Recommended USB DVD-R Drives?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Beowulfpk, Aug 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beowulfpk

Beowulfpk Guest

I am going to be purchasing an external USB DVD-R drive specifically for use with the Acronis Bootable backup. Can anyone recommend any good models that have worked well for them?

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Registered Member

The most popular and reliable drives are the NEC and LG burners. Benq is also popular but not quite as reliable. Be aware that you may not get 16x speeds from USB2. I prefer firewire, as it has a much higher throughput than USB2. LiteOn has a 1693 model in a USB2 case that's a decent burner with the right media. Also keep in mond that if you plan to burn directly from Acronis, that you will not be able to control burn speed which is not good for DVD burning. The drive will try to burn at max speed, (for the media), and various problems with burn quality and buffer under-run can and often do occur. If you stick with 8x rated media you should be alright.

3. Beowulfpk

Beowulfpk Guest

Does Acronis work well with the 8.5gb DVD+DL format?

4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Registered Member

Dual layer media is not cost-effective for data storage, hard drives are cheaper per GB of storage.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

And a darn sight quicker as well!!

Regards

6. Beowulfpk

Beowulfpk Guest

I got a LG USB DVD burner MODEL: GSA-5163D and it doesn't work with the latest build :( Ar....

7. amalcom

amalcom Registered Member

Guys, I have the new LiteON 1693SX and True Image won't notice it with DVD+R in it.

However, Nero does fine using the same 16X media. True Image seems to think the drive should only have CD media in it from what it replies.

Anyone have a fix?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.