built at all).

Could you tell me if what I said above is wrong - it certainly wouldn't be the first time of course.

Regards.

7. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Yes, I believe that you are correct about WinPE as it was first introduced with Vista.

8. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

WinPE can be used in a computer with XP installed. The computer should have at least 1 GB of memory. I have done it without problems.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  9. Capetonian

Arthurb

Regarding Macrium Reflect. The free edition supports backup/restore at the disk & partition levels but the file level operations are disabled. This doesn't bother me because I do an incremental file level backup daily with Seagate Backup Manager.

Two versions of recovery CD are provided, Linux and BartPE. I prefer the Linux version because it looks a bit more polished and is much quicker to load. I have tested both versions restoring disk & partition images for Windows & Linux without any problems. I will stick with it for now.

10. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Bootable recovery media runs independent of the operating system you have installed.

You could use Linux, dos, bartpe, pe2, pe3, pe3.1, pe4 etc.

What matters is that the media actually boots up properly on your paricular hardware.

Winpe 3 and later has some advantages - but does require 1 gb ram to run properly - MS reckon it will run on 512mb - well maybe, but it would be slow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.