Recovering from a DVD?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by GaryA, Aug 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaryA

GaryA Registered Member

I'm stuck.
    I can write my HD image to my DVD without problems but when I boot off the recovery CD - it doesn't recognize the DVD. The manual says I should be able to recover from a DVD if I boot from the recovery CD so I must be missing something. I've looked through the forum and experimented without success.

Thank you

Acronis 8
    Windows 2000Sp4

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, GaryA

Welcome to Wilders and Acronis Forums.

I cannot say if you are missing anything or not. :D

Have you tried making a Full and safe CD-BootDisk, and see I there is a difference.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. GaryA

GaryA Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and no difference - still doesn't recognize my DVD-RW

I have learned that my DVD-RW does not have a Manufactures ID in its firmware. I'm pursuing a firmware update to see if that solves my problem.

Does this recovery method from DVDs work for others? If so what Manuf/Model DVD are they using?
    I'm attempting to use a new Artec DVD-RW Model VOM 12E48X.

Thank you for any suggestions.
    (I'm beginning to suspect that I may need a new higher end DVD-RW to get this to work)

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, GaryA

I restore from DVD+RW, Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-106D.

I do not use UDF.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

5. Charles Plumb

Charles Plumb Registered Member

:) Same as "The Quest" but my dvd is a Pioneer DVD +- RW Pioneer DVR-107D. It seems to read stuff even when the CD is scratched. I don not use UDF either. Burn to a drive and copy to DVD is much better than burning direct so I have never missed the direct burn feature.

6. GaryA

GaryA Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.
    My firmware update did not solve the problem.
    I'll check out the UDF suggestions - I didn't consider this before.
    I'm still considering buying a different DVD-RW - I always tend to try to save a buck or two then end up spending way too much time trying to get things to work but I learn alot in the process.
    Thanks again

7. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Does your writer show up in the bios? What software did you use to write the images? Depending on how you wrote it you may have to have that software already on the machine in order to read it. Impossible if you are doing a boot restore. You may recover by reading it on another machine with the same software and the rewrite it in udf.
    If you see your burner in bios and it shows as a system device, try a program to write called CopytoDVD. It's great, and fully functional with a trial period. It should work with your burner.

If you are considering a new writer, consider a Plextor 708a at a minimum. You can then use Plextor'sPlextools dedicated program. The higher price of a Plextor is worth it just for this software. You will be amazed a how simple and problem free optical writing can be.
    Just do a pricewatch search for the best price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.