Recommend me a graphics card

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Tony, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Hi, i have the EMachines E4064 listed here.
    http://uk.emachines.com/support/product_support.html?cat=Desktops&subcat=4000 Series&model=E4064

It only has a 300 watt power supply.
    Bestec model ATX 300 - RE REV - F1R.

I have had a look inside the machine today, and i do not really fancy the job of upgrading the PSU, and as i am not a gamer, i do not need a high powered card, i only really want one to get rid of the on board card and free up the memory that it uses.

I dont want to go ahead myself and pick one in case it will put too much of a strain on the PSU, and as there are many knowledgeable people on this forum i am hoping that some of you can help point me in the right direction.

I will look forward to any recommendations and advice.

Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  2. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

In that case your onboard video is all you need.

IMO you would be much better off spending the $ on more memory, not on another video card.

Do you want better video card because you're using Vista ?

3. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

you can go for any nvidia 8400gs based ddr3 256 mb memory card imho.or if you have more cash then go for 8500gt based card..

4. dNor

dNor Registered Member

If you're not gaming and low on power, something like an 8400GS will be fine. Around $50 US, DirectX 10 for future Vista use (if ever), draws little power, solid performance for the price.

The memory is only 64-bit, so if you want to step it up you could go to an 8500GT or higher, although the power consumption starts to increase visibly (although not dramatically).

Not incredibly familiar with ATI's latest batch of cards.

Here's an example of an 8400GS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814145148

Edit: and clansman77 beats me to it!

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

This is my graphics card :
    Sapphire (PCI-E) X550 Advantage 256M DDR PCI-E VGA/TVO/DVI-I Heatsink 128bit 200Mhz

Is that a good one or just for average usage ? Don't even understand what it means. LOL.

6. dNor

dNor Registered Member

For average use it should be fine. It doesn't feature DX10 if that matters at all to you, and it could be a lot better. If you're not gaming you won't see much, if any, of a difference using a different card though, so you're fine, especially on XP.

7. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

The 8400GS looks like it will be suitable, maybe pushing it a little with the 8500GT.
    Thanks clansman77 and dNor for the suggestions.

Thanks also FastGame, my plans were, graphics card for my birthday and memory upgrade for Christmas :D
    I also had Linux in mind with regards to the graphics card, and the X200 is a bit of a pain in the butt to get working with Beryl.
    I should have mentioned this.

Thanks again, and i would welcome any other suggestions or advice.

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Thanks, then I'm OK. I don't do any graphical stuff. Some video-editing, but I don't watch video on my computer.

9. Tony

Tony Registered Member

I`ve had the 8400GS installed for 3 days now.
    System is performing perfectly and stable, much better so than with the onboard graphics.

One question, speedfan shows the card as running at between 51 and 54 degrees C.
    Is this temperature ok??

Thanks again :)

10. dNor

dNor Registered Member

Glad it's workin for you. :)

~55C is fine.

11. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well, to be honest an 8400GS should be pretty OK for a 300W PSU......I even once ran a GeForce FX 5900 on a 300W PSU without significant problems :D

12. dNor

dNor Registered Member

Yep that's why it was recommended. :thumb:

13. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi, how would that card do with gaming. I also have a similar setup with an e-machines w3410, 300W power supply and on board graphics. I'm not looking to watch dvd's, just maybe play slightly older releases of games. I'm also looking for a good deal with this weeks sales ;).

I'm ordering a cd/dvd burner and an external HDD this week, but if I can find a good deal on a decent graphics card, I will grab it. I'm in the US and have used Newegg before and like them. If you see anything, please let me know.

Thanks,
    innerpeace

14. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

If you want something recent and cheap you could try the Radeon HD 2400.

Attached Files:

• ati.jpg
      ati.jpg
      File size:
      88.7 KB
      Views:
  15. innerpeace

Thanks farmerlee, This may sound like a silly question, but is a DirectX 10 card backwards compatible? I only have DirectX 9.0c and Windows XP home. I did have a look and can find some for around $50.

16. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I found out it is fully compatible with directx 9 and windows xp/mce. Its a good option if plan to upgrade to vista in the future.

17. innerpeace

Thanks. I will have a good look at it then. I'll also assume that the 'off-brands' will be DX9 compatible too.

18. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Thanks dNor :thumb:

19. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

20. Durad

Durad Registered Member

I would suggest you to replace that power supply first because these are known as system destroyers.

Check google about eMachine and power supply problems.

21. innerpeace

Thanks Durad, I did google as suggested and you are right. I guess I will hold off on buying a graphics card until I upgrade my power supply. I don't want to press my luck.

@ markymoo

Thank you for the links. It looks like it is a smart idea to upgrade my PS first. I will bookmark your links for later use.

22. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

23. innerpeace

Hi markymoo, I'm not sure what to enter for cpu. I'm confused about which one to pick under the 'socket' types. It's and AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.19 gigahertz, 128 kilobyte primary memory cache, 512 kilobyte secondary memory cache.

I also added another 512MB of RAM this year for a total of 1024MB, but with my built in graphics (ATI express 200) I end up with 896MB. One of the best investments I have made :).

I opened my box tonight and found out my PSU is a Bestec ATX-300-12E Rev: D. I'm not sure if this is one of the more reliable one's that emachines used or not. I have had this machine for 2 1/3 years and shut it down when not using it. I just don't want to push my luck by installing a graphics card that may end up killing my computer. Of course I will consider getting a PSU and one of the suggested graphics cards if I can afford it.

24. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

25. innerpeace

Thanks WSFuser, it's a Newcastle S745. Now, if I can just figure out what all the PCI stuff means on the calculator, I'll be set.

I also have Everest Home Edition installed for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.