Recover from Windows 10, Instant Recovery, Macrium Reflect 6

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ashwin, Oct 21, 2015.

1. ashwin

ashwin Registered Member

Hello
    I recently bought a Lenovo T400 with Windows 7 and saw the free update to Windows 10. The compatability checker provided by MS said my macnine was “good to go”…

In the past few days before, I’ve installed Macrium Reflect 6, and Raxco Instant Recovery.
    The file version of the Inst Rec is: 4.0.100.1190

I have made several complete images using Reflect, and also the PE Boot in form of USB bootable software.

I made an Inst Rec snapshot to put the Windows 10 on.

The Windows 10 install made it to the point of showing me the new desktop, with all the programs I had installed on W7.

The machine crashed when I tried to open one of the programs. I did a force shut down by pressing and holding the power button.

Upon booting up, I now only get a gray screen with the circling dots. After several minutes I gave up and did another forced shut down.

During boot, the Inst. Rec option does not appear as I though it would to allow me access to another snapshot.

The bootable function from Macrium DOES work, and now I am looking a the PE screen getting ready to do my first image restore.

I saw over at ten forums a similar post, but it looks like in his case he has an system that boots fully and is working.

Before I give up on Windows 10 for this machine, any advice on how to:

Get past the gray screen

Or

Access Inst Recovery with any of the other “F” keys?

Are those force shut downs damaging to a machine?

Thanks

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

My setup is enough different it would be hard to answer, but let me ask, other then being free what do you think WIn 10 offers you.

3. ashwin

ashwin Registered Member

I used XP with FD ISR since 2006 when you and others in the forum helped me set it up. Saved my buns a few times now. I’d prefer to ride off with that set up into the sunset, but:

I am using several graphics programs, and at least one of them does not perform correctly with XP, so I bought a box with Win 7, and I still could not complete my projects due to errors.

Then I noticed the upgrade offer to W 10, and thought it may be a way to get caught up on “drivers” and “codecs” so I could cover that base. I do not fully understand even what those items are. I asked one of my suppliers why his videos were jerky on my computer, and he said my system (XP) might be out of date… I don’t know.

I was even having trouble registering on members sites with the XP, and the trail led from Windows 7 to the upgrade offers for W 10.

That’s it. I wanted to check and see if the video software would run without the errors I was getting on XP and Windows 7. Maybe it is just inadequate video software.

I’ve read that there is less and less versatility with each upgrade from XP on up to Windows 10. I’m in no rush to go there, but was willing to have Windows 10 on a snapshot to check it out.

4. ashwin

ashwin Registered Member

I have the Macrium Windows PE up now (from my external USB hard drive) on my desktop.

When I follow the instructions in the pdf for Macrium 6, and
    “click next and select all the defaults”… I get the message:

“Macrium has encountered a serious problem.
    Dump file 'c\reflectv6.1-871-x64-15.dmp' created
    please mail this file to support@macrium.com

I cannot access my desktop on this computer, as Windows 10 jams up.
    Does anyone know how I can navigate to the dump file?

If I remember right from your posts Pete, you’ve done many flawless restores of both Windows 10 and Windows 7 using macrium. It was one of the things that encouraged me to try this. Not sure how I messed up.

I’ll contact Macrium support.

The image that failed I verified a few days ago. I’m verifying it again from the PE area, and it did start the process, but it is taking a while.

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Are you able to access the TaskManager via ctrl-alt-delete?

If yes, perhaps select file..new task... and see if inputting cmd.exe will allow cmd to open and from there navigate to the dmp and copy it to a usb?

6. ashwin

ashwin Registered Member

Thanks- I tried another image, and it is going through the process now. I'll wait before giving any more commands. Oh I'd love to see that Windows 7 again...

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi ashwin

Your Lenovo should have a recovery setup. I have you tried putting it back to factory settings. You might try that. Couple of other things.

I've only fooled with Win 10 on one desktop. What I did was image the image, install win 10 from an iso cd, and then image that. Now I can restore back and forth. I think one thing that helps, is I got rid of the 100mb partition, so the only partition I have is the c: drive.

I also have a fairly new Lenovo think pad. I treat it a little differently. For on thing no windows 10 on it. Also I created separate images for each partition. I now just image the c: drive partition. I do treat it as a bit more fragile then my desktops.

If all else fails I'd call Lenovo, explain the situation and see what they can do to get you back to factory settings.

Pete

8. ashwin

ashwin Registered Member

Thanks Pete and stapp- Posting now from my recovered Windows 7 system on the T400.

What a wonderful chunk of software Macrium is.. Not sure what happened the first few

tries to get the dump alert, but trying another image worked.

FYI, I created 5 images of the system, just seeing how it worked, and tyring to
    understand what some of the advanced settings meant. I named them in order,
    and #3 was not in the list of options to restore from in the Win PE area.

Pete- Lenovo has been good to me. This is my second Thinkpad, my R series is still up
    and running after 8 years (XP+FD ISR), so I am trying the T400 and am considering an SSD.

Regards.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.