Recovery Disc XP and Vista..

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bimbobo, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bimbobo

bimbobo Registered Member

Hi,
    I have a new PC running Vista Ultimate,.. but I made an Acronis recovery disc on another PC running Xp Pro. Can I still use it to make and image and other tasks on the Vista PC?

If yes, making an image of C partition withVista and the 2nd partition D, will allow me to reinstall this image on a new formatted hard drive if necessary?

Regards

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

I believe that the CDs are independent of the PC on which they were created – however, you will probably be reminded “1 license – 1 PC”.

3. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

He did not ask any questions about a licensing issues. The Disc should work on any XP installation. I would boot the computer you are going to use it on to make sure it works.

4. TheWeaz

He also did not ask if the CD could be used on another XP box.

5. bimbobo

I asked... a recovery disc made in XP can be used in Vista.
    Or does the RCD has to made with the same os you are going to backup and restore?

Regards

6. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

Provided it can see all your drives then yes, it doesn't matter what is on the drives or in the image.

7. TheWeaz

The CD has its own OS - Linux.
    So it doesn't matter what OS is on the PC.
    The problem with the CD is that sometimes the Linux drivers may not work (or work well) with certain hardware.

8. BillyPig

BillyPig Registered Member

No, he didn't, but it was fair comment.

Pig

9. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I would be interested in what A Representative of Acronis thinks about this. The issue is beyond this question. If you make a boot disc for Acronis assuming you purchased the product somewhere can you use the boot disc on another computer. Remember many of the users only use the boot discs and unistall the product completely. So which computer can You use it on. Can your make a dual boot system & use the boot disc. I assume that if Acronis actually thinks that this mattered they would find a way to limit the use of the boot disc to only one computer. Remember they sell products that allow an individual to load multiple operateing systems on computers as well a clone operateing systems. Why would they not limit or forbid cloning if they thought that you could only use their product on one computer. Another question can you use he product in a virtual machine. Why should you not pay for software you use on a virtual product even if it is the same machine. Also every vendor probably has a different view of this matter. Also local laws may come into play. Some local laws may allow for use on any computer you have, others may not. This is why I feel that this issue should not be raised unless you represent Acronis as either a Seller or you are an employee. Lets face it the original question was not whether he had a license to use the product but rather of would the boot disc work for both XP & Vista

10. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The license is for one machine.

11. TheWeaz

If you want to know what Acronis thinks about the issue, read the manual:
    "1. The license is to the original purchaser only, and is not transferable without prior written
    permission from Acronis.
    2. You can use the software on a single computer. You cannot use the software on more than a
    single machine, even if you own or lease all of them, without the written consent of Acronis."

12. bimbobo

I think the license should follow the owner not the amount of PC for private use, that's why people keep installing "illegal" versions.

I have 3 PC at home, should I by 3 licenses? I only used Acronis on 1.. but seriously, "you ask people to be "pirates" and install fake copies".

Think if a family should by a car for every person...
    I found this policy a nonsense.

Anyway I need only to use it on 1 PC, but can see why "bad behaviour" is present worldwide.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.