Recommendations for dialup downloader?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MikeBCda, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I discovered the hard way that the built-in downloader in Firefox (1.5.0.7) doesn't support resuming after a broken connection. Virtually all the third-party stuff I've looked at seems to assume that everyone's on broadband these days, and is primarily designed for multi-thread and torrent-style operations, which of course are essentially useless on dialup.

My ISP made an interesting point -- said that file downloads aren't recognized as internet activity (??), so at least some disconnections might be from "inactivity". Suggested I leave my mailer open and checking mail frequently. Of course all kinds of problems can cause dialup disconnects, but that trick might at least reduce their likelihood a little.

Any suggestions for a good (preferably free) downloader compatible with Firefox, where all I'm really looking for is the ability to resume an interrupted download? My "old reliable" used to be RealDownload, but I ditched that ages ago when it got so bad for spyware that even my security utilities were objecting to it. Plus it's no longer available, except maybe bundled with RealPlayer.

Thanks and best.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i use getright (not free) with the flashgot extension for firefox.

heres some free download managers u can try tho:

leechget
    free download manager
    flashget (not to be confused with flashgot)

3. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

Yeah, flashget is now free. Go give it a try if you haven't yet.

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Star Downloader is another free,clean program.
    It integrates with Opera,Firefox,and IE.

5. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I like FreshDownload (http://www.freshdownloads.com/) It's free but requires (free) registration, but gives you 30 days before you have to register. I've seen some scanners detect it as adware, but it's not. The only catch is that you have to do free registration and their website shows ads, but they don't sell your email addres, they don't spam, and the software is good. Since not every server supports download managers, I use the FlashGot extension so that I can choose between the download manager and Firefox's built-in downloader, and do not use the browser integration in the download manager.

I actually tried out GetRight over the last couple weeks and liked FreshDownload a lot better. It just seemed to work better for me.

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

The absolute best for dialup is FlashGet.

8. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I am also on dial-up. I use MetaProducts Download Express, it supports resume to continue your download the next time you are connected again. ;) :cool:

But if you are using dial-up in your home and you want to download big files then it's more better to go get a portable flash drive key and visit internet cafes with fast broadband connection, plug to usb and that's it... more practical and fast way of downloading files. I've done that most of the time, coz even if you have download manager and your pc is in dial-up it could still be terribly boring to download big files. You cannot enjoy surfing while at the same time downloading a file/s, it really could affect your enjoyment...and dial-up has very limited speed. :oops: :p :'( o_O

9. herbalist

herbalist Guest

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, there are a lot of free options.
    If u want to use specifically with FF, u can try for DownThemAll extension, I used it long before so forgot what features it offers.
    Now I use Flashget with Opera.
    LeechGet looks very nice and neat.
    For most of them to use with FF, u need Flashgot extension.
    StarDownloader free was not so good and feature-rich for me.
    FreeDownloadManager, only bug was that sometimes it will catch previous link for redownload and will miss current one-- it was really annoying, so I removed it.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

From FlashGet users, I want to ask one Q. Is there an option to get a systray icon for each of ongoing downloads as u can get in LeechGet or FDM?

Thanks.

12. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

aigle,
    No individual notifications. Flashget takes a different approach. Since Flashget is an indivudual program, it can reside in the systray and when opened, it displays all the pending downloads and their download status. You can stop or start or add more.

Attached Files:

13. GroverH

FlashGet is a really nice program. I use dialup and have used FlashGet for a couple years now. I liked it enough to purchase but it is now is freeware. It works well with both Firefox and IE although you do need an extension for it to work best in Firefox. Anyone interested in more info about the extension can post a request for more info.

In addition to resuming downloads, etc, it has several great features.
    • Thru the course of my websurfing, I will initiate a download and then stop the download and not resume it until usually when I am done surfing for the night. Then I restart all the paused downloads and Flashget will close the connection after completion of all downloads. A reboot still retains all info--same as before the reboot.
    • Provide a listing of all recent downloads--even up to 50 or more and point to where downloads are stored.
    • Store into different folders--if instructed.
    • Add user comments to the download.
    • Provide full path to source location.
    • Point to file in its storage location.
    • Virus scan--everytime or only on request.
    • Many more feature--too many to list here.

Attached Files:

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks, Antually many others reside in systray and show additional icons for ongoing dowbloads as well. I like this feature as I can see the progress of ongoing downloads while surfing without opening main window of FG.

15. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

FG also has a square download graph, showing speed , progress, upper rt corner screen, variable transparency & moveable. About 1"x1". With different colors for each download.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

ya but as I said i like an option to see it in tray area so u can avoid opening main woindow.

17. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

The little box. Less than 1"square. Is independent of the main window. The main window or GUI or interface can be CLOSED. And the little box will still appear. And if you'd like. You can move it right above the tray. Or the middle of the screen or anywhere.

Edit: Just measured the little box. It's 1/2" x 1/2", not 1" x1".

18. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Before I totally forget, thanks to all for the suggestions. :) I'm playing with FDM for starters, and I guess my only minor gripe about it is that it doesn't seem particularly user-friendly for setup options, particularly with regard to defining groups and default download folders. I'm starting to get the impression that some things in it can't be changed until they've been used at least once.

But what the heck, as I said in my initial request, the ability to resume a broken download is top priority for me.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

How to show it, I mean where in the options?
    Thanks.

20. GroverH

This is what zapjb referred:

Attached Files:

21. GroverH

Another Flashget Right click option.

Attached Files:

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ah, u were talking of drop zone, I have disabled it though.
    I personally don,t like this on my desktop-- nothing wrong, just a personal liking. I am too choosy sometimes.
    Already much space on my desktop is used by widgets. I will try to adjust it somewhere though.
    Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.