Recovery CD fails on Dell Optiplex 320

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by GPhillips, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GPhillips

GPhillips Registered Member

I am trying to use Acronis Home 10.0, build 4940 (just purchased) on a Dell Optiplex 320 with SATA hard drive, USB Keyboard and Mouse. It crashes during load of the full version. I have tried the "acpi=off apci" and it does not work either (but with a different log-see attachment).

I have tried this on 2 out-of-the box machines and the problem is the same.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Get your free upgrade to build 4942 (?) and see if it solves your problem.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello GPhillips,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please do as Ralphie suggests and download and install the latest build (4942) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If updating does not solve the problem, please also try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If you're not able to create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) then please do the following:

- Boot your computer from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears.
    - After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, remove the word "quiet", click on the OK button and choose "Full Version".

When the screen stops scrolling please write down the output information you receive (last 5-10 lines), or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screen. You can use Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn keys to scroll the screen manually.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

P.S. Please also note that a possible workaround is to use a BartPE-based bootable CD created using Acronis True Image plug-in for BartPE and allowing one to boot the computer into a Windows-like environment loading the appropriate drivers for any hardware devices installed in the computer at startup.

Acronis True Image plug-in for BartPE comes with the Acronis True Image installation and can be found in the
    \Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\BartPE folder.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. GPhillips

Downloaded the new version and tried the suggestions with the quiet and apci=off noapic - no luck.

I also built a BartPE boot disk with build 4942 of Acronis. I am trying to recover from a external USB drive. BartPE booted fine and both the internal hard drive and the USB drive show up fine. When I attempted to do a recover with Acronis, I receive the error "E000101F4 Acronis ... has not found any Hard Disks". However, if I do a Verify Backup Archive, it shows both disks just fine.

The Dell has a SATA drive if that makes any difference, but the Recovery CD seemed to recognize it fine.

I have several of the Dell Optiplex 320's and they all have the same issue.

5. GPhillips

BTW I am building the BartPE with a standard retail WInXP SP2 CD and not the Dell Recovery CD.

6. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Are you using the plugin supplied by Acronis? If so try one fo Mustang's plugins Mustang's BartPE Plugins. They are better because they give you more functions. Follow Mustang's guide Begginer's Guide to Creating a BartPE CD for excellent instructions.

7. Acronis Support

Hello GPhillips,

Please be aware that we have already received similar requests from other Acronis customers. Moreover, the fix for this issue was created and will be included into one of the future build of the appropriate version of Acronis True Image.

At this moment we could provide you with the Acronis True Image Bootable Media image (in common ISO format), which include the fix. In order to get the ISO image, please submit a request for technical support with the subject indicating that you want to contact Aleksandr Isakov. Attach information about your purchase of Acronis software (order number, e-mail, serial number, etc.). As soon as we receive the information, we will provide you with the link to download the ISO image.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

8. GPhillips

I sent a request to the Acronis tech support link per your instructions yesterday. Any idea when the link will be sent? I am stuck until I get some resolution to this.

Thanks.

9. saph03

saph03 Registered Member

Apparently related to this thread, my bootable Acronis Recovery CD displays the message:

Loading, please wait

infinitely. I need some help to resolve this.

I am on a trial of Acronis True Image Home 10.0 - I love what I see, but I cannot get past this problem. If I get past this problem, and succeed in recovering bootable images, I plan to purchase (much better than Norton Ghost!).

My system is a home built box with Intel D975XBX2 motherboard and an installed PCI-Express Silicon Image 3124 SATA card from CalDigit (FASTA-4e).

The scenario is this:

1. WD Raptor attached to Intel SATA on Motherboard configured as IDE (no RAID, not AHCI mode). WinXP Pro is installed and running on this drive.

2. Three drives attached to Silicon Image card via external port multiplier. These drives are where backup images are to be stored.

I create the Acronis bootable CD (actually DVD media) on a USB-connected CD/DVD drive.

I am testing the ability to recover, so I simulate a hard drive failure by disconnecting the system drive (1) above.

Next, boot from Acronis CD. This gives me a screen where I choose True Image full version.

This goes to a screen that has the Acronis logo, and then hangs on "Loading, please wait".

What I am expecting is to be able to "see" the drives in (2) which is where images will be stored.

10. GPhillips

I took the advise of Thomasjk and used the Mustang Script and BartPE with XPE. It works perfectly, although getting through the setup process does take a bit of patience. With this combination you can boot something that looks and acts just like Windows XP, but runs entirely from CD. Thanks, Thomasjk!

I had already tried BartPE with the Acronis plubgin for BartPE and it did not work properly (Acronis Home did not recognize that the system had ANY drives).

One note: I would be surprised if the trial version will work with BartPE since one part of the process copies the product key/serial number to the boot CD. Also, if you are using an external USB drive, plug it in when you boot, otherwise it does not see it.

Good luck.

PS. Still waiting for a response from Acronis for the Recovery CD Image above.

11. saph03

saph03 Registered Member

Thanks GPhillips.
    I tried Mustang's plug-in, but I'm having difficulty getting the plug-in configured. If I ignore the errors, then when I attempt the BartPE build, I get this error:

Error: SetupDecompressOrCopyFile() "C:\BACKUP\B1\X\I386\files\Common Files\Drivers\*.*" to "C:\pebuilder3110a\BartPE\Programs\TrueImageH10\Common Files\Drivers\files\Common Files\Drivers\*.*" 3: The system cannot find the path specified.

The destination path looks ... wrong.

Still trying...

12. saph03

saph03 Registered Member

Success.

I was able to get a bootable recovery CD by using the Acronis BartPE plug-in (not Mustang's stuff, though I'm sure that's good) and simply copying the SATA card drivers to the C:\pebuilder3110a\drivers\SCSIAdapter folder. That is, I copied the entire folder containing the CalDigit FASTA-4e drivers (Silicon Image 3124) as a subfolder into SCSIAdapter folder.

I also populated C:\pebuilder3110a\drivers\Net with a folder containing my LAN card drivers, but I do not think this was necessary.

I enabled the Acronis plug-in, then did the BartPE Build (using files copied from a WinXP with SP2 setup CD).

With this CD, I was able to boot BartCE with the C: drive disconnected and fire up True Image. True image then recognized the 3 backup drives on the SATA card. I could not perform a backup/restore because I have the trial version, but this gives me enough confidence to buy.

Still, BartPE is cool and all, but it would be nice if the True Image product could make a successful recovery disk itself...

13. thomasjk

The reason that you had a problem with Mustang's plugin is the the Trial version. Mustang's plugins assume that you have a licensed version and looks for the serial number. If you buy and build a BartPE CD use Mustang's plugin. They have more capability than the one supplied by Acronis.

14. saph03

saph03 Registered Member

Thanks thomasjk,

I've purchased True Image 10.0 now and will probably try again and post the results.

15. Acronis Support

Hello GPhillips,

Please note that as far as I can see the link to the ISO image of the Acronis True Image 10.0 Home Bootable Media, which include the fix, was send to you via e-mail on March 23. If you have not received the e-mail, please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address and we will send you the link once again.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

16. Acronis Support

Hello saph03,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post and see if the issue persists?

If that does not help, please collect the following information that would allow us to investigate the issue and provide you with a solution:

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If you are not able to create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) then please do the following:

- Boot your computer from the Acronis True Image 10.0 Home Bootable CD and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears;

- After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, remove the word "quiet", click on the OK button then and choose "Full Version".

When the screen stop scrolling please write down the output information you receive (last 5 lines), or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screens and send the captured information to Acronis Support Team. You can use Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn keys to scroll the screen manually.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

17. saph03

saph03 Registered Member

So I did what the prevous post suggested. I've attached screenshots of the screen when it tries to boot.

Bottom line:

1. cannot get Acronis CD to boot
    2. was able to get BartPE CD with Acronis plug in to boot
    3. see previous posts for details of system specification and how BartPE CD was created

Anomaly:

At one point, I did get a boot up - perhaps i accidentally hit the "Safe mode"?
    However, no hard drives could be found. The only hard drives in the system at the time were attached to a CalDigit (Silicon Image SiI 3124 based) card. The Silicon image BIOS is 6.3.18. These drives ARE seen under the BartPE boot. I have successfully reimaged drives on the SiI 3124 under BartPE.

Final thoughts:

It sure would be nice if the Acronis recovery CD would boot and see the hard drives. Creating a BartPE CD is non-trivial for the occasional user.

Attached Files:

18. saph03

saph03 Registered Member

one more pic

Attached Files:

19. thomasjk

Yes, BartPE is non-trivial but you only need to create it once and then again only when the build changes. I've never been able to have the full version recue CD (TI9 B3677) work on my desktop. I use BartPE exclusively.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  20. Acronis Support

Hello saph03,

Thank you for the provided information.

Note that in order to solve the issue you would need to contact Acronis Support Team via e-mail. Therefore, could you please submit a request for technical support with the subject indicating that you want to contact Aleksandr Isakov. Attach the link to this thread and the information about your purchase of Acronis software (order number, e-mail, serial number). I will provide you with the further instructions.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

21. saph03

saph03 Registered Member

Dear Aleksandr,

I submitted a support request, but forgot to mention your name.

The number is: Acronis #973694

22. Acronis Support

Hello saph03,

I have sent you the instructions via e-mail as a reply to your request. At this point, it would be easier to continue the investigation of the issue through e-mail, because the process may require you exchange certain files, logs, etc.

Should the ISO image I have sent you not solve the issue, please reply to the e-mail and we will help you solve the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

23. grndhg13

grndhg13 Registered Member

I submitted my request for help with the Optiplex 320 issues on Wednesday morning or afternoon, but as of Thursday night still no response.

I got the confirmation email that my request was received, but no responses as of yet. Since then, after about 16 hours of building and testing BartPE, I finally got TI 10 home to work fully on the Opti320s.

PS. Yes, I included my serial number, purchase #, and order info in the support request. Seems they're just a little slow to respond no matter how you contact them. Too bad though their response is so slow, but it's a GREAT product when it works!

Still a TI supporter!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.