Recommendations for light CPU, few false positives

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Stringtheory, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stringtheory

Stringtheory Registered Member

I've set up a couple different systems with different antivirus programs, thinking that once in a while, I can enable drive sharing and cross-scan with a different virus tester. The main goal is to have double-checks for any suspicious files. (And no, I don't set up multiple A-V's on one machine)

Ideally, on the primary systems, I'd like to minimize CPU load, and avoid false positives, -and- make sure that nothing is auto-deleted without letting me intervene. (As already posted, I've already lost some legitimate files to Bitdefender, and I'm not at all happy about that).

Aside from the thoroughly buggy Bitdefender, I've been running Kaspersky on one system (works pretty well), and Trend (not as well). I'm considering Eset or Norton to replace Bitdefender on the main development system. I haven't researched this for a couple years, so I was surprised to hear that Norton is now more highly regarded than the older hoggish Norton that I had experienced. And Eset's ratings seem to have slipped a bit on av-comparatives.

Question is then, within those constraints (light CPU, min false positives, user intervention before delete/quarantine), what are the tradeoffs between Norton and Eset? I'd love to hear user opinions, as I'm less trusting of net reviews after the bad experience with Bitdefender.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello Stringtheory,

See our Policy on these type questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.