Recommended Internet Security Softwares with no lag

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JoaiSi437, Aug 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoaiSi437

JoaiSi437 Registered Member

hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and I've been looking for some answers to a few of my questions lately. My laptop came with Norton Antivirus but everytime I start up or reboot windows, it lags and takes a long time to load. I am only using 20% of my hard drive due to the fact that I've recently just reformatted my computer. My laptop is also fairly new. I searched online and tried out McAfee Internet Security Suite and it made the problem worse. What are some other Internet Security Softwares that work very well but also does not take a great deal to load. I understand ZoneAlarm Security Suite 6.0 and BitDefender are also great programs, but how do they run on the computers? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

bitdefender 10 whihc has just come out it ment to be quite light on resourses and also try kaspersky internet secuirty

3. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

I recommend Kaspersky Internet security Suite, Bitdefender and BullGuard.
    All are really good security suites and pretty low on resources.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

McAfee and any other will probably always make you problems until you remove Norton completely

First , goto Start->Settings->Control Panel->Add/Remove programs
    and make sure all your previous antivirus softwares are removed . You can manually remove their tracks left in C:\Program files after that

Since you have had Norton , you have to use Symantec's removal tool to completely remove it :
    • Automatic procedure (requires IE and ActiveX)
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...sf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

• Manual procedure
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...view=docid&pid=2005033108162039&pkb=tsgeninfo

McAfee also has removal procedures if it fails to remove in the normal way
    http://tools.mcafeehelp.com/doc.php?siteid=1&docid=71541&support=ts
    http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=71525

It would be smart to check your computer for unused software and remove them + their tracks . Also , you should delete all temporary files , use Windows Disk Clean-up with all checked
    from Start-Programs-Accessories-System tools-Disk Clean up

I generally recommend NOD32 Anti-threat system and do not suggest all-in-one suits because one vendor can have one excellent component but another too poor and aslo because suits will be always heavier than some stand-alone softwares.But if you do insist on all-in-one protection suit , you can try Kaspersky Internet Security 2006 , Panda Internet Security 2007 . . . . . . . :thumb:

5. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

i will suggest you either of these,
    1.Kaspersky Internet Security 6
    2.Mcafee Virusscan Plus 2007(and not internet suite)
    3.Zonealarm Suite.
    Panda is good,but i presume it will give your mem a serious run for its money....
    So stick to any of above three.

6. JoaiSi437

JoaiSi437 Registered Member

Great! Thanks for the detailed explanations and the procedure for completely uninstalling norton. Much appreciated! :)

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well he said secuity suites... so bitdefender kaspersky or f-secure

8. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

the Submit button got stuck lol

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  9. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

I would recommend TMIS trend..but it misses far to much It was my fav for yrs... but it kept missing trojans!!!!!! i used 2005, light and good, I guess u could run ewido like i did with it for extra strengh..but if u pop on Avast or something then u notice it really is heavy! Bitdefender 10 i would be curious in too..but its still in beta not sure if its buggy or not! ....... but when the final pops out i might try it...... Im a great lover of the suit'es too but i wonder if theyre actually necessary? a good Av Good Antispyware might just do the trick, I liked Nod32 but Avast is even faster..so Im staying with that for now untill all these's beta's are out and comparisons too, try avast and ewido and microsoft antispyware seems ok here. Im yet to find a suite that is light maybe that new avg 7.5 as theyre renown for being light..is the go?....Kaspersky well that was slow too although very good but to slow,I have a router/modem so i had no idea it acted as firewall, I've learnt alot so now im just going for AV's! and its much better to use the pc i didnt realise how bogged down i was whole new experience less frustrating!! But my pick would be Trend over them all, MD

10. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

I suugest KIS 6 or Mcafee Virus Scan plus.:cool:

11. Durad

Durad Registered Member

I would suggest:

NOD32
    and
    Loon n Stop Firewall

NOD32 is know as gamesr choice, it does not slow down PC and does not effect game performances :)

12. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

id go with kaspersky internet security. ive very little experience with other suites tho.

the upcoming eset security suite should be interesting once it comes out.

13. Legendkiller

what i forgot to tell about mcafee virusscan plus is that it also has a systemguard which monitors registry changes and other suspicious programs running on one's pc.

14. superdookie

superdookie Registered Member

AVG is great for this, i heard about there new version 7.5 and have beta tested it and it covers everything!!!!!! and doesnt slow down my machine at all

15. Legendkiller

well i asked this question avg 7.5 thread also,is their anti-spam licensed or their own??

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

KIS, right out of the box.

17. Patrician

Patrician Registered Member

AVG should only really be used as a last resort as it's so poor when it comes to detection.

18. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i think antivir is also working on a version with firewall.

19. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I have uninstalled Norton products and sometimes you have to use a removal tool from Symantec to totally clean the traces.

For Security Suites I would try Kaspersky.
    An AntiVir suite would be interesting though.

20. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

It has quite decent results in the latest av comparatives tests for on demand scanning,beating a few others.
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.