Recommend me a graphics card

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Tony, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

The psu calculator is quite accurate. Just choose 1 socket for your cpu. It set at 85% utilization. As long as you won't be pushing the pc to its limit like a heavy game thats a good mark. To be honest psu's in emachines and budget systems are of low quality. A cheap psu can make your pc crash. Bestec are mass produced by a cheap taiwanese company. They do ok but not so efficient. A PSU is never 100% efficient, some of it lost as heat. A good one is upto 85% efficient. So that cheap 300W might be only 70% efficient and is only producing a real 210W and is made up of cheap parts. Also they can lie about the true power it can produce in the first place. If money is tight, save up for one quality part 1 month at a time. Then you have a great pc. :) Chip prices will come down again soon. People who went out and bought a quad core will find they wasted there money as 2 new intel chips come out next year that make quad core look slow. Intel chips dont consume as much power more energy efficient than AMD and you get faster speed for cheaper. so wait till autumn next year before upgrading, anyways get a good quality psu around 400W from one of the brands i recommend.

Quality PSU Brands and do what they claim.

XCilo
    Hiper
    Antec
    Tagan
    Corsair
    Fortron
    EnerMax
    SeaSonic
    SilverStone

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  2. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Ok, you got me concerned now lol.

I have just done a calculation however on http://www.extreme.outervision.com

And providing i have correctly marked everything, then my Recommended PSU Wattage is 238 watts o_O

3. markymoo

yes thats about right over 200W for sure around 220-240W

it best you get another 1GB of memory. this would give better performance gains than a low end graphics card over your existing graphics and you wouldn't need to buy another PSU. the improvements of a budget graphics card over your existing onboard will be minimal. if you don't get the one you want you end up buying twice anyway and get the one you really wanted lol

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I want to thank everyone again. I'm looking hard at PSU's at the moment.

@markymoo, Thanks, I will have a look at the brands you mentioned. I'm trying to choose a quality unit because when I'm done using this machine, a relative will get it. Your list will help me :).

5. markymoo

6. innerpeace

LOL

I'll have a look. I'm learning more than I wanted to at the moment. I'd rather play with security software programs :p . The place I shop at, newegg.com seems to have a new community forum eggxpert.com so I'm giving it a try too. Newegg only ships in the US in case anyone was reading this. Thanks markymoo :).

7. markymoo

Yes everything is so cheaper there in the states like on newegg. I used to read the newegg users comments on products that was interesting. Have you played with Comodo 3.0 firewall yet? The final is out, it highly rated.

8. innerpeace

Nah, I'm not currently setup to try new programs. That's why I'm looking for hardware lol. I did get version 2.4, but I waited a couple weeks after the release until the masses found the bugs. I'm glad I did because there were fixes for problems.

I think I have found an Antec that might suit my needs. 380 watts should be enough for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.