Recommend a NetBook!

Discussion in 'hardware' started by whitedragon551, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

My wife had an HP DV6258SE and had loads of issues with it. I will never use another HP computer.

Needless to say its out the window.

She needs something for browsing the net, checking email, word processing with the word 2007 suite, maybe a few instant messengers. Its more or less for college course work.

Size doesnt matter, the more portable the better I suppose. Wireless is a must. Ram isnt a big deal as I have the HP's 2Gbs still and most netbooks only take 2Gbs max anyways.

Budget is the biggest issue. Looking around $200-$300 at the most.

Im looking for suggestions, pros, cons, and issues that you have had.

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

3. whitedragon551

Were getting basically the same model, but with the newer N450. We looked at the MSI, Acers, and the Asus EEEPC's and she decided on a 1001 in royal blue.

4. linuxforall

Good choice, you won't regret it.

5. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

The choice is a one way to these 3 brands: Asus, Samsung, MSI.
    Asus: best construction quality and best design
    Samsung: good construction quality, maybe the worse design but you'll rarely hear about a dead Samsung. Samsung updates for years the drivers.
    MSI: good construction quality, good design.

These machines have almost all the same features. Something alternative? Machines with ION2 or AMD based.

The 1001 you have chosen is a great machine.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

7. linuxforall

Yes it is, they have newer one too, this refurb comes with warranty and is a great deal for the size of the screen.

8. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I highly recommend looking above the Netbooks and more into the ultra portable size. You mention word processing.

Netbooks are OK for some people for very basic use...light web surfing, e-mail. Those who do heavier web surfing and documents usually find two things they can't get past.
    *Usable resolution...having to intensely scroll up, down, left, right..just to view websites. And of course for word processing, and especially spreadsheets..they're difficult..as you can only see a small chuck of your project.
    *Usable keyboard size..if you're doing heavy word processing...that cramped and often unstandard keyboard becomes a burden.

Once you step up to 12" screen and above...you can still get that small, light, portable quality...but importantly the usability of the unit starts to become apparent. The resolution becomes workable...that website will fit in the screen without left 'n right scrolling, same with documents/spreadsheets. And the keyboard is more standard.

Acer
    Asus
    MSI..good stuff.

2x XMas's ago I got my wife a Dell Mini..after a few minutes of "Oh how adorable, isn't it cute?"....she started realizing the limitations of the small size. Sold that and picked her up a 13" model for her that she now loves.

9. whitedragon551

10. linuxforall

11. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

ASUS Eee PC come with a program called ASHE this program allows you to overclock the unit a bit. GMA from Intel slows these netbooks down too much. 166MHz for GPU is the issue. SHE from ASUS increase that 200MHz still not the max is 400MHz the a program called GMA Booster could be use. The only issue with GMA Booster is the fact you have to keep installing it because the author wants you to cough up some bread for it. I think the best way to run these netbooks is with IOBIT Advance System Care Free or Pro and then enable Turbo Boost mode. Disable running memory hugging items. Then the nebook will run quick.

Netbooks
    ASUS Eee PC
    ACER

There is a tweak you can apply to make use of 1024x768 and 1154x863 instead of the 1024x600. Using the other two gives you more viewing space. But by default with GMA it's disable under Windows 7 on netbook screen. Active if you use external monitor.

Fastest browser is Google Chrome for netbook.

12. whitedragon551

Im not touching Google or IOBit products. They are both shady as an be.

13. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

I would whole-heartedly recommend Samsung Go. Here, in India, retailers are positively surprised at the lack of complaints Samsung netbooks have as compared to say Acer and MSI.

14. tipstir

Really how so? I've been using them on everything I got here. I've dropped Firefox, Spyware Blaster, RAV, RPCD and Tune-up U-2010.

15. tipstir

Nope not going with Samsung too much issues after a year or two. Wasted too much money. Never again. HP, ACER (ACER/Gateway) are just fine. These are sold like crazy here. Toshiba too but I would rate that 3rd.

16. whitedragon551

IOBit stole MBAMs database and down right denied it. Once a thief always a thief.

Have you read googles EULA for Chrome? No thanks.

17. tipstir

Which line # is bothering you under the EULA? IOBIT did what! But does it really matter today? Everyone clones, re-engineer, grab data redo and shell out their version. Car makers do it. They want to know how they do that? Then give it another name which is basically the same thing. I am not saying it's right or wrong. Being a programmer myself and develop my own code in C++ for my Windows applications to be released online was a very much concern throughout the 90's thru 2001. Too much code being broken down and enhanced, how else are they going to give you want you all want today? Something that works!

Windows OS from start to current all flavors of Server and Client, needs to be smart enough to clean-up after itself. This is where MS needs to focus and scope the issue. I would like to be in the conference room and let the VPs know crap in crap out needs to be address.

I wrote a program to fix WF (Windows Faults) and MS told me you could make a million on this program but we have solve this issue in Windows 98. Today the issue is called BSD (Blue Screen of Death) It hasn't gone away! Note my program works until XP version.

Didn't want to get off the topic. Back to recommend netbook!

18. whitedragon551

They downright stole it and denied it when they were confronted. Their download was even removed from Downloads.com and other sites because of the theft. Car makers do it, but its licensed not stolen.

Heres some info on Googles shadiness:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2008/09/google-on-chrome-eula-controversy-our-bad-well-change-it.ars

Heres one of our own topics here at Wilders on Googles pathetic Privacy:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=269263

No thanks. I already picked a netbook and we already have it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  19. tipstir

What did you finally get? Also GC for now is what I use. It's fast on everything I got like the Atom, Dual, and Quad. Plus I am Face Book with Cafe World and Firefox and IE is just too slow to mange huge complex Java Client Graphics. Even Zynga recommends GC and not use FF.

20. whitedragon551

This here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220676

Facebook is lame and Zynga cant even code Street Racing without losing everyones rides and stats let alone give advice on browsers.

21. tipstir

Nice netbook! I also have Eee PC with ASHE running. But you're aware of the N270, N280, & N450 are just marginal differences in CPU performance otherwise almost the same performance. I've tuned now GMA so the CPU runs at 1.67GHz, also let the ASHE max the GMA to 200MHz. I could go higher to 400MHz using the crazy GMA Booster. I already have the OS set to High Performance. My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. Under the Netbook display I've forced VIS (visual image size) from 1024 x 600 to 1024 x 768 or 1152 x 864 By default GMA extended views are disabled. They only enable when you use external monitor. I get that now on the netbook 10.1 screen.

See this video from me on what I have.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozBKqbG-woE

I show both ACER Aspire One A205xx and ASUS Eee PC 1005HAxxx. Both are now running 2GB. Uses PC2-6400.

Well I am on Face Book and Zynga forum getting to give me what I need instead of these kids themes they keep on releasing. I only run my Cafe on Cafe World, other than that it's okay for a social network. Find old school mates and such. At least can see what your friends now look like today. :D

22. whitedragon551

I went with the N450 because of the added battery life. Its a more efficient CPU. I have to upgrade the RAM though. Any ideas on thoughts for the RAM?

23. tipstir

Just buy crucial 2GB / 200PIN DDR2 / PC2-6400 CL6

I had gotten this for a good price off Amazon. I didn't see a good deal on Newegg. I had ordered two different type of 2GB because the ACer Aspire One A205 uses a different RAM, but it's also crucial. The guy I got it from 3rd vendor was quick on the shipping and didn't charge for shipping. By-the-way you I have the same color and specs but still I enjoy using that one more. The Acer one is good too same color also. Amazon had a crazy deal for it one Saturday so I hopped on it. Told many but they didn't but to buy it. Now when they see both of them well you know what happens to people to don't act quickly!

24. whitedragon551

Are you sure that EEEPC model will take 6400? I thought it took DDR2 667 5300.

25. tipstir

Two things you can do:

1. download CPU-z and see what it reads for memory type?
    2. open the bottom panel be very, very careful that you don't loose the copper pin that's in the tiny screw.. Now see what they gave you.

It's listed as 800Mhz but CPU-Z shows it as 400MHz. I had taken out the 1GB and replace it with 2GB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.