Recovering Data from Damaged Truecrypt External Drive

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by David Kirba, Feb 24, 2016.

1. David Kirba

David Kirba Registered Member

Hello all,

I found my way to these forums while searching online for ways to recover data from a damaged Truecrypt external hard drive that I have. I found this thread, but my case differs a bit.

My drive is a Western Digital 500 GB external drive. It was formatted ext4 on Ubuntu and then encrypted using Truecrypt. I have the password of the drive but no rescue CD. This drive was used only for storage and does not have system files on it.

Now I've been using this drive to store photographs in RAW format for about 4 years. After a one-year break from using the drive, I plugged it in and was prompted to format the drive, which I did not do. However, my mind blanked out on the fact that it was Truecrypt encrypted and I ran Testdisk to try and recover the data. During the process, I overwrote the partition table. It was only a few days later that my memory kicked back into gear and I remembered Trucrypt. However upon trying to mount it with Truecrypt on Linux, I get the "Not a Truecrypt volume or invalid password" message.

My question is, is there any way to repair the volume headers and recover the data without a rescue disk?

I am creating an image of the drive using Testdisk to prevent any further damage.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Best regards,
    David

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.