Recommendations for a free setup?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by argus tuft, Dec 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waters

waters Registered Member

How does avg free have added ewido detection in realtime?

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

No, they are 2 different things. AVG Anti-spyware and AVG Anti-virus. The free Antispyware only scans on-demand.

3. waters

waters Registered Member

Exactly

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

How are the heuristics in AVG?

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

no idea, but avg said they have made good improvements here, its one of 2 major selling points for the new version, that and ntfs data stream scanning.

6. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

The more I was thinking about the total protection issue, the more I am convinced about that every av which has more than 90 % overall detection is enough, because the HIPS solutions will patch the rest. ONLY that matters which has as low CPU usage as possible or maybe that too how effortless this combo is to use. So, check those combinations out in your system and that's it. Here are some 9 combinations to check out.

AntiVir Classic
    Avast Home
    AVG Free
    =======================
    Cyberhawk
    Dynamic Security Agent (DSA)
    Spyware Terminator
    etc.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2006
  7. Durad

Durad Registered Member

I do not recommend F-secure 2006 because he already switching because of bugs with Trend Micro.
    F-Secure in my expirience crashed several times with no reason. That icon just become with red cross on it .......

This is my recommendation:

1 - AOL ActiveVirusShield without security toolbar
    2 - SpywareBlaster
    3 - IE-Spyad
    4 - Spybot Search Destroy (immunize feature)
    5 - IE 7
    6 - Jetico Firewall v1

bakup

Ewido Micro
    DrWeb CureIt without heuristic module

8. theflamingbush

theflamingbush Registered Member

this is a solid free piece of advise!.....good choises macaroni!

I would add one other piece of active protection, and that would be:

SSM (free edition) as an active HIPS, it is excellent and will stop any unwanted process violation.

you might also wish to employ sandboxie (free), as a browser addon, it is small excellent and will protect your system if you are browsing dodgy sites or nefarious area's of the net!....best security addition this year outide of SSM.

JUst a mention, the firefox extensions you want, to ensure maximal protection, from activex, javascript, attacks are:

Adblock Plus
    Noscript

I dont know Netcraft ToolBar, but it might be worth a look.

apart from those already mentioned, you might want to stop the avirataskikon from acting as a server, this will stop it using a port as a continual connection which can be a little annoying, but the guard will keep working and is top of the range! ( that includes paid AV's)

AVG AV (free) is also an interesting addition, but you must be sure to either turn off the resident shield or manually configure when downloading and DONT download the rresident shield, so that it does not conflict with the far superior Aviragaurd you get with your other AV. The reason i mention having a second AV on demand is that you can always double check your system this way, as well as ensuring that you have an active email guard working, as AVG has one but Avira doesnt.

enjoy, and surf safe! ;)

9. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Macaroni was referring to AVG Antispyware, not AV. The antispyware should live well with any AV.

10. joao_proscrito

joao_proscrito Registered Member

Well, I have an entirely free setup, and I'm currently very happy with that. It's light as a feather, and that's the most important thing to me. The thing I hate the most is security programs slowing down my pc.

Active:
    AVG Free
    Kerio 2.1.5
    Arovax Shield (If my wife didn't use my pc I would use SSM Free)
    Sandboxie (for p2p and ocasional unsafe surfing)
    Spyware Blaster

On Demand:
    Spybot
    A-Squared Free
    AVG Anti-Spyware
    SUPERAntiSpyware
    Avira Antivir

Plus I run some hardening tools like Secure-It, Safe XP, WWDC, etc...

Some don't like AVG Free, but I love it. Sure it has standard detection rates, but is soooo light and doesn't have update problems and stupid advertising screens. Plus using Firefox with NoScript, CookieSafe, and Adblock Plus gets ride of the bad spyware boys.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
  11. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I'm back to using the full AVG 7.5 Internet Scurity Suite,(AV, AS, FW)but was wondering how Arovax is working for you joao_proscrito? I liked that program and although I see the benefits of SSM, I think this is more in my league for added protection.

12. joao_proscrito

Well I had no problems with arovax shield. It's very very light, and does it's job. I absolutely recomend it, and it works very well with avg free.

13. duke1959

So you don't think it would be too much adding it along with the AVG Internet Security Suite then? I was thinking since I use FF with NoScript I may remove the Spyware Component and just use Arovax Shield instead.

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont think you should add anything else with AVG ISS

15. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

That begs the question why?

16. joao_proscrito

I don't know if you should disable the anti-spyware component. Arovax Shield protects the registry, windows policies, hosts file and the startup. I don't think that AVG ISS does that, so I'll stick with both programs because they complement each other.

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

cos you just dont need it.

if you have a suite, you shouldnt have anything else installed for security, thats why its bought.

if your gonna disable the firewall or whatever in the suite, why bother buying the suite?

a suite will keep you secure, adding crapware as i like to call it, and gimmicks like HIPS are just not needed.

18. duke1959

I can see both sides to this debate, and although I won't uninstall the Antispyware. I still wonder why I need anything more than an AV and FW with FF and NoScript. If anything though, I would think that Arovax Shield with what all it covers would be a better choice than an Antispyware. I read what AVG Anti-Spyware is suppose to do, and as far as scans gp it most lilkely does what it says, but for RealTime protection,what does it do for Firefox?

19. joao_proscrito

The only problem here, is that you should have a program that protects against 0-day threats, something not based on signatures. And Arovax Shield is like a very small, microscopic hips, that doesn't affect the speed of your PC and gives you basic coverage of several important things.

The thing is, in reality I never had an infection on my PC, only two years ago on my old laptop when I downloaded a crack from a warez site. I never done that again, and it was that experience that made me want to learn about security. So, in fact, were all a little bit paranoid freaks, and you'll be pretty safe with just AVG ISS, but I feel a little safer with Arovax, despite I know it's a very small app, with very limited protection. It's a mind thing... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.