Recommend DNS services to fight against malware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Kernelwars, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Probably due to complaints. DynDNS has an option to block advertising but requires free registration to turn on.

2. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I have always used a host file but I decided to use Cloud computing servers.By the way thanks everybody for the links.

Do I need DNS client in windows enabled? Cuz it's off.

3. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

ClearCloud DNS has been doin' it's job quite well on my home network for almost 10 days. Since it's still in beta phase, you can report any FP on the forum and the people @ Sunbelt will get it taken care of in no time. I've reported a couple and I was amazed how fast they got them back on track.

Just keep in mind that CC it's not intended as content filtering but malware filtering. So do not expect to see it blocking sites with "bad" content. Instead it will block any access to domains filled with exploits, scams or false av scanners.

EDIT: Typo

4. datarishik

datarishik Registered Member

The DNS client service should be kept disabled when using a Hosts file. I think you don't need it unless you are using IPSEC service which will cease to work if the DNS client service is disabled. The service is also required to repair network connection.

5. Rilla927

Okay, thanks!

6. elapsed

That's not true. People recommend disabling it for large HOSTS files as it may cause slowdown, however in newer Operating Systems it can actually cause a bigger slowdown disabling it.

Long story short, try with both disabled and enabled and see which is faster.

7. datarishik

datarishik Registered Member

Thanks for that elapsed. I also meant a LARGE HOSTS file which may slow down a machine with DNS client service enabled.

8. Rilla927

I agree with you there cuz that happened to me when I had DNS (a large host file) enabled and ever since I disabled it everything has been fine. My system literally came to a crawl.

So far so good with the Cloud DNS servers.

9. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

ClearCloud DNS working good here also. No slowdowns on my machine.

10. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Does anyone have any updated feedback on which DNS has the best protection against Malware?

I have seen some indication that the Barracuda Networks Malware site list used by DnyDNS is good.

Does anyone know where ClearcloudDNS gets their list of Malware sites?

Thanks in Advance.

11. elapsed

Yes Dyn is good but it is not as good as a dedicated one like Norton or ClearCloud. Dyn is for more fine grain control of your Internet experience.

12. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

This is an excerpt from their FAQ's:
    Also, Sunbelt receives samples through their CWSandbox and ThreatNet (network of VIPRE/CounterSpy users).

13. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

ClearCloud working fine here. :thumb:

14. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

Clearcloud is definitely improving..Happy user:thumb:

15. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Had used OpenDNS now using DynDNS for about a week now.
    Have it set up through my router, using the Internet guide free Defense plan.
    Blocked categories - Conficker Worm, Phising, Spam, Spyware. I also had the box for Advertisments and Pop Ups checked but found this a bit too restrictive due to some legitimate sites that I use daily being blocked but it also did the job of blocking a lot of malicious sites that I know of also mainly through the Spyware blocked feature.

16. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

ClearCloud DNS has a blocklist impressive, It is very help in security. :thumb:

17. Jav

Jav Guest

I personally had better experince with Norton DNS rather than ClearCloud.
    In terms of speed and relaibility.

And I think there is no point comparng them in malware blocking.
    1- because it is the same unrelaible test as comparing two AVs
    2- in order to come to any conclusion it needs testing done with a lot bigger size samples. And I mean a lot...

Can't comment on dynDns as I haven't tried it yet.

18. Kernelwars

currently using clearcloud dns its really awesome:thumb:

19. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

I went back to the excellent Norton DNS.

1. Norton DNS
    2. ClearCloud DNS

20. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I agree. Norton DNS has been working well for me. I blocks about 50-60% of first page of links at MDL. What it doesn't block firefox recognizes it as an "Attack page". Nothing really gets through either of them. I have to turn both off just to test my security software. Its just not fun.

21. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I had a question about these DNS servers. Is it a good alternative to updating your HOSTS file with Hostsman? It seems like it would be good for friend and family who may not want to use Hostsman, or forget to update it.

22. Kernelwars

You have the answer:thumb:

23. elapsed

ClearCloud or Norton wont block ad websites so aren't really an alternative to a hosts file. That being said, using a hosts file for malware protection is like using a signature based AV in this day and age.

ClearCloud and Norton are the best out there, the only reason I chose CC over Norton was because the block is page is better (No advertisement and the ability to easily report a False Positive on the block page) that and CC also had a better benchmark where I live.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about keeping your hosts file updated, it's not like new advertisement websites are coming out every day. I've added the MVPS HOSTS file to people machines over a year ago and they still don't see ads.

24. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

How would using Firefox + Adblock Plus (Malware Domains + EasyList + Easy Privacy subscriptions) compare with a hosts file for fighting Malware?

Thanks in Advance.

25. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Well, for Firefox you'd be blocking other ads sources rather than domain sources. An example would be the banner ads in Softpedia. You can't block them with a hosts file, because the ads are coming from within Softpedia itself. So, you'd need to block such type of ads by using an extension like Adblock Plus, for example.

As for fighting malware, the hosts file would just block access to such domains globally, while Adblock Plus would prevent it for Firefox only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.