recommend on demand av to use with nod?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by tobamore, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobamore

tobamore Registered Member

Hello,
    I am just asking whether anyone could recommend a good av to be installed and run *only* on demand alongside nod? I am still a little concerned about nods apparent anti trojan weakness and though I'm also usually running tds3 too, it would be nice to have an option of added security. I tried to run kav 5 alongside nod, but for some reason there was a conflict and the system crashed, any others? Maybe even using the kav engine?

Thanks in advance,

David.

2. kairii

kairii Registered Member

how about online scanners? no conflicts with nod32 at all :)

3. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

F-Prot for DOS is free and awesome.
    Bitdefender Free version is also pretty good.

4. pollux

pollux Registered Member

Hi.

You could always download and run the free eScan AV toolkit on those occasions when you feel the need for a second opinion. It is based on Kaspersky, with definitions updated weekly, and requires no installation. You just run it and then delete files from you temp folder. It does not quarantine files, however.

It is useful to get a second opinion in case of infiltration. While I did run the eScan AV toolkit on a fairly regular basis during the trial/beta period of NOD32, it never found anything NOD32 missed. I also did the occasional online scan, as well (I'm partial to the beta scan at TrendMicro, which runs in Firefox because it uses java rather than ActiveX), but with the same results. So at present these are mostly references I keep around in case I do make a mistake and get an infection, kind of like the old, clean HijackThis log I still have even though I've switched browsers for everything but Windows Update.

eScan AV Toolkit
    http://www.mwti.net/antivirus/free_utilities.asp
    TrendMicro java online AV scanner (beta)
    http://no.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/products/beta/housecall_pre.php

pollux

Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  6. galo

galo Guest

Use PestPatrol or SpySweep for other malware control besides NOD!

7. leehigdon3

leehigdon3 Registered Member

If you're really worried about trojans, then I wouldn't screw with an on demand scanning solution. Trojans are only a problem once they've been executed and are running in memory. So, the idea is to kill the execution before they become resident in memory and start doing damage. From that point, the malicious files can be deleted, or quarantined and registry edits can be made. That means running something resident. I'd recommend BOClean, which only runs resident. I use it alongside NOD on one system and alongside other products, on other systems. Have yet to see any conflicts on my systems. The support from the developers of BOClean is up there with the best. Updates occur every few days, if not more frequently. From NSClean's web-site about BOCLean:

"Any time any process or dependency is started, BOClean stops the program (momentarily) the moment it's ready to actually start running. This allows the program to UNPACK (unwrap, decompress, etc.) in memory whereupon BOClean halts it, sniffs it and if it ISN'T a nasty, then lets it proceed. If it smells like a nasty, BOClean halts it completely and then throws up a box asking if you want to remove it and its entrails completely. "

BTW, I'm not associated in any way whatsoever with these folks. Just a very satisfied customer.

8. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

I use NOD32 as on access AV, and on demand I use KAV 4.5 (Choose 4.5, not 5.0, because in 4.5 you can choose to not install KAV Monitor and KAV Control Centre) and Dr.Web. Run fine here.

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

How come I can't run that Trend Micro beta scanner on IE? I have MSJVM. Why doesn't it detect the Java? I don't use Sun Java although I use Firefox. If I need Java, which is very, very seldom I open IE. (I won't run any of the on line avs that use Active X). I don't see why it matters which Java I have installed.

10. pollux

pollux Registered Member

I think you answered your question yourself there. If the scanner doesn't detect MSJVM, then I would suppose that it won't run with anything but Sun java.

You could always use the feedback form at the TrendMicro beta scanner to request that MSJVM support be added....

pollux

11. sard

sard Registered Member

I thought MSJVM had been discontinued http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[LN];LifeAn12

Microsoft did a deal with SUN to end the law suites because they had been illegally altering Java.

12. pollux

pollux Registered Member

Yes, I that's my understanding also, and it would explain why the TrendMicro beta scanner only works with Sun java. However, some people continue to use MSJVM, and if they would like the beta scanner to work with it, they'd probably need to ask TrendMicro to include it.

pollux

13. sard

sard Registered Member

They should just uninstall MS java and then go to this webpage http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp to get the free up to date SUN version.

There's no chance of companies making their software compatible with a discontinued product. It's hard enough convincing them to make them compatible with thriving software like Firefox :D

14. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

LOL, good point :D

Cheers :D

15. pollux

pollux Registered Member

I would tend to agree. I was just hoping to avoid an off-topic discussion about the relative merits of MSJVM.

pollux

16. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

MSJVM is NOT discontinued. The April 1, 2004 agreement between Sun and Microsoft granted Microsoft the right to continue support for MSJVM until December 31, 2007. There are a LOT of users who detest Sun Java and refuse to use it as long as MSJVM is still available and being patched. We just had another thread on this recently at dslreports where XP users were asking how to get it. I have IMed the links so many times I have lost count. I only use Java for Speakeasy speed tests and the second thing would be Trend's tool. I don't miss having Sun Java installed on Firefox in the least. I never need it except for the speed tests (and now for the Trend tool if they will support it).

I would like to be able to use Trend's scan and even if you all think it is a waste of my time and really weren't serious about suggesting that I request support for MSJVM at the beta forum, I going to do so anyhow. Why was requesting MSJVM support suggested if you meant it as weird joke or something?

17. sard

sard Registered Member

What's wrong with Sun Java?

18. pollux

pollux Registered Member

It wasn't meant as a weird joke, I was just hoping we wouldn't have to get into the great MSJVM debate, if for no other reason than the fact that it doesn't have anything to do with this thread or NOD32, even.

The extent to which MSJVM will continue to be supported is not really that interesting to me, anyway, and in any case I think a person can continue to use software that is no longer supported in any way.

pollux

(I use Win98 and Kerio 2.1.5, BTW :))

19. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

The answer is totally OT so let's not go there. :) I didn't mean to get the thread off on this when I asked about why I couldn't run the Trend scanner with MSJVM and I don't want to get it further OT but I felt I needed to correct the erroneous information about MSJVM being discontinued.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.